MyFitnessPal no longer supporting Windows Phone?

phillyphan23

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I started seeing issues accessing MyFitnessPal via my Win 10 Mo phone. I contacted their tech support and received this response

AUG 11, 2016 | 12:10PM PDT
Hi George,

Please accept our sincerest apologies if you are having issues accessing the app. Unfortunately, due to several issues with the app, and not enough demand of the app from our members, we have decided to no longer offer an app on the Windows platform.

Due to limitations of the Windows Phone store, we are unable to provide ongoing access to the app for existing users. Once a member logs out of the app, access to the app will no longer be available.

For members that may still have access to parts of the app, we are also unable to further support triaging of the app.

Your account can still be accessed via our main website at www.myfitnesspal.com or via the iOS and Android platform.

I cannot find it in the store.

I sync my bike rides, walks, and golf rounds from my Band 2 with MyFitnessPal but soon I will be unable to enter my meals from my phone. I've used Microsoft products since 4K BASIC and their mobile devices since Win CE 1.0. I want to stay on the Microsoft ecosystem but regardless what some people say, the app gap is real and will kill this platform.

I'm hoping the Surface Phone changes things; if not I may leave.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That is unfortunate but not surprising. No scanning food into the app now I guess. I guess it's easy for a company to ignore say 50,000 users when they likely have millions on Android.

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Wow. I was wondering why it was acting finicky on my 950.
Sucks. I don't think there is another food tracking app that even comes close to its functionality. The food scanning was a huge part of my usage.
I'll be forced to use the website or the app on my android tablet. Very inconvenient.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
This is a thread I've been looking for. After updating my Icon to the latest Release build .67, I have been having issues with MFP too. Their response pisses me off. I use the barcode scanning alot. I track everything thru it. Looks like I'll be contacting them as well.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, sorry to say this could be the straw for me. I live on this app, and enjoyed how it integrated with Microsoft Health and my band 2.

jimmy s1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
well as major apps slowly start withdrawing their apps from windows 10 for mobile platform, i wonder it is some sort of indication on a slowly dying platform..... oh well

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
This is bad news for me. I use this app all day long! I recently had surgery on my throat and have to log everything I eat and drink. This was the perfect app for that. Plus the useful nutritional tracker has we actually paying attention to the calories and carbs I take in and as such I have lost 50 lbs using this app. I am sad to see it go and it is just another missing app pushing me away from the platform...

:(

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping the Surface Phone changes things; if not I may leave.

Surface phone will not change anything, MS will target enterprise with surface phone, as MS has already specified, they will have launch a version for enthusiasts which means their advertising etc will target enterprise and enthusiasts will be able to buy it via retail but thats abt it. no further efforts will be put onto popularize WP/W10m for consumers.

As with previous surface products, clearly Surface phone will target very countries leaving out majority of crowd where WP still had reasonable market share.

Also this is how MS treats its own platform.
Skype for Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT will cease to work in 'early 2017' | Windows Central

what else can we expect from other devs.

I'm just waiting to see what Nokia does on its reentry with Android, till then will hold into my lumia 730

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the next logical step would be for MS to go BB way, either develop a android fork or have android apps run via sideloading on WP

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that's pretty bad on the Skype support, I mostly use Viber (since AT&T doesn't allow native VoLTE), but I bet most of these vendors will pull out in the coming months.
My CU (which was mostly built/funded on MS customers) is building a new UWP app, but it requires the AU update, which is a pain, since my daughter is on a 1020 (yeah, I know I could hack it, but I'm hesitant), and won't be able to use the app.
Granted, I mostly use the web-based access, but for some things, like depositing checks, it requires an app, non-web-based.

I don't use many apps, but the handful I do are going to be tough to get around, the CU one, Viber, Skype, G3-carfinder, Wallet, Glympse (already sort of not working), TeamViewer, and a few others.
If the support goes to zilch, I won't have much choice, Android I suppose. I like my Android tablet, but really don't want it on my Phone, after almost 7 years of Win Phone.
I don't see many app vendors coming back to a Surface Phone if/when it comes along, unless it somehow magically took off.

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Been using a little workaround. When you open the MyFitnessPal app and you see the "Could not connect to Myfitnesspal. Tap to try again" message, just select 'diary' and you will be able to enter your meals.

jimmy s1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft keeps reiterating that mobile is part of their plan, but all the evidence points to otherwise. Apps are vanishing slowly, the promised flagships arrive little too late and then they are not even worthy, and the market share is ever shrinking. I mean I seem to be complaining these days cause I like the platform over android, which is highly utilitarian, but ends up being messy after some use, IOS never really sold it for me, but microsoft is leaving us hanging and dry, at this point it seems

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Oh, it gets better....

Hi 1B1P,
Yes - there is an existing app for Windows Phones, but it is not as up to date as iOS or Android versions of the app. Again, thank you for your suggestions.

All the best,
The FatSecret team

Well, I have a FS app on my windows phone now…and since your taking suggestions, please add the barcode scanner to the windows phone app.

Oh, since MyFitnessPal no longer supports Windows Phone, I have been using FS exclusively. I will be promoting FS on the Windows Central forums!!! Add the barcode scanning and water consumption and you will have a winner!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Been using a little workaround. When you open the MyFitnessPal app and you see the "Could not connect to Myfitnesspal. Tap to try again" message, just select 'diary' and you will be able to enter your meals.

I don't think it's syncing to your account. It's only staying locally on the phone.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I've stopped using MFP. I'm only using FatSecret. Even though their app isn't as updated as iOS and Android, it still functions. Give Fat Secret a shot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss