One heck of a week for W10 Mobile. What's everyone feeling?

donzebe

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I am disappointed on how Microsoft has/is handling windows phone (windows mobile), but I still have strong hopes. I know for sure that windows 10 mobile on phone will bounce back to a relevant position in the near future.

patb63

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm a die hard WM user, too. I feel like, in some form or fashion, WM will be around. I just think it's evolving into a more computer-like system. Once it gets there, I think the market share will pick back up.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
@Zac Bowden:

"And there are now rumors that after Redstone 3, Windows 10 Mobile will be killed off."

Don't we have enough "rumors" already? If you know something we don't, why don't you just share that instead of spreading negative rumors?

Per Kjellqvist

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I am extremely happy with my Lumia 950 running Windows 10 Mobile (production version). No need for a better phone for at least another year. I don't know anything out there that has more in terms of hardware and os out there that suits my criteria.
Fantastic screen, dual sim, upgradeable memory, USB -c port, outstanding camera, excellent battery life, speed, removable battery, best possible phone audio, barometer, Cortana, Bing translator (point the camera on a foreign language menu and get an instant translation on the screen - I travel a lot), off-line maps with great navigation (as I said I travel a lot and rent cars in different countries), rugged design with interchangeable back piece (I have a Mozo one now, no screen protector, and carry my phone in my pocket all the time), full integration with my Surface Book and TV screen, and much more.
The word should be drooling over this, but the industry "pundits" have decided it is crap so that is what the public thinks. Humans are strange!

Scott McBurney

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
As long as there is Windows on some sort of device with phone capabilities, I will be using it. Whether that is the current Windows 10 Mobile, or full Windows 10 on ARM.

It is just killing me that MS isn't saying anything about it. I will be at BUILD next month, so hopefully we will get some interesting news, or maybe I will try to corner some MS people and grill them for information! lol

gpoknisjr

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
I've been a Windows Phone user for the last 5 or so years but am officially giving up on it today. Not enough apps available for it to really meet my needs. Plus the lack of new devices from Microsoft has turned me off. Yesterday Windows 10 Mobile has somehow filled up the 8 GB of storage on my 640XL. It says that I have updates available but no matter what I remove from my phone, nothing seems to clear the storage. So I'm going today to buy a Motorola Moto G Plus 5. Maybe I'll come back to Windows Phone if they start bringing out devices more often than every two years.

bonko

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Tried really hard to use a Galaxy S7 Edge after all the noise of MS dropping WP10. As another user said, the Android UI seems really backwards when compared to the Microsoft one.
So many issues with Android:
No live SMS text to speech - its a huge deal for those who drive a lot. Neither iPhone nor Android or Google Assistant support it as elegantly as WP.
No real-time live tiles. in my 950XL, I can just look and know the weather, for example
All kinds of usability elements that Android does not seem to get. (apple does, but dumb UI).
Great integration across onedrive and my laptop - take a photo, it pops up moments later in onedrive.
Gotta tell you, MS marketing needs a lot of help. They blew the phone because they never pitched it right. I hope MS does not give up on the phone, and gets in some smart marketing people.
If only the marketers at MS get their act together

Toby 335

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Well as long as it is working and still have some apps that works than it´s ok. My Nokia N8 Symbian still works so I´m optimistic about all of this!
1020 Work ok without any update so I am feeling good! ;)

Mike-J-G

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been fully invested in Microsoft’s ecosystem at home and professionally for a long time. All the negative articles last week pushed me to take off my rose-coloured glasses and seriously consider what I would buy if I couldn't get a decent mobile device running Windows. That lead to some window shopping which lead to me bringing home a new Android device. I like it. I plan to keep it. Now I’m wondering what part of Microsoft’s ecosystem I might replace next. If I’m done being loyal to Microsoft, it will definitely affect more than just the products they choose to give up on.

Impenneteri

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Well like someone has stated in this forum before, being a WinPhan does not make sense.
We've been through its ups and downs before and I guess will just roll with this one.

Though admittedly this could be the hardest time being a WinPhan ever what with apps dropping support left and right.

It seems to be these app developers are just following Facebook's lead as a lot of these bad news came after Facebook's announcement of dropping Messenger support for 8.1

Take note though that most of these apps being dropped are WP8.1 apps.
Could be signal that it's time to move on from WP8.1 and move to W10M

Well, Most phones like 1520, 930, 830 aren't even gonna get the Creator's Update even though the phone is capable of the update. Sucks to be a Windows Mobile user. I will switch to Android come December. What Nadella's doing to the mobile scene is whack it's like they even have no idea what they're doing.

Eric Szumski

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I left. I bought a ZTE Axon 7. I'm getting used to it, but me missing Skype calls from my daughter.... Not happening. If I don't like this phone, I've been using it only for 2 weeks, I'm going to try the Asus AR coming out later this year. It's been quite a long time using Windows Mobile/Phone. I've probably had about 8-10 models or so total ranging from the Cingular 8125 -> 950XL.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Currently, I am disappointed. My first smartphone was Windows Phone 8. I've used it, I enjoy it and I believe in the Live Tiles. Since that time, I have seen great things, but I believe they lost a lot of momentum they had when Nokia was flooding the market with hardware. The Great Purchase immediately lost that momentum and it has been a downhill slide since. Every year, I fall victim to the new promise of what many have come to know Microsoft for...Coming Soon.

Whatever happened to the retrenching and only building three devices per year? Upper, mid, and lower tier devices. Whatever happened to putting Microsoft first, Mobile first? Whatever happened to Microsoft building high-end devices to showcase Win 10 on Mobile that the people will "love" to use? Whatever happened to concentrating on Win 10 desktop for the Anniversary Update, but then "next year" concentrating on mobile? So many times I have listened with hope and found myself saying "wow, this is it", or "It is going to be BIG". Only it isn't.

I am a middle-aged man that wants to use these apps and options now. I don't have time to wait 10 years for Microsoft to retrench over and over and have the Devs start over again. I am also on Verizon, and can ONLY get Verizon in my area. While newer and more choices are out there, I cannot use them. So for this, I am even more hurt by the turn of events.

To Microsoft, this is Marketing 101. Get the people to believe in what is coming and string them along for years while keeping customers 'satisfied' just enough. Us "fans" are the reason nothing is moving forward. We wait, we hope, we yearn for what 'might' be. The silence from Microsoft is painful. No more promises. No more "Coming Soon".

terra

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition on Android, now that's just funny! Android...LOL ROTFL LMAO.
Now that's showing support for your own platform.

Galaxy S8 Microsoft Edition on W10M, non existent....Why?
Make it so...Microsoft!

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I've been fully invested in Microsoft’s ecosystem at home and professionally for a long time. All the negative articles last week pushed me to take off my rose-coloured glasses and seriously consider what I would buy if I couldn't get a decent mobile device running Windows. That lead to some window shopping which lead to me bringing home a new Android device.

@Zac Bowden/windowscentral, #helpingsellAndroids

?

bing722

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Proud owner of 3 Lumia phones. I'm past due for a new phone now. I keep toying with the idea of a 950 XL or an Idol 4S, but it's a tough decision with no concrete future plan for W10 Mobile. Over the past week, my Edge browser started continually reloading pages after about 15 seconds. My Accuweather app would try to open for 10 seconds, then it crashed. I uninstalled Accuweather and tried to reinstall it, but the Store keeps saying that it's already installed on my device. My Instagram app tries to open for 10 seconds and crashes - it opens on the 2nd attempt after 10 seconds. Instagram doesn't let me delete direct messages. I got Minecraft for free and decided to try it out, but it always crashes after a minute. When I take pictures, sometimes the camera app flashes and the shutter sound plays, but no picture gets saved. I tried to move a few pictures around in my OneDrive app, and it crashed three times in a row. My MSN sports app doesn't show game scores while they're in progress - just the upcoming game and the final score. Waze is extremely outdated, and the directions and hazard warnings never play. Microsoft Maps is hit or miss with street names and audible directions. My Twitter app sometimes reloads and goes back to the top while I'm trying to scroll through my feed. I had a bunch of app updates yesterday, and it took several attempts just to get them to download. The progress bars would spin and spin, and nothing would happen (and they downloaded and installed very slowly). This is all on the regular production updates since I'm not an Insider. Two apps that I use a lot, Runtastic and Spotify, have stopped updating their apps. eBay and PayPal are gone. Amazon is now a web-wrapper. There's just too many compromises.

I used an LG phone for about a year, and I'm starting to miss what I had. I see people saying "Who needs apps? There's always 3rd-party apps and Edge." Yes and no. Amazon sent me notifications when my packages shipped and arrived, eBay made listing easy and sent notifications when my items sold, PayPal notified me when I received payments, I refilled prescriptions through the CVS app, Drudge sent me important news updates, Google Maps worked flawlessly, Waze was fun to use and actually read directions and looked polished, I deposited checks via my bank app, I pre-ordered my Chick-Fil-A food and got loyalty rewards, I responded to people quickly on my OkCupid app, Feedly nicely remembered and organized my chosen blogs and website feeds, I could quickly scroll through my YouTube feed and multitask while videos are playing, I chose my browser from 5 great options, and social media apps (even Xbox) loaded in a couple seconds rather than 10+ seconds. I earned a free pastry at Panera. I downloaded the app while I was out to scan the code and claim it. I paid at Dunkin Donuts with money preloaded in my rewards app by scanning my phone. I got on a flight by scanning a code on the airline app.

One thing that really upset me was losing the free 30 GB I had built up in OneDrive for using the Camera Roll back up on my Lumia. MS stripped my storage down to 5 GB so I had to find other options. I went to Google where I get unlimited picture storage and 15 GB of storage for other documents for free. On my Lumia 640, I can't even back up photos to Google using Edge. I feel like a sucker for being so loyal to a company that offers such a subpar product. You could argue that all of this stuff isn't "necessary," but it sure makes life easier.

MS won't even talk about the future of their phone business anymore. I can't see why I should invest hundreds of dollars in something that is severely lacking and shows no signs of a resurrection. I'm not a hater. I really like live tiles, the Glance screen, the color schemes, the fonts, the messaging, the file explorer, the syncing of my messages to my laptop, and the "cachet" of having something different than everyone else. Without any specific commitment from MS, I'm about to jump ship again.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Verizon users have already progressed through the 5 Stages of Grief. Y'All are behind and need to catch up.....

Believe me...I did go through this in 2015 when it was confirmed Verizon would not get the 950xl and I had to move to Android. It was agonizing...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9dog161616