Nokia 822 Random Lock Ups and Reboots?

racerjim

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the 822 on Verizon and have had the phone randomly reboot a couple times. Both times I was in my office on the 40th floor where reception is a bit spotty, so that may have something to do with it.

Of bigger concern to me is the problem I've had syncing music to the phone. I'm using a SanDisk 32gb microSDHC card. No matter what method I use to sync (the don't-call-it-Metro WP8 app, the Windows 8 desktop app, or drag and drop in file explorer) the transfer process locks up, requiring me to exit the app/cancel the transfer, turn off my computer (because once this happens I can't "safely remove the hardware"), and pull the battery from my phone (if I try to shut it down normally, it just hangs on the "Goodbye" screen forever).

I've done a full format of the card on the computer and in my phone. I'm also able to put the card directly into my computer via a card reader and transfer files to it no problem; the locking only occurs when I'm transferring to the card while it's in my phone. The phone seems to read the card just fine otherwise; I can download podcasts to it through Xbox Music and play them back without issue, and when I go to settings it accurately shows the card and it's available storage.

Anyone else having similar issues? I'm hoping this is a software/firmware bug and I don't have to return my phone for a new one. Thanks in advance.

+1 here. seems like the phone was having trouble writing to the card, and when it wrote a bad sector, the phone would lock just as you said. I finally put the card in my computer, transferred everything over, and it seems to be reading everything fine. It might be a phone problem, but not a deal breaker for me, since tranfering in my computer took about 1/10 the time it was taking in the phone before it got horked up.

The xbox music app found everything right away. The Nokia music app took a little while longer, but eventually everything showed up.

Also, FWIW, no random lockups yet.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Myself, I've had a couple problems as I've noted before in this thread, but I'm not concerned. Nokia has been responsive in the past, and I expect that if it is their problem they'll be out with a patch to fix it, likewise Microsoft. This is the first wave of the phones, and I don't get surprised when something happens, as testing by the company is never going to be as extensive as putting tens or hundreds of thousands in people's hands, so you're always going to discover problems on launch. Look at Apple with iOS 6 maps, iPhone 5 with the purple haze in the pictures with lights, and the antennagate.

Cshel2874

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have had the phone for 48 hours now. first night while transfering pictures and music to the phone it locked up twice which required a battery pull. Second day and night I had issues holding signal. It kept saying I had 4g lte and connected to wifi, but it wouldn't send a picture message to anyone and it would suddenly say I had no signal. My Mom and I were shopping together and her Iphone had signal and had no issues and we are both with verizon. I returned a Samsung Galaxy 3 because of glitches and connectivity issues and went with a Nokia because they were always known to be a good solid phone with great reception, but now I am concerned. This will be my third time going back to bb to return a phone in the last 4 months and change it out. I am starting to wonder if it isn't the phones at all and it verizon is causing all the problems! I am going to test it at work tomorrow as that is the final test...signal is on and off around my work, but my iphone always got some signal so if this doesn't then I may just return them both (my son got one too) and just go back to a simple texting phone!

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been on my second VZ 822 since I exchanged it. So far no further issues at all. It has been working like a champ and I was even able to sync some playlists with my Mac. With the first phone I kept having issues, where the Windows Phone (mac app) would crash as soon as it would detect the phone. Last night I figured it was time to load some tunes and not one issue, except for those pesky DRMed songs from iTunes.

Glad I didn't give up on this phone, so far I am really loving the whole experience with the OS and the phone. Just want the Otterbox!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I got mine the 15th and it's locked up three times. I hope Microsoft pushes an update that fixes these issues. Mine isn't bad so it really doesn't bother me, but I know some are having real problems with this.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I got mine the 15th, it locked up 3 times over the next 3 days after that, and I can't recall a single problem with it since.

radioage54

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had a lockup today. At my work, I work alot in shielded rooms and so I put the phone in Airplane mode. Today, I put it in Airplane Mode in the morning and at lunch, I switched off the airplane mode but the phone just kept searching and even after I went outside where I always have full bars and LTE, it kept searching. Did the battery pull reset and all was fine? I have used the mode before without trouble so am not sure what went wrong. All I can think is maybe when I switched it to AP mode, it might of cutoff a handshake with tower or something and then when back on, couldn't find tower or not sending connect requests??? Maybe a Verizon thing too but never happened on my old Droid?

oelshami

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I had the same similar issue with one of my 822 and the SanDisk 32GB card. When I slammed it with music downloads or otherwise used it heavily it would lock the phone requiring a battery pull. I switched the card out to a 16GB I had laying around did the same thing, no issue so far. I think they just don't like SanDisk 32GB cards for some reason.

Keith Beck

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine 3 days ago. No SD card and I've had 2 lockups and a random reboot. Love the phone, but I hope it is software and not hardware. Getting very concerned at this point.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine 3 days ago. No SD card and I've had 2 lockups and a random reboot. Love the phone, but I hope it is software and not hardware. Getting very concerned at this point.

Me, too. Microsoft has already said they're pushing a patch next month (next month is tomorrow :wink:) to address some of the problems, though, so we'll see.

cshil

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
A couple of things I've noticed with my lockup issues; my phone never locks up if I'm plugged into the AC adapter, phone locks up more if Bluetooth is enabled. We bought 3 822's in our household and mine is the only one experiencing these issues.

Anonymous7532479

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had my first 822 (black) for maybe a week and I didn't have a single freeze, reboot, or anything. Returned it for the white one and on my way home, I connected my Motorola blue tooth and it froze up for a couple of minutes. Never connected by blue tooth on the first 822, so I don't know if it's a blue tooth thing or what. That being said, it hasn't frozen up again.

-mcskipp

ptb127

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I picked mine up launch day and so far no reboots or freeze up. I had picked up the 820 on AT&T and that device froze a few times. I know the 920 and 8X are having issues but as far as the 822 goes it has been a steller device for me the only issue I have is notifications I need to know when I get a text or email for work. I can't believe Microsoft did include this feature on WP8!

I know this is OT, but what does this mean? I want to make the jump to WP8 and get the Lumia 822 (iOS person here) but if there are no notifications, that may be a deal breaker.

thor_molecules

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I know this is OT, but what does this mean? I want to make the jump to WP8 and get the Lumia 822 (iOS person here) but if there are no notifications, that may be a deal breaker.

The original quote is not correct. For one, live tiles fulfill the purpose of a notification center. Two, you can designate apps to provide notifications right on the lock screen.

Personally, -- as a previous Android user and iOS diehard -- I don't get the bellyaching about a notification center. WP8 functions in a way where it is simply not needed. I suspect that people want it only because it's what they're used to.

In any case, I HIGHLY recommend you play with the phone prior to purchase. Like you, I was using an iPhone (4S) and mentally went back and forth for weeks before deciding to take the plunge.

Now a week in with the 822, I simply love it and I'm glad I went for it.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

If you are in an app such as internet explorer and get an email, all you get is the notification sound. You have to go to the start screen to check the email. In a similar situation with a text message you do get a toast notification, so you can tap the toast and quickly get to the message, read and reply, and get back to where you were in internet explorer. You do have lock-screen notifications and live tiles. These work ok, but overall notifications on WP are not the same as they are on android and iOS. I prefer the way android does it and hope WP adopts a similar notification bar. Many like it just like it is. If you know someone with a WP let them show you how the notifications work so you can make your own decision about them.

jochsner

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Howdy all. Hang in there!

I eagerly scored the Nokia 822 at my local Verizon store. It locked up three times in two weeks so I reset it to factory settings and tried it for a while but eventually ran into a lock up. I thought mine was defective and ended up returning it. I went back to my trusty HTC Trophy then came across a great deal on the Nokia 822 at WalMart and thought I'd have another try at it. My new Nokia 822 came in the mail last week and it too locks up (go to press the power button to turn on the screen and it just stays black), albeit rarely. Hopefully there will be an update soon to fix this. Today I had a random reboot and little over an hour ago it locked up. I'm going to check the forums over at Nokia to see if they say anything about it. Nokia and Microsoft will fix our issues just hang in there. I'm loving this phone and not going to any other device any time soon.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I watched mine reboot as it was just sitting on the table the other day. First time in a few weeks. I'm not concerned. Keep in mind that MS is already working on an update to address the issues that we're all having. As a regular early adopter I expect this kind of thing and don't get worked up over it. I like that they've already announced that they're going to be putting out an update to address it. To me, not so big a deal. Like I said, early adopter....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria