Pictures + Videos Taken With My Lumia 950 XL

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Here is a picture I took of a coworker to test out the camera. I did edit it slightly to bump up saturation and sharpness just a tad. I figured it's fair game to post, since I edited it with Lumia Creative Studio on the phone itself. I'm very happy with this camera.

WP_20151201_12_19_33_Rich_LI (3).jpg

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLaOgCmH_X8

Here is a video I took of a concert I went to see in Houston. Band is MUSE and the song is The Globalist. I tried to get as much visuals as I can because the song is a story, and quoted from Matt Bellamy:

"The song starts with the same kind of message, a person who feels abandon, unloved and kind of lone and instead of going through a internal journey of darkness and solving that and come back to discover love, they decide to become a dictator, a power hungry maniac and in some ways inflict damage to the rest to the world....Rather than going through an internal journey they decide to go through an external and destructive journey and destroys the world or someone"

I shot it in 4K, and unfortunately I thought I would be able to zoom in like I would in the 1020, to see Matt Bellamy doing his guitar and piano solo. What I do like about the video, is the crowd noise is low, something that the 1020 couldn't do. It was REALLY loud, the crowd cheering on the band, and though it would of been an issue. Its really annoying when you have a video and some girl next to you ruins it with her "wooohOHOHOhOhOHoOWOWOWOOOOOO".

I'm jealous. That's one of my favorite bands and I haven't seen them since The Resistance. Great footage and audio.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

onetwright

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't really get this "final touches" sometimes its automatically done, sometimes not at all.... Sometimes also in manual mode or without rich capturing...

I am still curious though how they managed to create such a picture like this : http://az648995.vo.msecnd.net/devices/2015/10/WP_20150924_09_23_31_Pro-2.jpg

obviously not with rich capture

LOL. That's exactly my question and part of what's preventing me from buying the phone. To be able to capture a photo like this is excellent, but if it's not done with the auto settings then it's a bit less valuable. If it takes a pro photographer, a tripod, and the correct manual settings, it's not likely I'll ever see that quality.

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't really get this "final touches" sometimes its automatically done, sometimes not at all.... Sometimes also in manual mode or without rich capturing...

I am still curious though how they managed to create such a picture like this : http://az648995.vo.msecnd.net/devices/2015/10/WP_20150924_09_23_31_Pro-2.jpg

Here's how they managed:
Welcome to Kino Flo Lighting Systems

That, a crew of probably 5 or 6 people, probably about 500 shots, a producer and a co producer to look through them for three or four days. It is produced. It's an amazing shot, but photography is far more about skill than gear, honestly. There's an old joke:
A photographer is showing off his work at a dinner party. The host looks over his shots and remarks "These are wonderful! You must have a really nice camera!" The photographer holds his tongue. Later, after sitting down to the meal, he takes a bit of his food and exclaims "This is delicious! You must have a really nice stove!"

Con Georgiadis

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

Final touches triggers automatically when your photo is not correctly exposed or there are wrong colors e.tc.
Otherwise it stays off.

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Here's how they managed:
Welcome to Kino Flo Lighting Systems

That, a crew of probably 5 or 6 people, probably about 500 shots, a producer and a co producer to look through them for three or four days. It is produced. It's an amazing shot, but photography is far more about skill than gear, honestly. There's an old joke:
A photographer is showing off his work at a dinner party. The host looks over his shots and remarks "These are wonderful! You must have a really nice camera!" The photographer holds his tongue. Later, after sitting down to the meal, he takes a bit of his food and exclaims "This is delicious! You must have a really nice stove!"

Yes, I know, that it is more about skill than gear... but I just don't see how to produce that sharpness...without additional correction. Even iso 64? I am not even able to set it in manual mode, but iso 50 and 100 .... soooo I am not really sure :D an EXIF can be modified easily. Furthermore the gps coordinates show Finnland....

I am just curious... I have my gear for normal photography... but I try to get the most out of this as well..

Btw if anybody wants to add me : http://flickr.com/photos/laszlozimmer

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I know, that it is more about skill than gear... but I just don't see how to produce that sharpness...without additional correction. Even iso 64? I am not even able to set it in manual mode, but iso 50 and 100 .... soooo I am not really sure :D an EXIF can be modified easily. Furthermore the gps coordinates show Finnland....

I am just curious... I have my gear for normal photography... but I try to get the most out of this as well..

Btw if anybody wants to add me : http://flickr.com/photos/laszlozimmer

If I had to guess, they overlit it to get the f up to 12 or so, and you're absolutely right. They likely geared the phone beyond any normal level. Also, it's probably an isolated sensor mounted on a rig instead of a phone. They cheated their OIS video (DSLR on a steadicam) so I would hope they wouldn't fudge any more demos. I will say that I am positive I could get that image out of the 1020 by debayering and using the green luma channel to sharpen down to a 16mp frame from the 41mp sensor. But yeah, not sure. Worth trying to replicate! Also, your flickr is great! Thanks for sharing!

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
If I had to guess, they overlit it to get the f up to 12 or so, and you're absolutely right. They likely geared the phone beyond any normal level. Also, it's probably an isolated sensor mounted on a rig instead of a phone. They cheated their OIS video (DSLR on a steadicam) so I would hope they wouldn't fudge any more demos. I will say that I am positive I could get that image out of the 1020 by debayering and using the green luma channel to sharpen down to a 16mp frame from the 41mp sensor. But yeah, not sure. Worth trying to replicate! Also, your flickr is great! Thanks for sharing!

Post a how to lol :D
I'm not a pro photographer but I do like messing with the manual settings.

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
You'd have to overlight the subject (since there's no manual iris control) with my key light and fill light. This causes the iris to tighten, letting in less light. That, in turn, widens your depth of field. That's how you get the tack-sharp subject that close to the lens. Next, it looks like they moved the backlight to frame right, so she doesn't have a glowing halo. It's more natural. You MIGHT be able to get all of this in direct sunlight with a bounce too. Anyway, after that, take the DNG file and run it through a post-process debayer in camera raw. Then I'd use a 3rd party filter (which I don't know the name of, off hand) to generate a black and white on the green-only photosites. This would be my luma mask. I'd then use bicubic for a 1:2 scale-down. You'll get a sharper 16MP than you will 32MP. Overlay the luma mask and do your final touches. I don't think I could get it out of the camera directly. But with some post, I'm sure I could.

Con Georgiadis

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
You'd have to overlight the subject (since there's no manual iris control) with my key light and fill light. This causes the iris to tighten, letting in less light. That, in turn, widens your depth of field. That's how you get the tack-sharp subject that close to the lens. Next, it looks like they moved the backlight to frame right, so she doesn't have a glowing halo. It's more natural. You MIGHT be able to get all of this in direct sunlight with a bounce too. Anyway, after that, take the DNG file and run it through a post-process debayer in camera raw. Then I'd use a 3rd party filter (which I don't know the name of, off hand) to generate a black and white on the green-only photosites. This would be my luma mask. I'd then use bicubic for a 1:2 scale-down. You'll get a sharper 16MP than you will 32MP. Overlay the luma mask and do your final touches. I don't think I could get it out of the camera directly. But with some post, I'm sure I could.

You are imagining thinks...Juha who took the photo confirms that the pics has no post processing.
An external light source has been used.

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
You are imagining thinks...Juha who took the photo confirms that the pics has no post processing.
An external light source has been used.

But the filename has the "pro" at the end so it is not rich capture either... but still curious how you can manage to set iso 64 , (maybe auto iso? )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo