Not entirely happy

Carloshki

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I installed 8.1 on my 1520 knowing that the firmware wouldn't quite support everything yet, but am generally pleased so far with its performance and functionality, and have noticed only very few minor glitches. I did "power down" the phone by holding the power button (soft reset? - not sure of the terminology) after the update was complete, and it seemed to help some initial problems. When I have had issues in the past with the phone that can't be resolved in settings, I've always had success by powering down, and maybe letting it sit for a while "off".

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm HAPPY, there are some glitches, battery leaks, etc, but overall quite happy w 8.1 - happy enough to NOT re-flash my phone w WinPhone 8.

This is the Final Beta (RTM) but essentially we are beta testers (we're doing the user testing). Like GDR3, expect a patch to come before the official version is released - and the official version contains the device specific firmware updates, which should tie all this together, nicely. You may even get a patch, soon after taking the official version.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Are there others that have these issues? Or is it just me?

I'm having the power button problem as well. Sometimes when I press the power button, it goes to the horizontal moving dots like it's loading something. In a few seconds the start screen comes back. I have soft reset my ICON 1/2 dozen times in the last two weeks or so just to solve freeze problems as well.

Teague Kelley

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I know it is a developer preview. I know what that means. I know that this is definitely not the final build. I'm just bringing up my problems on my device, maybe someone knows of a fix. Chill out bro.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I use my l1020 everyday.... No problems! Except that some apps don't work properly.... And a soft reset helped with some issues

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I am running 8.1 in developers preview on my first Windows Phone, a Lumia 1520, after many years on Blackberries. One of the still-truly-great things about Blackberry is you can install and run "leaks" and/or other carriers' official OS upgrades on your devices. Blackberry continually tweaks and improves their OS and the carriers in the US were so appallingly slow to approve and rollout new updates that the ability to run leaks or betas became an absolute positive for me. Some US carriers were literally months or even years behind the curve of the latest upgrades. So the ability to nonetheless remain current with the latest OS became critical for me, particularly when BB10 allowed us to run Android Apps. So I've had a lot of experience with upgrading to betas, sometimes downgrading when they were too buggy, and generally assessing the merits of an upgrade by comparing the added values of the new system against the bugs and apps rendered inoperable.

On that plus vs. minus basis, 8.1 is hugely meritorious and among the most stable and bug-free upgrades I've encountered. I have about 150 apps installed and only 5 that are now no longer available after upgrading to 8.1 and 3 of these are available as newer versions. I had an initial issue with battery performance, which settled down after some tweaking and time, and has been resolved. I have had a few instances of dropped wifi which has been easily correctable. Essentially no freezes and only a handful at most spontaneous browser related reboots. All of this despite not yet having the Lumia firmware upgrade and with almost ceaseless tweaking and installing and uninstalling, etc., as per the usual shakedown cruise under a new OS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss