Rants after a few days of use

skfny

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
I have been using the Sprint Touch Pro for about a week and have noticed a few issues:

1) Can't access Phone settings. Go to the phone screen, tap on options, nothing happens. Same thing if I try to tap on phone settings in Comm Manager.
2) Battery life is abysmal. I'll try to get a replacement battery. I HOPE this one's a dud because it takes 2-3 hours to charge from 30% to full!!! It it takes 3 hours to charge and 5-10 hours to discharge, well, you can do the math. Overnight, it went from 100% to 70% in 6 hours!!!! It was checking for Gmail every hour and Exchange sync was every 2 hours in that time. No new messages came in during that time.
3) Reading email is a PITA. I press down to scroll, but the Pro seems to think I touched the wheel and zooms in and out repeatedly! Surely I'm doing something wrong? Yes, I know I can avoid these issues IF I hold the device JUST right, but if I'm using the phone one-handed, I don't want to have to worry about HOW I'm holding the thing.
4) G-sensor, light sensor are useless. Is there a way to disable these two? They seem to be more trouble than they're worth, and I'd hate to waste any more of my already poor battery life on these features.
5) The keyboard creaks!!!! When typing on the keyboard, I can hear an annoying creak from the lower left hand corner. Again, I hope my device is defective.
6) No replacement for CtrlKeyPro (PQZii). What's the fastest way to launch apps rapidly? I hate going back to the Today screen each time.

Am I crazy? I want to love this phone and leave the Treo line behind, but it seems somewhat difficult to do at the moment with these issues. My 700wx mocks me every time Outlook zooms isntead of scrolling or the battery dies or the keyboard creaks. Can anyone state that their phone has NONE of these issues?

skfny

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
As far as the replacement for CtrlKeyPro, have you tried AEButton Plus... amazingly little program.

It doesn't appear to do too much on the Pro. I thought you can only re-map the "End hold" button? I tried re-mapping the other keys but it didn't work.

tostler

Dec 14, 2004
Visit site
10 days with the Touch Pro.

Skfny,

Must be your phone.
Following your steps (both methods), I was able to access phone settings just fine.

Battery life - well, I'm still checking this out, but it seems better than my Treo 800w, which is a good thing. I've had mine a week and I'm averaging 12 hrs battery life, and charging is under 3 hours, though I've never really measured how long it takes to charge since the beginning point is never the same.

For reading email, the first thing I did was reduce font size down a notch to put more words on the screen and scrolling seems to work okay. Same with paging from one email to the next. The D-pad is unusual and takes a bit to get used to, but it's not fighting me and I can get the job done without much effort or thought.

The G-sensor doesn't bother me at all.

The light sensor is a bit annoying. I'm left handed and when using the stylus I cover the sensor on occasion and it makes me feel like I'm about to pass out. Again, knowing what's going on makes it acceptable. If it helps manage power when the phone is up against my ear, than I'm all for it.

My keyboard creaks as well. I don't like the keyboard. Period. I think the keyboard on my 800w is the gold standard of keyboards. If it were possible to combine Touchflo 3D, the Touch Pro's screen AND the 800w's keyboard you'd have the ideal phone. I find typing with the keyboard almost embarrassingly slow and awkward compared to the 800.

Like you I want to love this phone and because of Opera and the large screen it's going to become my primary phone. I have been a Treo user since the line began and feel a bit of guilt leaving Palm, but the 800 is a solid device (with it's own quirks), but there's no flash. It's as boring as toast. I deserve better than another year or two waiting for some flash outa Palm and for me the Touch Pro is it.

Darth Pooh#WP

Aug 10, 2003
Visit site
It doesn't appear to do too much on the Pro. I thought you can only re-map the "End hold" button? I tried re-mapping the other keys but it didn't work.

Ok... weird. With AE Button, I was able to remap almost everything on every WM device I've ever owned (all the way from the 6601 up to my 800w without ever needing a new version).

Man... I'd return your device ASAP. Sounds like you have a craptacular factory messup. I'd hard reset first to make sure it isn't a 3rd party app screwing up your phone settings too.

Anonymouse

Jan 26, 2006
Visit site
Any more info on AEbutton?

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the Touch Pro (on Verizon...unless they gimp it too much, then I might switch service providers to Sprint, who actually are better in my home area...just not everywhere else I go). One of my biggest hesitations is the lack of hardware buttons on the face, but I was hoping I could remedy that.

Darth Pooh#WP

Aug 10, 2003
Visit site
Any more info on AEbutton?

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the Touch Pro (on Verizon...unless they gimp it too much, then I might switch service providers to Sprint, who actually are better in my home area...just not everywhere else I go). One of my biggest hesitations is the lack of hardware buttons on the face, but I was hoping I could remedy that.

I've seen over at XDA that you can use AE Button Plus with the TP/Fuze, lemme find that link.

GOT IT... :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=2743845#post2743845

Very helpful stuff.

trwm

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I am still having problems with ActiveSync and Outlook notes with my Sprint HTC Touch Pro. Tried to use OneNote 2003 but it only synchronizes in one direction - up to the desktop. Any ideas out there?

RC46

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
I am still having problems with ActiveSync and Outlook notes with my Sprint HTC Touch Pro. Tried to use OneNote 2003 but it only synchronizes in one direction - up to the desktop. Any ideas out there?

Not sure if this will work with the Touch Pro but it works with other Windows Mobile 6.1 Devices

Syncing Notes Using Outlook and a Windows Mobile 6.1 Device

Starting from scratch
-Perform an active sync and leave WM device connected to PC.
-On PC in Active Sync go Menu -> Tools -> Options
-Now check the box that says notes and wait for the sync to complete.
-Now disconnect WM device from the computer
-Now on the WM Device make a folder inside MyDocuments called "Notes"
-Move all the notes that are currently in MyDocuments into that new "Notes" folder.
-Next inside the Notes folder make sub folders for categories such as "Personal" "Business" and so on.
-Now on the WM Device move the appropriate notes into these folders.
-Now it is time to sync again.
-After you sync look in Outlook on the desktop and you will see all the notes are automatically renamed with the folder structure as part of the name. For example the note titled "Christmas List 2008" will be changed to "Notes\Personal\Christmas List 2008"
-This allows the notes to be sorted by category on the desktop as well as the WM Device even though no Outlook categories are really assigned on the desktop.

The only minor downside is when you open the notes application on the WM Device it does not show your list of notes. The work around is just to open File Explorer and click on the note that you want to read or edit. It will then sync back to the desktop just the way you would expect it to.

This has been working for me for months now and I sync to 2 different PC's and have over 2000 notes.

skfny

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
Ok... weird. With AE Button, I was able to remap almost everything on every WM device I've ever owned (all the way from the 6601 up to my 800w without ever needing a new version).

Man... I'd return your device ASAP. Sounds like you have a craptacular factory messup. I'd hard reset first to make sure it isn't a 3rd party app screwing up your phone settings too.

AE Buttons Plus is awesome. After reading up on it at PPCGeeks, I've got it working quite well. Battery life has improved after I installed CodyPPC's hack.

I'd still like to disable the G-sensor and the light sensor.
I'm glad the phone settings issue is limited to my device. Since it's not an issue with the entire product line, I'll try to fix it.

Overall, all of the issues I described in post #1 are resolved except for my phone settings issue. Battery life remains to be seen.

trwm

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if this will work with the Touch Pro but it works with other Windows Mobile 6.1 Devices

Syncing Notes Using Outlook and a Windows Mobile 6.1 Device

Starting from scratch
-Perform an active sync and leave WM device connected to PC.
-On PC in Active Sync go Menu -> Tools -> Options
-Now check the box that says notes and wait for the sync to complete.
-Now disconnect WM device from the computer
-Now on the WM Device make a folder inside MyDocuments called "Notes"
-Move all the notes that are currently in MyDocuments into that new "Notes" folder.
-Next inside the Notes folder make sub folders for categories such as "Personal" "Business" and so on.
-Now on the WM Device move the appropriate notes into these folders.
-Now it is time to sync again.
-After you sync look in Outlook on the desktop and you will see all the notes are automatically renamed with the folder structure as part of the name. For example the note titled "Christmas List 2008" will be changed to "Notes\Personal\Christmas List 2008"
-This allows the notes to be sorted by category on the desktop as well as the WM Device even though no Outlook categories are really assigned on the desktop.

The only minor downside is when you open the notes application on the WM Device it does not show your list of notes. The work around is just to open File Explorer and click on the note that you want to read or edit. It will then sync back to the desktop just the way you would expect it to.

This has been working for me for months now and I sync to 2 different PC's and have over 2000 notes.

Thanks, I set my notes up as you mention above and all sync errors seem to be resolved. However, I cannot seem to create a new note 'correctly' on either platform. If I create the note on the desktop, I cannot figure out how to create it w/ the fill path i.e. Notes\Business\<filename>, I only get the filename piece and when I move it to the correct directory on the WM Device it goes away all together on the Desktop. Likewise I cannot even figure out how to create a new note on the WM Device. Again thanks, I think I am almost there.

RC46

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
Thanks, I set my notes up as you mention above and all sync errors seem to be resolved. However, I cannot seem to create a new note 'correctly' on either platform. If I create the note on the desktop, I cannot figure out how to create it w/ the fill path i.e. Notes\Business\<filename>, I only get the filename piece and when I move it to the correct directory on the WM Device it goes away all together on the Desktop. Likewise I cannot even figure out how to create a new note on the WM Device. Again thanks, I think I am almost there.

Well thats a little data point that I left out.:)

Adding New Notes:

On the device to create a new note you just open the notes application and start writing. When done hit OK. Your new note will then be dumped in the folder "Device\My Documents\Notes\"

You will need to open file explorer and mannually move it to the folder you want it in. Makes sure that folder is inside the "Device\My Documents\Notes\"

On the desktop you to create a new note in Outlook dont try to put in the the path in the file name. It wont work. Just make a note like you used to and when finished close it. Now when you sync that note will be dumped in the handheld folder "Device\My Documents\"
On the handheld move it to the folder you want it in. The next time you unplug your handheld then re-sync it will add the file path to the note name and will display correctly in Outlook.

Please keep in mind that each time you edit or change a note on the desktop it will revert back to its root name without the path as part of the name. It will then automatically change the name after your sync to include the path and end up in the correct folder on the WM Device. Weird but it works!

I know this sounds like a bit of a hassel but in reality it really isn't. Personally I just wait until I have about 10 un-catoragized notes in either the "Device\My Documents\" folder or the "Device\My Documents\Notes\"
folder before I even bother with organizing them. Then I just do them all at once. Its really not a big deal once your used to it.

One weird little data point is for some reason sometimes you need to un-plug your handheld (disconnect it from the desktop) and then plug it back in before the notes will sync correctly after moving around notes in different folders. Must be an active sync bug.

Another little trick to quickly finding the note you are looking for is to use Resco Explorer instead of WM File Explorer. Just click on the binoculars and type some of name of the note and click search. You will find it right away.

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
AE Buttons Plus is awesome. After reading up on it at PPCGeeks, I've got it working quite well. Battery life has improved after I installed CodyPPC's hack.

I'd still like to disable the G-sensor and the light sensor.
I'm glad the phone settings issue is limited to my device. Since it's not an issue with the entire product line, I'll try to fix it.

Overall, all of the issues I described in post #1 are resolved except for my phone settings issue. Battery life remains to be seen.
I totally agree. In the original Touch Pro review thread, I noted I did nearly the exact same thing with AE Buttons Plus. I have used it on all my past phones for as long as it has been available.

I haven't tested it (and would have to look at the registry again), but I think I saw a registry setting that made me think we might be able to turn off the GSensor. If you are comfortable with the registry do a GSensor search in your registry. You can for sure adjust its sensitivity and several other settings and functions.

trwm

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site

Looks good, seems to be working. Thanks for the tips.

On the same topic, different approach, is anyone using OneNote 2007?

skfny

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
I totally agree. In the original Touch Pro review thread, I noted I did nearly the exact same thing with AE Buttons Plus. I have used it on all my past phones for as long as it has been available.

I haven't tested it (and would have to look at the registry again), but I think I saw a registry setting that made me think we might be able to turn off the GSensor. If you are comfortable with the registry do a GSensor search in your registry. You can for sure adjust its sensitivity and several other settings and functions.

I found the GSensor registry items, but I'm not sure which items will disable it. Ideally, I'd like to not only disable it in software, but also turn it off (if possible) to get some battery life advantages. I see an entry for polling interval - maybe I should set that to a ridiculously high number?

skfny

Nov 1, 2002
Visit site
Phone settings are back. I installed a few registry hacks that were apparently not suited for the TP and made the phone settings dialog disappear. I restored the Control Panel/Phone registry settings to their default values and now all is well.

Rionero

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Okay... so I'm new here... have had the Fuze for a few days now... and was wondering where to post this opinion of the phone. I chose this thread since it seems to be the hottest thread dealing with Fuze reviews.

The phone this replaced was a Nokia N95 8GB... a fantastic little phone with the Symbian OS (3rd). My phone before that was the 1st Gen. iPhone... so I've used a few different types of smart phone. I delayed any move to WinMo... because I'd heard so much bad press on it's lag and freeze problems. However, with the great reviews the Diamond and Touch Pro had to date... I thought I'd give this Fuze a shot. So far... I'm in lurve. The screen is amazing. Build quality is top notch. The keyboard is stellar, feels quite well built. As for OS speed... it seems faster than the N95... but a lil slower than the iphone... but nothing too notable. The apps and customizations in WinMo 6.1 are great... even better than Symbian in my opinion... and Apple is obviously going gangbusters now with their apps... so they're doing okay too.

The speaker on the Fuze is "beh, ok". Better than the 1st gen iphone... but nowhere near the booming stereo speakers of the N95. I can live with it tho. The camera takes quite good pics... almost up to quality of the 5MP Carl Zeiss on the N95... so that's pretty cool.

Did I mention how amazing this screen is? I can only imagine the glorious Touch HD screen with it's higher res, and larger size... yikes. I almost imported one, and say heck with the 3G... but I use 3G a lot... here in So. Cal.

So far... I'm very very happy with this phone... and the few tweaks I've already implemented... but I have ONE gripe. And boy this is a big one. HTC, why the fark did you omit a 3.5mm headphone jack??? I mean... sure you can connect bluetooth stereo headsets with this... but I fly a lot... and I listen to music when I fly... and it is going to suck to have this killer little phone on my lap, with a long, lame tumor-like dongle sticking out the butt end. Not to mention you have to remember to bring it with you everytime you "might" want to listen to music with regular headphones? I mean... could they not have made a dongle like Creative Zen's... that sits flush to the bottom, and maybe extends the entire length of the phone like 1" max? Oy! That was a huge omission, IMHO. So... that's the only thing keeping me from being on board 100% with this puppy... but I love it otherwise. Am I missing something with this dongle thing? Is it not a big deal to some people? Guess it is only a big deal if you want to listen to .mp3s or the FM radio mod (which is cool!!).

/rant over. Thanks for listening!

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gormless