Surface 3 Firmware Update Nov 9 2015 - Frequent Reboots

Vinoth Di

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
Does anyone have frequent reboots after installing the Firmware updates for Surface 3 on Nov 9 2015?
I have updated my Surface 3(Non LTE version, windows 10) and after the first restart the device rebooted without any BSOD messages. Nothing can be found in eventviewer too. I had 3 repeated reboots after logging in to my desktop. Rolled back the network driver alone to the previous version and I don't have the reboots now.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I manually installed the latest firmware and drivers package from Microsoft for our Surface 3. Can't say that I've noticed this problem. It would worry me, too, if I had seen it on mine.

eckl

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Only July firmware at the moment. Appeared right after I installed windows 10 fall update. Didn't appear while I was with Windows 8.1.

mfgillia

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Yep, installed it directly from the MS site (Download Surface 3 Wi-Fi from Official Microsoft Download Center save MSI file to desktop, right click to install). I didn't feel like waiting.

So far haven't noticed any real changes although the battery monitor reports an extra hour of battery life - too soon to determine if that's real or temporary. I installed the firmware after installing the new windows 10 upgrade. Everything working smooth as always so far...

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Got Win10 update and the July firmware a few hours later.

So far the combination of the two have transformed my W10 experience. No having to sign in when security setting set to never. Slow videos fixed and sound issues too. Swipe down to close in tablet mode restored and whole experience seems smoother. Early days though!

jbs-horn

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
You may all be discussing different updates. The one the OP is talking about did exactly the same thing to my S3. I worked on a document, closed the cover and went home, and tried to resume my work. The S3 had turned off, so it rebooted, losing the work I had done. I checked Event Viewer and the Reliability Report and only got a report that the device had been shut down incorrectly. My S3 is now sitting in a drawer in my office.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
You may all be discussing different updates. The one the OP is talking about did exactly the same thing to my S3. I worked on a document, closed the cover and went home, and tried to resume my work. The S3 had turned off, so it rebooted, losing the work I had done. I checked Event Viewer and the Reliability Report and only got a report that the device had been shut down incorrectly. My S3 is now sitting in a drawer in my office.
I'm quite sure that I am running the same update that I manually installed onto my tablet. It's been stable for me. I am sorry that yours gave you such trouble. Any chance you could take it to an MS Store for possible warranty examination/work?

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Mine seems to be getting locked in sleep now after the firmware update. I've had to force power cycle it 3 times in the past 2 days. Also my mail tile stopped updating.

It's just one thing after another with this thing...the S3 on Windows 10 is simply a POS.

eckl

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Nov firmware update improved the standby time for my unit. It is working very well now. Maybe you might want to reset the windows.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Just purchased a S3 yesterday. Noticed a July firmware update but no November firmware. Are you guys sure there is a November firmware update for the S3?

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
There isn't an official released November firmware. It's a beta release available only through the web as a download. Once it's stable, or they fix the beta for issues, it'll be released in Windows Update - likely as a December firmware.

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 is really starting to **** me off! Its frequently locking up and causing an entire reboot of my PC... Why can't Microsoft get 10 right on their own damn computers. Sure I get bugs when it comes to 3rd party tablets, but I expected better updates when it comes to their bread and butter PC....

I have to brave Christmas traffic to replace my broken pen. I'm downgrading this thing asap....

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Mine too. The recent update ruins my surface 3, freezing, broken lock up screen, barely reboot.....

Next time when I find a stable version, I won't click to update. Those updates are unrealiable.

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
One more problem, battery drain when idle. Yesterday I still had more than 50% battery this morning it dropped to 14%. What the hell...

Microsoft, we need fix immediately.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Battery drain while sleeping is a major issue for the S3 under Windows 10. Most sleep studies show it's the WiFi, however disabling WiFi doesn't solve the drain. It must be at a deeper level. And it's a software issue as running Windows 8.1 doesn't experience the same drain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05