Post pictures of your latest purchase

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Don't have a picture yet of the actual Surface with type case BUT am hoping I have the bandwidth for the digital delivery.

View attachment 143134

Weird. I talked to Walmart chat and phone support about the digital delivery bit. Chat couldn't understand the problem. Phone understood but was pretty sure things would work themselves out. Deers in headlights when I suggested they let someone know about the issue with the order page and what happens after the order.

The item still shows digital delivery on the product page. I bought this from Walmart (not a 3rd party selling thru Walmart) and I just found out that if you ask to see prices from all sellers, you'll also see delivery dates. This item shows today as the delivery date if ordered now from Walmart which pretty much confirms Walmart thinks they can really deliver a PC digitally.

What are my odds of ever getting this? If I ever do, I'd give 1000 to 1 odds I never see a tracking number.

BTW This was a hot deal article on Windows Central a few days ago.

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
IMO, walmart is one of the worse when it comes to shipping. I have had several bad dealings with them from missing items to being over two weeks past the promise date. Even being a Walmart plus subscriber does not help. I don't think you have anything to worry about it being called digital. Just in the wrong category.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hope you get it soon, that's a phenomenal deal.

I continue to get deer in headlights from Walmart support. All any of them eventually say is they can assure me it will arrive very soon after it ships. Well Duh. Meanwhile, every day for the last 9, the page shows available from two sellers: Walmart, which is who my order is thru and a 3rd party. And every day for the last 9 Walmart says a new order will arrive same day while the other vendor says in 3 or 4 days. They literally can't comprehend that anything is amiss here.

This appears to be heading the same way as my following Amazon order from October 2020 (screen cap from minutes ago). Amazon can't figure or do anything about this and seem to think I just need to be patient. I mean it says shipping now, just as it has for well over a year. LoL

Amazon ghost order.jpg

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Okay. Walmart has turned stupidity up to 11 [/Spinal Tap reference]

To recap, I ordered a Surface Pro 7+ with type cover for $599 on December 20th. The order page said it would be same day electronic delivery.

Numerous calls and chats over many days assured me it would be shipping shortly. On December 30th, the product page was updated to no longer be electronic delivery.

So, I reordered again at a higher price and planned to somehow convince them to count it as my original order (which is still showing as arriving soon via electronic delivery!)

The new order was promised for Dec 31st delivery (signature required). No show by late afternoon. So, I called OnTrac and they confirmed that delivery could be as late as midnight, and they actually would ring a doorbell at that hour for a signature. But 2022 arrives but not the Surface. Next day, OnTrac apologizes and updates the delivery date to Sunday, Jan 2nd. But it turns out OnTrac doesn't operate on Sundays. So, another day stuck at home for a signature. It finally arrived almost 11 PM on Monday the 3rd and left without a bell ring or signature (package clearly marked signature required). So basically 3 days tethered to home to sign and never did.

Was about to call and attempt to get Walmart to consider this delivery the original order and notice the price had again returned to $599. Wow; should be even easier: just price match my unopened package and cancel the original. But no. They don't price match themselves and would rather ship me a 3rd one and have me return the one I had to my local Walmart.

Now I'm waiting for my 3rd order to arrive, supposedly Friday. Once in my hand, I'll return the unopened second order and cancel the original order.

Here is a pic of the second order I'll be returning. Anyone think I should unbox it for more pics and stick them with a return they can't just resell?

Surface Pro 7 Plus #2.jpg

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Holy crap WalMart is a mess with insane policies. I tried to return an on-line purchase to the local store once and the clerk wouldn't let me at first - trying to tell me I had to return it online since that's where I got it. Their training is horrible, treat their employees poorly so they just stop giving a crap, and make it worse with bad processes like this.

Going for more popcorn to watch this story - anyone else need a refill? LOL

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Decided to take a risk and test out T-Mobile's home internet service!

IMG_20220105_175344.jpg

The rep said I'm .4 miles away from a 5G tower. I can't tell if that's close enough to get even a tiny bit of 5G, but my first test did go well.

Untitled.png

That's a dramatic increase from the current 50Mbps that I've been paying for. I'm going to give it a good month before deciding to perma switch to T-Mobile or keep my apartment's internet service. And as a bonus, it came with a free Google TV.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

The rep said I'm .4 miles away from a 5G tower. I can't tell if that's close enough to get even a tiny bit of 5G, but my first test did go well.

View attachment 143143

That's a dramatic increase from the current 50Mbps that I've been paying for. I'm going to give it a good month before deciding to perma switch to T-Mobile or keep my apartment's internet service. And as a bonus, it came with a free Google TV.

I'm waiting for it to be available where I live. I have 5G service at home and T-Mobile offers home internet in other parts of town. Took some digging to find out it's not available to me because the towers in range don't have enough excess capacity to add a bunch of home internet. Have to wait for upgrades. sigh.

Will be interested to know if speed drops as they add more home internet near you. Or has it been available there long enough to have a lot of potential customers already?

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site

View attachment 143142

I pay double tmobile internet price for the same download service. Went to check out the service map to see if it was available where I live, and it does not say a thing after typing in my neighbors address. Just shows a map. Doubt it would be available here anyway since their phone service only works when outside.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for it to be available where I live. I have 5G service at home and T-Mobile offers home internet in other parts of town. Took some digging to find out it's not available to me because the towers in range don't have enough excess capacity to add a bunch of home internet. Have to wait for upgrades. sigh.

Will be interested to know if speed drops as they add more home internet near you. Or has it been available there long enough to have a lot of potential customers already?

I can't say for sure how long it's been available. I haven't paid T-Mobile any real attention until I read the recent article on the Verge. After that I decided to do a little digging for myself and noticed that several people have had a great experience with it. Later today I will switch everything except my smart devices over so I can see what it's like in day-to-day use.

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
I can't say for sure how long it's been available. I haven't paid T-Mobile any real attention until I read the recent article on the Verge. After that I decided to do a little digging for myself and noticed that several people have had a great experience with it. Later today I will switch everything except my smart devices over so I can see what it's like in day-to-day use.

if you use the same ssid and password the switch will be painless for your smart devices and it will be a real test.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Surface Pro 8! (base model)

IMG_20220107_122553.jpg

I bought the open box model from Best Buy. I've had nothing but good experiences with anything rated as "open box excellent" on their site. I don't see any visible damage on the machine (granted, the box was beat to hell). Touch input slightly seems sensitive, but that could also just be in my mind. The open box model was less than $800 bucks, plus I traded in my Go 2 (m3)... which someone has a lower trade in value at BB than the original Go.. but I digress. Saving over $400 bucks off the original price sounds good to me! Now I'm going to have BB price match the Surface Pro X Keyboard to Amazon so I can get that for 100 bucks.

Update: I played with the Best Buy demo unit while I was buying my keyboard. It had the same sort of touch sensitivity so maybe that's just how it is.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The third Surface Pro 7+ arrived the day after ordered. I was able to cancel the original Dec 20th order that never came because they couldn't email a computer. Walmart accepted the unopened 2nd order for a refund rather than price match either the Dec 20th or the day after 2nd order price. Watched in disbelief as they opened the returned Surface Pro and carefully examined every part, cable and document. Now I understand how "Chef" felt when seeing prime rib being boiled. They turned stupidity up from 11 to 12.

20220106_204749 cropped.jpg

20220108_111311 cropped.jpg

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
The third Surface Pro 7+ arrived the day after ordered. I was able to cancel the original Dec 20th order that never came because they couldn't email a computer. Walmart accepted the unopened 2nd order for a refund rather than price match either the Dec 20th or the day after 2nd order price. Watched in disbelief as they opened the returned Surface Pro and carefully examined every part, cable and document. Now I understand how "Chef" felt when seeing prime rib being boiled. They turned stupidity up from 11 to 12.

Believe it or not, but some people used to make a living returning "unopened" packages. They were extremely good at sealing them after after replacing the merchandise with something worthless.n n Anyway, I guess you can now live happily ever after :)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The T-Mobile test is going very well but I think I might have a defective device. My speeds are great... until I plug something into the ethernet port. I checked T-Mobile's forums and apparently I'm not the only person with this problem (or maybe that's just how it is). At first, I tried plugging in my wifi router just as a test. My wifi speeds sank to 50Mbps. I unplugged the router, rebooted the T-Mobile modem, and it was back to running great. Then I plugged in my Philips Hue bridge and again wifi speeds tanked. I have numerous Hue bulbs so I need the bridge to work. I found a workaround, though. I've had this TP-Link range extender for years and I haven't done much with it. It has an ethernet option on the bottom so I decided to connect the Hue bridge that way. Since doing that, I haven't had any problems in the past two days.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The T-Mobile test is going very well but I think I might have a defective device. My speeds are great... until I plug something into the ethernet port. I checked T-Mobile's forums and apparently I'm not the only person with this problem (or maybe that's just how it is). At first, I tried plugging in my wifi router just as a test. My wifi speeds sank to 50Mbps. I unplugged the router, rebooted the T-Mobile modem, and it was back to running great. Then I plugged in my Philips Hue bridge and again wifi speeds tanked. I have numerous Hue bulbs so I need the bridge to work. I found a workaround, though. I've had this TP-Link range extender for years and I haven't done much with it. It has an ethernet option on the bottom so I decided to connect the Hue bridge that way. Since doing that, I haven't had any problems in the past two days.
Thanks for update. I can't get the service yet but the ethernet is critical for us. Several computers and TVs are ethernet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital