MAP Bluetooth Protocol

americangame

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I notice that when I pared my Lumia 920 to my car that it doesn't send text messages via Bluetooth. I know my old Win7 phones could so is this an anomaly on my part or did they get rid of the MAP protocol?

bill257

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I hope this isn't true or there just is a setting that needs tweaked. I found this incredibly useful. I used it all the time on my 2 year old Samsung Focus

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Huh, maybe I'm thinking of a different device then, but I could've sworn I tried it on my 900 and my Dell Venue Pro and it didn't work on either.

Sorry if I gave false information myself though.

gladesmellzgood

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a Kia Optima 2012 and the messaging worked with the default system. It also worked with the way the guy above me described as well. The latter was better because I could talk my response to the car and it sent the message.

Kwantz

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
My HTC Surround (WP7) read text messages via bluetooth to my 2012 Ford Sync. Nokia Lumia 920 with WP8 not supported for this feature. Hopefully either Nokia or Microsoft will support this on their flagship phone.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
My HTC Surround (WP7) read text messages via bluetooth to my 2012 Ford Sync. Nokia Lumia 920 with WP8 not supported for this feature. Hopefully either Nokia or Microsoft will support this on their flagship phone.

Does WP8 give you the option to have text messages read over bluetooth? If so is that option turned on? I know I had to turn that on for it to work on my car, when I upgraded to 7.5.

Other people have confirmed that Sync works perfectly with WP8. I would make sure you have your setting turned on for "read aloud incoming text messages" for bluetooth.
Please let me know if you get it working.

Last edited:

Kwantz

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Does WP8 give you the option to have text messages read over bluetooth? If so is that option turned on? I know I had to turn that on for it to work on my car, when I upgraded to 7.5.

Other people have confirmed that Sync works perfectly with WP8. I would make sure you have your setting turned on for "read aloud incoming text messages" for bluetooth.
Please let me know if you get it working.
Yes, I went to the speech settings on my Lumia 920 and under "Read Aloud incoming text Messages, " I selected "Bluetooth and Headsets" . Still does not work for text messaging. Bluetooth with Sync works for phone and music but not texting. I get the error message from my Ford Sync/Nav display screen that says "Currently connected phone does not support text messaging via bluetooth."

Sequel2k

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happening to me. My 920 with my Ford Gen1 Sync system will not work with Sync's text messaging. The phone's read/reply to text messaging over Bluetooth does work. But, with my 900, both methods worked.

Last edited:

gladesmellzgood

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
This is discerning...I really want this feature to work! It was one of my favorite things about the Lumia 800. I'll still buy it and hope it works with my Kia UVO system.

anon(5373980)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
With WP7.5 on Bluetooth my car would say "Message from XXXXX", You can say read it or ignore" If I would stay read it, it would read the message. Then after that it would say "Reply or im done?" If i said reply i could speak me text message and it would send.

With WP8, after it reads the message it says "call or im done". What happened to the reply option?

I just went to speech settings and checked "Enable Speech Recognition Service", so maybe that will help?

Anyone else seen this?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
There's two different things being discussed here.

"Read aloud incoming text messages" via Bluetooth just uses the A2DP headset protocol. The text message stays within the phone the whole time, just the phone plays out the audio of the message via the car's system.

The Message Access Protocol (MAP) Bluetooth profile will share the content of the actual text message with the car, and the car decides to do with it. Some cars display it on their console, others read it aloud.

There's a lot of confusion of the two options going on here.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just got this feature on the IPhone 4 with the IOS 6 upgrade.

It would be a big step backwards if a phone touted to support BT 3.0 didn't support this.

When I tried to use it my newer vehicle the IP4 worked fine in, I got a message saying "Messages cannot be transferred"

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
When i used the lumia800 the ability to dictate a message back and send it without touching the phone was excellent and it worked with no issues on my car. I can confirm this feature has been removed with wp8. Im in the same car and im now not able to reply to messages. All i can do is call the contact or delete the message.

This is a massive step backwards for me as i spend many hours everyday in a car...

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
When i used the lumia800 the ability to dictate a message back and send it without touching the phone was excellent and it worked with no issues on my car. I can confirm this feature has been removed with wp8. Im in the same car and im now not able to reply to messages. All i can do is call the contact or delete the message.

This is a massive step backwards for me as i spend many hours everyday in a car...

You need to go into settings, and enable Speech Recognition. It works the same way in WP8 as it did in WP7, with the added bonus that after you finish a sentence you can say "Add more."

But again, that has nothing to do with the MAP Bluetooth Profile.

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
You need to go into settings, and enable Speech Recognition. It works the same way in WP8 as it did in WP7, with the added bonus that after you finish a sentence you can say "Add more."

But again, that has nothing to do with the MAP Bluetooth Profile.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. It works fine now..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos