My friends Nexus 5 shoots way better photos than my lumia 920.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
actually that part is true,the camera quality has been going down with each update
portico took better photos but that still doesnt mean nexus 5 takes better photos,the lumia 720 and 820 still beat the nexus 5 all running on latest updates etc

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
The problem is the firmware which handling the camera of the device, while the hardware of the camera looks good, however, the more they update the more it become a nightmare. That's something Microsoft need to solve now, I think the Cyan update is not improving anything at the camera because I had a chance to play with the Lumia 930 already.

Sample photo of Nexus 5, everything's auto:

http://i.imgur.com/oXeKs0R.jpg

I was totally ignorant of the fact N5 could take such wonderful pics. You have my compliments. That's really sharp and rich in details

amigappc

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I dont know about pictures because I bought the lumia 920 to record videos, when I bought the lumia it had black and after a few weeks I installed portico and the differencies are big, with similar conditions the amount of detail and the sharpness is incredible, especially with the grass or anything close to the camera on portico you can see every detail while in black everything is blurred and with low detail.

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I dont know about pictures because I bought the lumia 920 to record videos, when I bought the lumia it had black and after a few weeks I installed portico and the differencies are big, with similar conditions the amount of detail and the sharpness is incredible, especially with the grass or anything close to the camera on portico you can see every detail while in black everything is blurred and with low detail.

/\ this!!!

M0TH3R_FR4GG3R

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
By Reading 90% of all articles on the internet, doing ALOT of research, I've come down to & only 1 simple FACT.
Nokia has F&$ked up the Post Processing quality Since GDR1, causing artifacts, yellowish tint, softness & what not, to each his own nightmare.
Lumia Cyan is not officially out yet so CANNOT judge the final result yet, but they seem to be rather disappointing too.
In short, for making faster AF & Quick Shots, they reduced the post processing power in order to speed up the time between photos taken, simple as that...
Only if someone could make a ROM, like CyanogenMod WITH the PP quality that of Amber or GDR1 with WP8.1, etc, I'd do it right away !

Here is a Sample AGAIN, Before Processing & After Processing image.
wp_ss_20140705_0006.jpg WP_20140705_22_51_58_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Can't they just stop the effing post processing. Everyone hates it. But they insist on keeping it. Just stop the post processing stupid algorithm!!!!!

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
What I realized is that in Black uses more noise reduction, and that ends up leaving the photo less sharp and more blurry too.

Yes, and indeed, translate the processing algorithm in to normal language of cosumer is "bad quality", that's it! People don't get the reason, if the camera wants to prove it's good, it needs to give the good quality as 'auto' settings

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, and indeed, translate the processing algorithm in to normal language of cosumer is "bad quality", that's it! People don't get the reason, if the camera wants to prove it's good, it needs to give the good quality as 'auto' settings
I was viewing some photos taken with the N8, 2010...
Photos with the N8 and 808 were quite natural. Without much post-processing, the same with GDR1.
https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=relevance&text=Nokia N8

salmanahmad22

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 5 sports an 8 Megapixel shooter coupled with an F2.4 aperture. Since it's debut Google has improved the speed, color accuracy and performance to make Nexus 5 a capable shooter. Due to that high aperture the camera manages to achieve a high level of detail in bright light conditions however constantly under performs in lowlight.

All phones with an f2.0 aperture or lower, such as the HTC One, Lumia 720 or 920 do have problems with noise in most situations but manage to give you exceptional lowlight shots. The only problem with Lumia cameras is the very slow focusing and shutter speed. Nokia has said that it will improve the speed of the camera in Cyan but only for Snapdragon 800 devices.

920 is a capable shooter but it provides better photos when held steady, on the other hand Nexus 5 takes better photos in real day-to-day conditions where a fast focusing speed is required.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
not true,while your facts were true,the nexus 5 is not really comparable to the carl zeiss touting lumias except the shutter speed which despite being faster in the nexys 5 but loses out badly in low light etc
this is general logic that for best low light photos,shutter speed etc need to be lowered even in a dslr when taking a night shot which involves a 30 second timer with slower shutter speed etc and the dslr needs to be mounted on a tripod with the flash turned off hence the slow speeds of the lumias are justified and take better photos than nexus

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The problem of Nokia is in these factors:
-Loss of contrast
-Loss of "clarity" (let the black more defined, giving impression of sharpness)
-Loss of colors
-White balance
-Prioritize high ISO, even when you don't have to

Here I agree with you. And everything you said before is just about it. High ISO.

But we love to complain! That's our favorite job.

At first, Lumia had a tendency to have blurryphotos at low light because exposure time was too high and ISO too low (for good quality and less noise).

Nokia fix it.

Now people are complain about bad colors, less sharpness, low contrast levels and other things. Well, that's exactly what people was asking for!!! To fix blurry photos, we need different exposure times, less light in sensor and, of course, high ISO to compensate.

Still that, Lumia 920 is better than Nexus 5. Have IOS, a MUCH BETTER camera app and very good low light performance. With flash ON at nigh, Nexus 5 is just ridiculous if you compare with 920. At day, 920 is just a regular cameraphone. Even Iphone 4s or Galaxy S3 are good. At night only the bests survives, like Lumia 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h