New to 950 XL (from 1520) Current best OS version: Annv Update or Insider?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Which is the currently the smoothest best build to have for this phone? Insider or Anniversary?

Also, this is my first unlocked device, using on a carrier that really doesnt sell or support it. Anything I should know? Probably should've asked that before hand but at this stage Im happy enough to have moved on from the 1520. I wanted a successor to it but got sick of waiting. The screen has a hundred cracks and it runs poorly on WP10 and the battery just wasnt holding up well.

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I am currently running the release preview insider ring on mine and am very happy with it. Phone is performing well and battery life has been very good. Congrats on the new phone. It's a great device hope you enjoy it.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am on the release preview (Effectively the production level but you get updates a few days early), only because I couldn't wait for the proper update, I am happy with the build.

I would stay clear of the fast and slow lanes as these are Redstone 2 early builds and will include lots or bugs.

If you want real stability stay on standard release and away from insiders, you only really gain a few days if you go on release preview.

Welcome to the 950 XL, as far as I am concerned a worthy successor to the 1520.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I also have an unlocked 950XL DS, I am on insider fast and I love it. Remember thou the insider program will have bugs from time to time. I don't think wifi calling works on this is one of the major drawbacks

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I am currently running the release preview insider ring on mine and am very happy with it. Phone is performing well and battery life has been very good. Congrats on the new phone. It's a great device hope you enjoy it.

When you say battery life is good, are you referring to the standby time or in-use time?

mlbrowninsc

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
When you say battery life is good, are you referring to the standby time or in-use time?

I've actually had good in use time. I generally use it for calls text email and stream music most of the day at work. I generally leave work with around 75 percent battery left. Now yesterday I was out taking a lot of pictures and the camera did burn through some battery. Lost like 50% in an hour and a half shooting photos. But I find my 6s will do likewise under heavy use like that.

With the quick charge on the 950xl though it's pretty quick to get topped off. I have the quick charge in my car so I have quick capability at home and mobile.

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
i'm on redstome build 2.....from build 1 to 2 i see significant improvement in scrolling in app/applist/edge etc,opening uwp app became fast...launch time of other port apps are also improved but not as good as compare to uwp apps.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I'm sticking with Anniversary update for now.

Love the phone so far but if I have one gripe its the speaker being only on the back. I have to have volume way up to really hear any notifications in most cases. Or when using for navigation in the car. I don't know why they made that decision but I think it was a very poor one.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Forgot to add about the sound. The first few sound levels seem nearly useless unless you have the phone up to your face. 1 - 3/4 are so weak.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss