Lumia 950 huge screen calibration problem. Please test and post results.

Alex Belarus

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
james - that is still very bad...
Can anyone have access to a Samsung amoled?
Doesn't really matter which model (except note one, it has the same problem). Then we can put it side by side and compare in both test images and videos. I wasn't able to get a hold of tha s6 that I had a month ago yet, but maybe next week... That will be the ultimate test and comparison before I'll send it to the repair center, so no one feeds me the same crap that this is how amoleds look.

Yesterday I checked the picture on a Galaxy Note 3. And gray shades were displayed correctly. Unfortunately I didn't make a photo to compare. Maybe I'll try to do it tomorrow.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
if those are team leaders then I understand why we have this quality...at 25-26 years old like most of them look like you can't have proper experience to be a TL in a project of such magnitude

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
It depends...
There must be a balance... to old and you loose the contact with the progress. To young and not enough experience....
However these are the guys we have right now...

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
It depends...
There must be a balance... to old and you loose the contact with the progress. To young and not enough experience....
However these are the guys we have right now...

and another thing is that they seem too few...compared to how many engineers Apple and Google have for the OS Team

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
The number is huge... don't worry about that. It is not like the biggest software company in the world has "some" devs. The problem is that the company is reorganising and right now is a bit of chaos. For instance, it used to be 2 totally different teams: phone and pc. Now they are the same team and try to put both code bases inside the same thing - aka OneCore. They are still in the process.
Ah.. and the testers. Now that number is way too small. The insider project cannot substitute a very good and professional testing department.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
this is actually very common on lots of (AM)OLED display, just found out my Samsung OLED TV also has this issue too. it is just the natural of how OLED works. you could softwarely adjust it, but might still be there a little, just not so noticeable.

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
"a little" would be fine. on the 950, is "massive"...
And since I saw many OLED's that look very good (probably inside "a little") including the 950XL then this is not normal for the regular 950.
I'll wait until the first Redstone build and see if this would be adressed. If not, then service it is, and I'll keep sending it until the screen is at least on par with that XL I've seen. Otherwise might get the money back and grab a XL, but that would be the last resort, as the XL is too big for me...

Burnbackin

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
What I really dislike about my 950xl screen compared to the 950 is the shift in color when you tilt the screen. The xl becomes blueish particularly with white background, while the 950 reproduces almost perfect white. Anyone an explanation for that?

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
What about the missing auto grayish feature of the nav bar that were on WP8.1 to prevent burn-in?
Nobody seems to care about that.

abogdan

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
When I've got the feedback notification about current windows built I mentioned also this issue even that it might be more related to the firmware. I also put the link of this forum thread.
I advise you to do the same in order to get attention of MS about our expectation to solve this problem.
Once the issue it will be recorded in the MS feedback database from many of us I don't think that their quality management system and software development methodology will let them to ignore us.

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
It appears that the display driver cannot be loaded.
I've entered into Device Manager on PC with the 950 on developer mode (Device Portal) and we have a "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" with "ProblemCode : 31" - I.e.: windows cannot load the driver.

device_manager_950.jpg

This might be a cause for our problem with the screen....

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
@Cosmyc - watching that trailer on both phones side by side like described in the first posts, do you see the black stains and pixelation on both screens? What about the test image?
It would be of great help to test both phones, photograph the screens (you can also set both cameras the same, since they have the same camera) and post the results and photos here.
Also, conecting the XL with Device Portal, what foes it say on the Display driver?
Thank you!

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
@Cosmyc - watching that trailer on both phones side by side like described in the first posts, do you see the black stains and pixelation on both screens? What about the test image?
It would be of great help to test both phones, photograph the screens (you can also set both cameras the same, since they have the same camera) and post the results and photos here.
Also, conecting the XL with Device Portal, what foes it say on the Display driver?
Thank you!

I checked right now the trailer on both at 0:17, red tint on 950 and green tint on the XL, the scene on the XL is very smooth on near blacks as it should be, on the 950 I can clearly see the stains, there's a lot of difference between "grey 6-5-4-3-2-1" to "black 0" and those greys are like the same between them, making the stains. Also I can see more of the dark side on the 950 due to that equal greys, on the XL those zones are black like "greys 4-3-2-1" being "black 0" in comparison.

Edit 1: When the XL is about to lock due to screen time out (dimmed brightness) more grays are turned to deep black and more of the dark side of the scene disappears while in the same case that doesn't happen on the 950.

Edit 2: The display driver thing on the device portal it's exactly the same on both, same numbers, error 31...
Both are in the same firmware (the 2nd one not the 3rd yet) and on build .107.

What test image?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire