Post pictures of your latest purchase

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
We had been thinking about adding another wall of cabinets in the garage. We have a wall of MDF cabinets kits I assembled and installed 15 or more years ago. No plans for when, but was ordering a garage door opener on Home Depot.com and saw some Husky 72"x36"x18" metal cabinets. Made a mental note I was sure to forget to consider these when the time came.

Two days later, I got a spam email from CapitalOne saying I could get a CapitalOne credit of 15% for ordering them.. Was annoyed that CapitalOne was suddenly doing more than adding a link on every Amazon page to "better" deals. But I clicked the link to find HomeDepot was having a 12 hour sale on the red versions. Between that, the 15% CapitalOne credit, and my HD veteran discount, they were half price. So, I ordered 4 of them. I even got HD to credit me back the freight shipping because one of my screen shots thru the purchase process apparently in error mentioned free shipping in small print.

Freight companies make cable repairmen seem punctual. I got a 12 hour delivery window with a promised 30 minute phone heads up. Fortunately had no need to leave the house for the day. No phone call but truck shows up. Typically freight deliveries are 1" inside the property line, but I sweet talked the driver into leaving them on the pallet jack until inside the garage at the other end of the driveway. Good thing because I don't have a pallet jack. ;) The cabinets are heavy but they are customer assembled and no one piece is unmanageable. Just assemble on the ground and tip them upright.

Rather than hope the legs have enough adjustment to avoid stair-stepping the cabinets as the floor slopes down for drainage, I didn't install the legs but am having someone build a level platform 12' by 18" for them to sit on. Also means no dirt accumulation under or dropped sockets trying to gain their freedom by rolling under.

As delivered. Based on the arrows, my garage was apparently built on its side.

20230314_151303.jpg

First one assembled face down:

20230315_120219.jpg

A pleasant surprise is that every panel has some plastic shrink wrap over the powder-coating. So, far I have not figured out how to start peeling any off except where there are gaps around raised places such as the locks. Most pieces have no such protrusions.

20230318_063503_crop.jpg

All four sitting in front of the wall they will adorn, waiting for their platform to be built and to be bolted together and anchored to the wall.

20230318_111233.jpg

And stay tuned for my garage door opener post. Apparently, my printer purchase was not a once in a lifetime fluke.

Yes, I have multiple Chamberlain B6713Ts on order, including 3 (so far) from Amazon, who is repeating my printer experience by continuing to offer progressively earlier delivery on later orders. First was for April 16th, next was April 10th, latest is April 4th. SMH

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My wife thought it would be a good time to get a concealed carry gun. We have several handguns and had spent most weekends at the range for years but not much lately. But all we had were large target types, so nothing remotely concealable.

The typical concealed is a micro 9mm pistol. So, we trialed a bunch of those. Came close to buying a SIG but at the last minute discovered S&W makes a J-frame revolver out of Scandium with a Titanium cylinder. Weighs about half as much as a micro 9 and about 1/6 as much as our target guns. Just 11.4 oz. First time Susan held it, she said hard to believe this is made of metal. It doesn't even feel as heavy as plastic!

We bought it Thursday (only one in Arizona) and broke it in. Feels good in our hands, points naturally and has a smooth trigger.

Liked how they inscribed what I suspect is supposed to be a Scandium atom, but it has the wrong number of outer valence electrons.

Won't go into the pros and cons of pistols vs revolvers. Figure anyone reading already knows or doesn't care.

20230323_115301.jpg

20230323_115321.jpg

Not everything is exotic material. Stainless steel barrel inside:

20230323_133118.jpg

Last edited:

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My wife thought it would be a good time to get a concealed carry gun. We have several handguns and had spent most weekends at the range for years but not much lately. But all we had were large target types, so nothing remotely concealable.

The typical concealed is a micro 9mm pistol. So, we trialed a bunch of those. Came close to buying a SIG but at the last minute discovered S&W makes a J-frame revolver out of Scandium with a Titanium cylinder. Weighs about half as much as a micro 9 and about 1/6 as much as our target guns. Just 11.4 oz. First time Susan held it, she said hard to believe this is made of metal. It doesn't even feel as heavy as plastic!

We bought it Thursday (only one in Arizona) and broke it in. Feels good in our hands, points naturally and has a smooth trigger.

Liked how they inscribed what I suspect is supposed to be a Scandium atom, but it has the wrong number of outer valence electrons.

Won't go into the pros and cons of pistols vs revolvers. Figure anyone reading already knows or doesn't care.
Really nice buy! I’ve seen Hickok45 review these several times on his YT channel over the past few years, but I don’t remember seeing a review with this lightweight build.

I actually have the SIG P365 as a carry, and yes it does have some weight to it (but it also is carrying 13 rounds). I haven’t tried one of these S&W j-frame revolvers but may have to check this one out just to see the weight difference alone. The extra rounds in the SIG is a huge part of the weight, but I’d love to see the difference unloaded. Definitely a great purchase for carry though!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
As promised, my Chamberlain B6713T garage door opener post.

My ancient Craftsman (rebadged Chamberlain) was forgetting its learned "normal" force level, forcing me to climb up a ladder to access the button to make it re-learn. Then would be fine for days and forget again. Typically an electronic board problem. Didn't want to throw money at such an old opener, so decided to replace it.

I decided on a Chamberlain B6713T. The only feature the model is missing is a built-in camera. If I even wanted a camera in my garage, I wouldn't want a proprietary one.

I'm not gaining much other than a warrantee, a longer lifespan and a bump from .75 to 1.25 HP. Both old and new are belt drive. Both have battery backup. New has MyQ built-in but I added MyQ for my Craftsman. In some ways, the new is a step back. The old had a hard wired wall opener with light on/off, motion sensor, date/time, temp and error code display. The new one is Wi-Fi and just has the light on/off and motion sensor. Any error messages are seen via a phone app. The new also has LED lights but I've been using E26 LED bulbs for years in the Craftsman. The built in LEDs in the new one are a non replaceable part of the opener outer shell., $129 retail!

Lowes and Amazon had the lowest price by a good margin ($275). Lowes ran out before I could order. The 10% veteran discount would have been nice.

So, I ordered from Amazon with a delivery date of April 16th. But as with my earlier printer order, Amazon started offering it with progressively earlier delivery dates, first April 10th and then April 4th. All were sold by Amazon and shipped by Amazon. So, each time a new order delivery date improved, I ordered again because the scheduled delivery dates of my previous orders remained the same. And each time I ordered, I did NOT cancel the previous one lest a shortage caused Amazon to cancel later orders.

I also ordered at a higher price from a local Home Depot for pickup, as a hedge in case other orders fell thru or someone else offered a lower price while I was waiting for Amazon to ship.

Last Thursday, I was notified that Amazon had charged my card for the April 16th delivery order and gave me a tracking number. I canceled the other Amazon orders and the Home Depot order. So, at least in this case, Amazon did the logical thing and shipped the earlier orders first.

It arrived today. Now debating about installing myself or hiring a handyman. Will edit this post to add installed pictures later.

20230327_182102.jpg20230327_182618.jpg

Last edited:

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Very nice! What's in your build?

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
  • Thermaltake water ring 240 AIO
  • Asus Crosshair VI Hero AM4
  • GSkill Z RGB 16GB DDR4 3200 cl14
  • Asus Dual GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
  • Corsair Obsidian 750D case
  • Corsair RM 650x w/ red cable mod sleeves
  • Asus PCE-AC88 WiFi adapter
  • Corsair Fans
Video card could use an update but I'm not overly concerned about that yet for my usage.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes I impulse buy.

This light saber was love at first sight:

20230331_132904.jpg

But... it didn't work.

And the 2nd time I pressed the button, it fell out!

20230331_165947_crop.jpg

But turns out it was really a tripod, so not a total loss.

20230331_132252.jpg

20230331_131443.jpg

20230331_132040.jpg

The "trigger" is actually a Bluetooth remote shutter.

Seriously though, I ordered a 24" light box (arriving soon). I wanted a small tripod to use with that.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
While assembling the garage cabinets (few posts back) I discovered a problem with a laser level I had.

The bad news was I actually assumed the laser was aimed parallel to the level it was built into.

The good news was I had never used the laser part. Was shopping for a level and one with a built in laser was just a few dollars more, so why not.

Was partly luck that I realized the laser was aimed wrong.

So, I ordered a self-leveling laser. Laser is on a pendulum that settles in about 5 seconds. I need an accurate laser to build a perfectly level platform on the sloping garage floor to put the cabinets on. Come with something to attach it to just about anything to get a desired height.

20230331_170952_crop.jpg

20230331_171455_crop.jpg

Don't look directly into the laser.

20230331_171653_crop.jpg

20230331_171943_crop.jpg

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
That would be a lot easier to work with than my old "level it yourself" Craftsman laser level. They also sell a green laser.. wonder which is easier to see. I never found the Craftsman lines crisp enough for precision work.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Grabber5.0

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
My latest arrival on the right. Kinda wish they'd stuck with the same font as the previous one.
ab716b330da69be54edd351ea729cdd7.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I impulse buy.

This light saber was love at first sight:

View attachment 143384

But... it didn't work.

And the 2nd time I pressed the button, it fell out!

View attachment 143385

But turns out it was really a tripod, so not a total loss.

View attachment 143386

View attachment 143387

View attachment 143388

The "trigger" is actually a Bluetooth remote shutter.

Seriously though, I ordered a 24" light box (arriving soon). I wanted a small tripod to use with that.
That's cool.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
While assembling the garage cabinets (few posts back) I discovered a problem with a laser level I had.

The bad news was I actually assumed the laser was aimed parallel to the level it was built into.

The good news was I had never used the laser part. Was shopping for a level and one with a built in laser was just a few dollars more, so why not.

Was partly luck that I realized the laser was aimed wrong.

So, I ordered a self-leveling laser. Laser is on a pendulum that settles in about 5 seconds. I need an accurate laser to build a perfectly level platform on the sloping garage floor to put the cabinets on. Come with something to attach it to just about anything to get a desired height.

View attachment 143389

View attachment 143390

Don't look directly into the laser.

View attachment 143391

View attachment 143392

Do I need this? No.

Do I want this? Yes. Absolutely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member