ProShot camera app.

Ceejay1

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
It's okay. You're product is already really good. So lighten up. Haha

Anyway, with regards to the green tint, is there a way to fix it? I'm quite new, so maybe there's a way, I just don't know.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's okay. You're product is already really good. So lighten up. Haha

Anyway, with regards to the green tint, is there a way to fix it? I'm quite new, so maybe there's a way, I just don't know.

I haven't heard of a green tint before, which phone are you using? With most Nokia devices there is a yellow cast when shooting at high ISO. One could make a custom filter to counter this (I think by sliding the green channel down a bit? I haven't done any extensive testing on this).

Antony Chan

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi RiseUpGames,

I'm new to this camera apps. Been tried to use the HDR mode since Nokia Camera doesn't have this mode and noticed that the result are 3 photos with different exposure instead of a merged HDR photo. Do I need to get a separate Photo editing apps to merge it myself?

Thanks in advance!

Update: I'm not sure how or why..but this app was somewhat reset and the HDR merging worked now. All the "power-on" and "number of shoot" count was reset to 0. :\ But I'm glad it worked now. :)

Thank!

Last edited:

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi RiseUpGames,

I'm new to this camera apps. Been tried to use the HDR mode since Nokia Camera doesn't have this mode and noticed that the result are 3 photos with different exposure instead of a merged HDR photo. Do I need to get a separate Photo editing apps to merge it myself?

Thanks in advance!

Update: I'm not sure how or why..but this app was somewhat reset and the HDR merging worked now. All the "power-on" and "number of shoot" count was reset to 0. :\ But I'm glad it worked now. :)

Thank!

You can do three different exposures in the Nokia Camera App, you have to change your bracketing settings. And for that it is recommended you use a desktop, specifically Photoshop to merge those exposures. I have seen the HDR images created with a Nokia camera 1020 the results were very good, mind you once again knowledge of editing those exposures is key.

ProShot has one downfall which the author doesn't have access to as mentioned in this thread, is that ProShot can't create RAW photos, it is best to use Nokia Camera to create the three exposures in RAW then merge in Photoshop. If you want a little convenience then use ProShot it is a good app especially if you want to do it on the fly, compared to tinkering with Photoshop.

widesky867

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi RiseUpGames,

I've been using proshot a few times now. The photo quality and options are amazing. However, there are a few things that kinda bugs me,

1. Photos not saved if app is exited seconds after capture.
2. Photos can't be edited by other apps. (Creative studio can't save the photo, fotor and adobe express can't even open the photo)

Just wanted to bring these problems to your attention. If the problems were already mentioned before, I apologize in advance for repeating them.
Cheers!

mccririck

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi RiseUpGames,

I've been using proshot a few times now. The photo quality and options are amazing. However, there are a few things that kinda bugs me,

2. Photos can't be edited by other apps. (Creative studio can't save the photo, fotor and adobe express can't even open the photo)

Just wanted to bring these problems to your attention. If the problems were already mentioned before, I apologize in advance for repeating them.
Cheers!

Yes, I have noticed this recently. I took some photots at work as my work phone's battery went flat and I had to go back the next day to retake them as they hadnt been saved!

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi RiseUpGames,

Cheers!

1) It is on my to-do list to see what can be done

2) This one puzzles me. Most users can edit ProShot photos just fine, and I personally have never come across the issue, though I have received other reports about it. I think it has to do with the way the OS locks files for read-write permission. I've been trying to figure this one out for months, and I think it's just a bug in the OS. Restarting your phone will fix it.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
First of all I would like to say thank you for this app and all your hard work. It is very likely that I will be leaving the Windows Phone community(in hardware/OS but never in spirit) pretty soon save for some dramatic announcement for the OS or confirmed flagship from Microsoft. I will be posting some pictures soon for my appreciation of this app and what is has allowed me to do. As I will most likely get the Sony Xperia Z3 when it launches in the US I have to ask do you develop exclusively for Windows Phone or do you develop/plan to develop an app if this caliber for Android as well? The ability to control manual settings(shutter speed in particular) is one thing that is surprisingly scarce or nonexistent even in the Android space. Shooting at 4 second shutter speeds at night and 1/2000, 1/4000 during the day when I want to freeze motion is something I could compromise on but would surely miss. Thanks again for this app.

Last edited:

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
This is the realization of my dreams to capture moments like this with such high quality from something that's always in my pocket. This is my daughter's second birthday and I used the Lumia 1020 along with an external 12000maH battery that supplemented me through the whole night. I never even had to worry about my battery dying. We had a lot of fun. All photos lightly edited through Photoshop Elements.
Ryleigh's 2nd birthday 065.jpgRyleigh's 2nd birthday 066e.jpgRyleigh's 2nd birthday 078e.jpgRyleigh's 2nd birthday 079e.jpgRyleigh's 2nd birthday 080e.jpg

Last edited:

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Complain: The "crop, rotate, auto-fix" app cannot save changes to rotation for images taken by ProShot. Neither can any other app because any time I try to save, I get a "this file cannot be saved." This is very annoying and totally breaks the point of using ProShot for me. What's the point if I can't edit photos taken by ProShot?!

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
First of all I would like to say thank you for this app and all your hard work. It is very likely that I will be leaving the Windows Phone community(in hardware/OS but never in spirit) pretty soon save for some dramatic announcement for the OS or confirmed flagship from Microsoft. I will be posting some pictures soon for my appreciation of this app and what is has allowed me to do. As I will most likely get the Sony Xperia Z3 when it launches in the US I have to ask do you develop exclusively for Windows Phone or do you develop/plan to develop an app if this caliber for Android as well? The ability to control manual settings(shutter speed in particular) is one thing that is surprisingly scarce or nonexistent even in the Android space. Shooting at 4 second shutter speeds at night and 1/2000, 1/4000 during the day when I want to freeze motion is something I could compromise on but would surely miss. Thanks again for this app.

Sorry to see you go, I truly think the WP community is the best community out of the big three. But there are other considerations to make when purchasing a mobile device, I think we all understand.

Today I released ProShot for iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/proshot/id924438909?at=10l3Vy
Also, I revamped my website: ProShot

dslr_dials.gif

This is why I've been quiet the past month. I won't be bringing it to Android, at least not for the foreseeable future. Since camera apps are so hardware-specific, I can't share code between them, so it'd be hard to keep three separate camera apps up to date.

I was thinking one way or another the word will get out that ProShot is now on a competing platform, so I just wanted to let you all know that I am still committed to WP, and I still have many updates planned for WP ProShot. If anything, developing for iOS helped me get a new perspective on where I want to take this app, from both a design and functionality standpoint, and that is good news for all.

I don't mean to use this forum to sell myself, but if anybody would like to share the ProShot news with their iOS friends / favorite tech sites (iMore sister site?), I'd really appreciate it. Two years ago I gave up everything to make ProShot, and I want to keep making it better.

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to take videos with this app? with manual focusing and changing WB while recording?

Video is not possible yet. Microsoft finally gave WP devs video access with WP8.1, but they completely changed the API, which means I've basically got to rewrite ProShot in order to support video. Also, I will likely have to get rid of real-time filters because of the changes to the API. it's really sad, and I don't know yet how I'm going to proceed.

Complain: The "crop, rotate, auto-fix" app cannot save changes to rotation for images taken by ProShot. Neither can any other app because any time I try to save, I get a "this file cannot be saved." This is very annoying and totally breaks the point of using ProShot for me. What's the point if I can't edit photos taken by ProShot?!

I honestly don't know what's up with that. The issues fixes itself once you restart your phone. There has to be some OS bug related to an API ProShot uses :( I myself haven't seen it at all since v5.0

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Which platform did you find easier to develop on?

Oh good question! Instead of saying a one or the other, here's my breakdown of the process. Beware, this is gonna get nerdy.

Dev environment
  1. Visual Studio (MSFT) crashed once or twice every few months. Xcode (Apple) crashed at least three times a day :angry:
  2. Visual studio is easier to use, and its text editor behaves a bit more how I'd expect it to
  3. BUT. There's something about Xcode and the way things are organized that I like a bit better / fit my coding style. Too bad it's buggy and scrolling is slow, even on my rMBP.
  4. Debugging: tip of the hat goes to Xcode. Since ProShot for WP is a Direct X / XAML project, I can't debug UI and image processing at the same time, and variables / memory get funky results when in Release mode (I didn't know that for months!). In Xcode, it just works.

Programming Language
  1. If you want to do any meaningful prototyping with custom UI, you can forget Objective C (Apple). It's a pain in the **** for prototyping, specifically making custom generic / resizable layouts. In this regard XAML (MSFT) is a million times better. If I didn't already have a solid design for ProShot going into iOS development, I don't know if I ever would have finished.
  2. I can't state enough how easy XAML makes UI prototyping. MSFT FTW there.
  3. On the other hand, the backbone of UI on Windows Phone is Silverlight, and it's dog slow. Every UI element I wrote in Objective C had to be painstakinly written super low level, but the app loads lightning fast on iOS, and runs at 60fps with low CPU usage. On WP I have to limit the fps to 30, otherwise Silverlight's overhead will cause the device to get warm after a while. If you've ever played Microsoft Solitaire on your phone and wondered how a simple app heats up your device after just three minutes, now you know why.
  4. Objective C overall, however....ugh. Why do messages sent to nil not throw an error? Why do I have to write function definitions with variable names AND variable descriptors? Shouldn't the name be descriptive enough? Also, "nonatomic / weak / strong / copy / etc". Come on. What are those. (I know what they are, but it will easily scare off a beginner)

APIs
  1. Notification of when variable changes: Objective C hands down. Microsoft makes this way too complicated.
  2. For photography (including hardware access, camera roll access, features, etc) Apple is bit ahead of Microsoft on this one. I found it much easier to manipulate the hardware and get / save images / videos with Apple's API.

Final thoughts
  1. If you're a beginning developer, you'll find Microsoft's platform the easiest to code for. C# is simply awesome.
  2. Even though there's hardly any fragmentation on WP, it's been a nightmare with the cameras on non-Lumia devices. I've had to write so many code exceptions and buy so many devices, and talk with so many testers to get to where things are now. With iOS, it just works. Even going from iPod to iPhone to iPad.
  3. I wrote ProShot for WP during a time of turmoil within Microsoft. They made a custom camera API for WP8 that was rushed and buggy and ultimately scrapped when WP8.1 came out. Unfortunately, I invested two years of my life into that old API, and it's going to take a while to undo all of that and start anew with WP8.1.

Final final note: I'm not leaving WP just cause I made ProShot for iOS. My daily driver is a bruised-but-not-broken Lumia 920, and I love that tank. I bust out the 1020 when I know I'm going to need it. I am DYING for a successor. The 1020 is just too slow.

Last edited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Here goes another exclusive. Anyways I am happy for you and wish you luck in all your future projects.

If Microsoft was willing to pay me to keep it exclusive, I would :) But since they didn't, it made sense for me to bring ProShot to other platforms. Sure, money was part of the motivation. I need money to stay alive and ProShot is my only source of income. But I also have a vision for where I want to take mobile photography as a whole, and I can only do that by expanding my audience. I have big plans. Very big plans. And WP will be there every step of the way.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I bought the ProShot application for a Lumia 520, obviously I didn't expect it to perform miracles given how unimpressive the 520's sensor was.

But your app turned out to be pretty impressive, the manual focus was spot on and the shutter speed seemed way quicker than Nokia Camera.

1413026756779.jpg

Here's an image I managed to snap with your app, you can verify it by the EXIF data. If Tapatalk didn't strip it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750