Start menu and taskbar not working in Windows 10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

My laptop is LENOVO G510. It came with windows 8 single language. I upgraded to windows 8.1 single language a year ago. I updated it to windows 10 home by triggering the update. The upgrade went successfully. But the problem now is the start button, applications in the taskbar(only right click) and icons on the taskbar on the right side(time, battery, wifi etc) are not working. They work if I click them after a gap of ten minutes. But if I click them for a second time immediately, they won't work.

I got a message box showing "startmenu and cortana are not working, it will be fixed the next time you sign in". When I sign out and sign in, there is no change.

Is it my only problem or it occured to many laptops?
Is there any way to fix it?
Is Microsoft working to fix it soon?

Please inform me.

ankursus1

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Re: Why isn't my Start menu and taskbar working in Windows 10?

this worked for me thanks,you have to start windows firewall,then just follow steps,but my search isstill not working,don't know why:crying::crying:

April_Kwong

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Startmenu and taskbar not working in windows 10

I got this issue as well these steps fixed it for me
1. Go to the desktop, right click anywhere, hover your mouse over new and then click shortcut
2. When you are making a shortcut it will ask you to type a location. type in "msconfig", click next and then it will ask you what you want to name the shortcut name it anything you want its not imprtant.
3 . A shortcut for msconfig will show up double click it and click on the boot tab at the top. once in the boot tab enable safeboot and the click network underneath it and then click apply then OK it will ask if you want to restart you should restart it
4. Once it is restarted you should go to ms config again and then turn off safe boot and the apply and restart again and hopefully once you have done that things should return to normal

I have read through many forums and tried a few methods, but none worked till i found the above. Probably the easiest method I've tried and it worked!

Nick Banner

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
Raheem baker, you really turned out to be our Raheem bro. That solution worked a 100%. I would recommend it too all as it was definitely easy for even noobies like me. Bless you man. Like two others, even I couldn't stop myself to register to thank you. Thank you so much. This problem was just getting on my nerves. Bless you.
PS - this little solution is better and easier than the complex one posted on Microsoft's website.

Nick Banner

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
I got this issue as well these steps fixed it for me
1. Go to the desktop, right click anywhere, hover your mouse over new and then click shortcut
2. When you are making a shortcut it will ask you to type a location. type in "msconfig", click next and then it will ask you what you want to name the shortcut name it anything you want its not imprtant.
3 . A shortcut for msconfig will show up double click it and click on the boot tab at the top. once in the boot tab enable safeboot and the click network underneath it and then click apply then OK it will ask if you want to restart you should restart it
4. Once it is restarted you should go to ms config again and then turn off safe boot and the apply and restart again and hopefully once you have done that things should return to normal
Raheem baker, you really turned out to be our Raheem bro. That solution worked a 100%. I would recommend it too all as it was definitely easy for even noobies like me. Bless you man. Like two others, even I couldn't stop myself to register to thank you. Thank you so much. This problem was just getting on my nerves. Bless you.
PS - this little solution is better and easier than the complex one posted on Microsoft's website.

Aimr

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
DUde all I didn't was restar my computer a couple times when that didn't work I just right clicked on my desktop and clicked shortcut and wrote msconfig then it magically started to work xD

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi This seems to be the fix for this issue! Here's what it looks like. If you want a shortcut, type msconfig in the search Orb. Click on System Configuration.
It will take you here!:wink: Then follow the suggestions from best answer!
My bad! You can't type msconfig in search if it doesn't exist. ( Senile moment). I have these on occasions LOL
Capture25.JPG

Last edited:

Olnet

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Hey Guys, i experienced the same but this worked best for me
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
thanks Bro.

Aritro10

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
This method has just worked for me regarding the serious issue of the taskbar in Windows 10.
For the fix:
1. Ctrl+Shift+Escape. This will open the Task Manager.
2. Go to the 'Details' tab in the same.
3. Search for sihost.exe and when found, end the process by clicking End Task.
4. For some moments the taskbar and other windows will be just gone. But don't worry, as the process will eventually start again. After Task bar has reappeared and all of the windows have returned back to normalcy, click on the Start Button to verify if it is working. Hopefully, the Task Bar will work again. Thank you.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Seems like there are several different fixes for this problem. I restored to a earlier time and that solved my issue! Hopefully MS will get all these bugs fixed for us soon.
In the mean time, we'll have to come up with our own solutions!! LOL! Four pages of good suggestions here on this thread. Surely you will find one that works for you!
Happy computering.:wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte