[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
The music cuts when a call comes in... The problem is the deficiencies of your truck stereo, The reason they stopped using the usb connection as a audio out is you then cannot charge and listen with it, so that is why they put a 3.5mm jack on the phones. I have never heard of a phone that can charge and connect stereo at the same time from the usb. The answer is to get a Bluetooth truck stereo or a wireless charging cradle...

Please read this, there is also a site by the developer of USB technology that delves further into this I just don't have the time right now to dig for it and the history widget on Edge isn't responding right now. USB 3.1 And Its Disruptive USB Type-C Connector

Highly doubt deficiency is with the stereo, the truck is a 2015. The complete capabilities of 3.1 connection have not been utilized.

Update: found the other link http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/

Last edited:

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I will have a Browse, What I meant by deficiencies is that Bluetooth is the accepted way how you connect your phone to your truck stereo these days. I can see what you are getting at but with usb 3.1 in its infancy product wise it might be a while before that product is available....

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the hardware capabilities are there I just hope that they can enable this in the software. A wired connection is certainly more reliable than Bluetooth.

critta71

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Have the new 950. coming from wp7.8 its a massive upgrade for me.
seems awesome.. iris scanner is quick in all light levels. Camera is good and speed of photos is amazing. Feel good out of the box.. but awainting a cover for protection.
Still finding my way through it but all looks good so far..
I will say though I loaded the xbox smart glass and its not scaled to the screen I don't see the arrow like I do on windows to laptop version. and have no way to scroll without them as it doesn't seem to scroll when I touch the screen. Also unlike with windows 10 I cant cast my video to my x box. anyone else sorted out how to cast/mirror cast from windows 10 phone yet?

AbhiWindows10

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I would love to get a Lumia 950 some day. Sadly, i don't have the money even now. People talk about not having a flagship for a year. I've waited since the Lumia 920 was launched. :)

Aamod Potdar

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Finally got hold of my Lumia 950 here in Mumbai , India on 11th December.

Price had disappointed me , but then i had waited for this long enough and decided to pre-order. I had placed an order for 950 Black but MS retail store guys goofed up and assigned 950 XL Black instead. When I visited the store which was day after official delivery date , only phones that were available were 950 XL Black and 950 White. 950 Black wasnt available and placing new order would take few days. Couldnt wait longer and decided to pick up the white.

I have been using Lumia 820 for almost 2.5 years now. Was part of the insiders program and I was absolutely in love with Windows Phone 10 OS. Absolutely refreshing for even WP 8.1 user. And man , this phone feels so light. My 820 was heavy and bulky. 950 feels so light , sleek and yes premium too. I really dont mind the polycarbonate shell.

I am impressed with battery too. 820 came with 1650 mAh battery , so imagine my joy with 950's 3000 mAh. Thats double!!

I am getting around 18-20 hrs of battery backup. I am happy with it. I have wifi on for around 9hrs at work and then mobile data rest of the time. With applications like Whatsapp , around 45 mins of phone calls and other app likes 6tag , facebook , news I think 18-20 hrs of backup is good.

I am hoping it might improve over period of time.

I am in love with Windows Hello. Man , it is a showstopper. It works perfectly well. Doesnt take too long to authenticate and its getting better day by day. Everyone loves it.

Only cons are phone getting warm quickly. During charging it does get warm but i can ignore it. But it tends to get warm otherwise too.

And fast charging works perfectly. 50% in 30mins thats perfect. Phone gets fully charged with 60-80 mins.

dorix

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a 950. Migrated from 808 Pureview so obviously didn't buy it for the camera, although it isn't too bad. I will still take 808 with me when I know I will want to do some serious photography. Most of the apps have disappeared from the 808. It's taken me a while to find out how to transfer one or two ring tones, the ones on 950 are pathetic. Also it was a long winded affair to find out how to assign different ring tones to phone, text and mail. On 808 you had 3 or 4 things you could do with each tone or sound. Wife has 830 but she is waiting for hers to go over to windows 10.

zlx

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
unboxed a couple of minutes ago, restoring now the backup from my old 1020.

Set up and transferring data is incredible easy.

It seems to be the same weight as the 1020 although it has the big screen.

What I love so far: SIM and SD Slots are super-easy, remoovable battery, changeable back cover (can't wait for the brown leather cover from Mozo), USB C Slot, Qi Charging covers, and the Windows 10 looks much more cleaner and sorted than previous OS...

kuldeep verma

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Did you get the .29 update, I had preordered the 950 white from Amazon and got it on the 12th.I am from Mumbai too. My battery does not last even half a day with moderate use :(

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Initially I thought battery life hadn't changed with the update but I'm finding it's improved considerably. Both during idle and in regular use.

It's not like I can get two days of use with the phone, but it's no longer critical that I plug in the phone at the end of the evening. This is with Bluetooth permanently on, regular use for texting, emails and some other functions along with some gaming. If I did leave it sitting I am fairly confident it would go the two days.

Robin Sayer

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I was feeling very let down with my new Lumia 950 last week - It didn't have any wow factor out of the box, although it was ridiculously light in the hand and a great screen. Secondly the operating system was all over the place, and I had several crashes, and application weirdnesses and had to build the system from scratch 3 times.

All that negative opinion has completely changed now though and I'll tell anyone THIS IS AN AMAZING PHONE

Firstly Microsoft released an update to the phone last week - which once it was installed made the device night and day faster/slicker and more robust. I've not had any problems now and the app seems incredibly slick.

Secondly - It seems to be that Microsoft have done something amazing, by allowing entirely new cases to replace the entire existing case on the phone. This isnt really a case, so much as replacing the one the phone comes with. The Mozo cases are jaw droppingly gorgeous. Microsoft should have marketed this fact better - to stop some of the negative comments about the phone being light and bland. Light and bland is exactly what you want when vendors can make amazing looking replacement cases. A phone with a beautiful full size screen on once side, and a complete back and sides you can replace and yet still keep NFC and charging is fantastic. The only problem is that Microsoft seemed to partner with Mozo in Finland on this, and they seem to have been a bit overwhelmed we are looking at 2 months back log to get cases out of them.

Thirdly - I have just tried Continuum, because it turns out it happens to work on existing Apple USB-C to HDMI adapters which I happened to have one of lying around. WOW. I didn't think it was something I would want to use, but having 7 apps including OneNote, the camera, Groove, Edge, Excel, Reddit, Youtube all running at once is amazing. The performance going through my picture library from skydrive of several thousand Lumia 1020 photos was brilliant.

Lastly - I found a 32GB SD card in my draw for a camera - put that in, and bang straight away the phone recognized it, and I now have double capacity and can store apps, video, pictures etc. there by default. Cards can go up to 200GB.

So Continuum wirelessly on a phone with 200GB of space, running office, with a beautiful camera, a beautiful screen, a replaceable battery, and a Mozo case - WOW A WEE WA (a borrat says)

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Get the display dock it takes continuum to another level... It gives you 1080@60fps with zero battery drain which is way smoother than the cable. connect to a Display with HDMI, Display Port & wireless from the dock with a dongle at 60fps. You can also connect a keyboard and mouse by Wireless, Bluetooth or Wired. Also Connect a USB drive which takes your Storage options up to 6TB and rising...

critta71

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to provide a bit more of an update since my first post. Have had the 950 for about a week and a half and so far so good. Really enjoying windows 10 mobile but I do notice as with most phones some apps drain the life out of the battery.
I guess the only gripe I have is that it does run hot at times.. and extremely hot whilst charging. I also can notice a little clicking/ticking noise whilst charging. Has anyone else heard it. Other than that It seems really good.

Jessy Tremblay

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
hiii,
I am a lucky boy, 1 week ago I took a look on ebay for fun. I'm in Canada and the price for a 950 is really hight (750$ + tax) 862$ total
When I was looking for the phone there was one really low. 230 us (300 CAD$) plus shipping. The guy used it for 4 weeks. I just unlocked the phone (was with AT&T) The phone is just perfect. Came with a case and a 64gb card.
I have a lumia 930 that my best friend will buy, So I basically have a 950 for 70$ talk about a REALLY nice deal :)
I really like the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria