Ten disappointing things about Windows 10 :(

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am so confused by all the calls for a desktop tile. There's no difference between a Store app and anything else in terms of how they behave for windowing, which is entirely the point of the set up; 'desktop' is just a mode toggle. Toggling between them can be automatic for convertibles and hybrids, and it's a system function; the quick action menu is where it belongs.

To go from tablet mode to desktop.

Without tile!
1: Swipe in from right, press icon for destop/PC mode. That's 2 actions.

With tile:
1: 1 touch. 1 ACTION! (And no one at microsoft is gonna die from that tile being there)

From desktop top tablet. Let's assume you're hand is on a mouse and you wanna go from photoshop to a chillax mode.

Without tile/shortcut
1: That's leaving your mouse, swiping in, click switch (3 actions)

With tile/shortcut
1: 1 Click!!!!!! Easy!

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft made Desktop as an app or say look like an app.. In Windows 8.
There came a cry from people.. Oh no where is my desktop or there is no desktop in my pc. They got lost. There was even a rumor MS will soon do away with desktop.

MS wanted to remove that notion. So v have now desktop at center.
In start menu .. Desktop tile makes no sense. In tablet mode.. Ya sure it is an aid. But MS wants to let people believe or say make comfortable that desktop is here and it will work same as before..
Also desktop is still not optimized for desktop its better to stay with modern apps while using touch

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
You're totally missing the point here. They've just reversed the issue they had before, giving touch users hassle for those lets say wanna launch a file, lets say in a folder on the desktop but am in tabletmode.

All I'm saying: Fine w that being default, but let serious users have settings. Let us activate or download that function, it creates no problems for anyone.

Microsoft made Desktop as an app or say look like an app.. In Windows 8.
There came a cry from people.. Oh no where is my desktop or there is no desktop in my pc. They got lost. There was even a rumor MS will soon do away with desktop.

MS wanted to remove that notion. So v have now desktop at center.
In start menu .. Desktop tile makes no sense. In tablet mode.. Ya sure it is an aid. But MS wants to let people believe or say make comfortable that desktop is here and it will work same as before..
Also desktop is still not optimized for desktop its better to stay with modern apps while using touch

solarscreen

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
1. When nearly all your complaints are about looks, you are the problem.
2. Functionality issues should be reported and discussed so solutions can be created.
3. OneDrive placeholders were removed because not all devices will have 2TB of storage space.
4. You can recreate placeholders with WebDAV. search is your friend.

(Hate? Really? It's personally disappointing how ridiculous this generation has gotten with their toys.)

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I am so confused by all the calls for a desktop tile. There's no difference between a Store app and anything else in terms of how they behave for windowing, which is entirely the point of the set up; 'desktop' is just a mode toggle. Toggling between them can be automatic for convertibles and hybrids, and it's a system function; the quick action menu is where it belongs.

Point being that clicking/pointing at a Tile is faster than looking through a menu after a specific switch/Icon.
AND, I also think it could create an opportunity to have both a real Desktop mode (the one people seems to love in W7/10) AND the super fine tablet mode we have in W8.1.

I have no big problems with W10 in desktop mode (more than it looks much unpolished, inconsistent and miss a good OneDrive) but I really think the new tablet mode is a joke.

rapperman

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Overall Windows 10 has been a mixed bag for me.

The fact that I can't decide for myself which updates to install burns me up. I've already experienced one problem that in my opinion can only be related to an update that went unnoticed until a reboot. One app I installed was completely removed (generic shortcut placeholder left where the app's icon had been), and the edge browser had been reset and all saved bookmarks deleted. It actually felt as though there had been a system rollback. Weird thing is that the system only reported 3 updates as having occurred, all of which were installed 2 days prior to this "reset" and I shut down my system nightly. This leads me to believe that Microsoft may be pushing some updates in a more "stealthy" fashion, and these stealth updates are not being reported on the update list.

And while most folks seem to dig the Edge browser it was really the most frustrating part of Windows 10 for me. Ads were out of control everywhere I went on the 'net and slowed the browser to a crawl. Installed Chrome and Adblock and everything is now good 'net wise. I'll give Edge another shot once extensions become available.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
2) white backgrounds in all system menus..... Why....
I agree with this, I mean who would design a system of providing information where the background is white and all the information is displayed in black. You just never see that in the real world, it's almost like the graphic designers were so lazy they spent their whole work days reading books.

I agree I don't think this is as big of a deal as the OP makes it, but lets be real here. I'm using a computer, not reading a book. And honestly, white background with black text from a monitor (i.e., light is emitted directly by the device) hurts and strains my eyes. Its the reason I switched Edge / Groove Music to Dark mode, and pretty much everywhere else I can. Its also why I use the Dark theme in Visual Studio. Not to mention that white on black uses much less energy than black on white (black pixels require no power, white require the most).

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Without tile!

With tile:
1: 1 touch. 1 ACTION! (And no one at microsoft is gonna die from that tile being there)

Problem with that. The tile on a desktop still means you have to get TO the desktop before you can change modes.
So, with tile:
1. Minimize all apps to show desktop.
2. Touch the tile.

Sorry, the toggle in Action Center is still easier to work. Is it an ideal solution? I doubt there is an ideal solution.

lot of people are complaining that tablet mode just isn't good. The fact is, tablet mode is still unfinished. Microsoft deemed it "good enough" to work and therefore sent the update out for Windows 10 so they could get Windows 10 on devices in time for back-to-school. Was that a good idea? I don't know. Only time will tell.

Tablet mode will improve over time, as will all of Windows 10. Welcome to Windows as a Service. As an Operating System, Windows 10 will never be finished. They will always be tinkering with it, making changes, trying to make it better. No more having to wait for the next OS to get a new set of features or a feature fixed to work the way it should have to start with. Once you've got Windows 10, you've got Windows 10. It will always evolve, improve, and change.

Not 100% of everyone will ever like everything an OS has to offer. That's why there are choices of OS on the market. Windows is the biggest in the market, but there are a LOT of choices. Mac OS/X, Linux, BeOS, SunOS, OpenBSD, eComStation, ReactOS, Syllable, SkyOS. There are enough versions and variations of Linux alone to satisfy most people.

Personally, I really like Windows 10. Are there problems? Yes. Are there issues with how things work? I'd say there are a few. However, for the first time in the history of Windows, I actually have faith that Microsoft is going to work on fixing all those issues and make it the best OS that has ever existed and everything I want it to be.

For the first time, Microsoft is listening to user feedback. They have been making changes and implementing features based on what people who USE Windows have given in feedback.

Hey, just because Microsoft said no to your idea or the way you want it, doesn't mean they aren't listening to feedback. Problem is, there were way more people wanting it different than how you wanted it. It's like a mother of 10 children is about to bake a batch of cookies. 8 want chocolate chip, and 2 want oatmeal raisin. Guess what. Mom makes chocolate chip cookies, and 2 of her kids start whining for the next 3 days that they didn't get oatmeal raisin. That's life, and life is hard sometimes. We have to learn sometimes to live the way the majority of other humans live.

Also, just because an idea isn't implemented doesn't mean it WON'T be implemented. Many ideas are being re-written from scratch. You complain, "Yeah, but my idea wouldn't have been that hard to put in." Hey, there are so many ideas to work on, they have to decide on priority. First priority was to make it WORK without crashing and burning. That's easier said than done.

No matter how simple you think an idea is to implement, there is always something it will conflict with and a bug somewhere else it will cause. If you've never been a professional programmer on a really large project like an Operating System, then you've got no right to complain and say they should have done it faster, because you just don't know what you're talking about. I've written an Operating System. I've designed a computer system and designed the CPU to drive it. Granted, that was a long time ago, but I'll never forget the challenges those things present and how much more difficult it can be to accomplish than anyone that's never tried it can even imagine.

Yes, it will take time. We will get there. We will also never completely be at the end of the changes needing to be made, because with Windows as a Service, it will continue to evolve for as long as Windows exists.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I am only upset for 2 reasons:

1: Forced updates.
I have 5 windows PCs for each family member on metered connection. Now how the hell I am supposed to use my broadband for myself after whatever is left after updating these many Windows 10? And what will be left for other family members to use, antivirus updates, other essential software patches and of course for the smartphones each one has? Previously I just disabled auto updates on all computers and I was fine. For us in developing countries, broadband comes at a high price.
Also, for one gaming PC, I need a stable drivers for the hardware for every game to work smooth. Now all released driver updates are just forced no matter where they are optimized with all the games or specifically what I play. Also **** software's that come with the drivers are installed automatically (eg. NVIDIA GeForce Experience). I just don't want that.
Then the stuff I really don't want patched such as .NET, C++ which are needed and installed by some games and/or apps are also getting updated and are seriously wasting my bandwidth. I like them stock, without any latest patch because it really doesn't matter.
Windows defender- I don't use it. I have my own internet security suite. Why would I like keep updating windows defender on every computer?

Make sure the option to get updates from other PCs on your network is enabled in the advanced update settings. When one machine gets the update it can be shared with others locally. If you're really worried, setup WSUS.

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Problem with that. The tile on a desktop still means you have to get TO the desktop before you can change modes.
So, with tile:
1. Minimize all apps to show desktop.
2. Touch the tile.

Sorry, the toggle in Action Center is still easier to work. Is it an ideal solution? I doubt there is an ideal solution.

The Task View switcher is 1 click, so essentially can a switch from desktop work exactly the same. I just really hate that MS thought that they could flip the whole system and then make touch worse. Just because my mom doesn't want touch, doesn't mean everyone else should live without it.

I'm sorry to say this, but Windows is made for the American consumer (no offense, but the way that MS insists on competing is just downright weird) Not for others. the American market dominates every vision they attempt to create. This extreme focus on indvidual stories and elements takes us outta the big picture. Apple and Google thinks global, big picture and broad, why can't MS. Everything MS is about American consumers, us non-americans, we don't get cortana even if we do speak english and then we got location clashes and what not! It's ridiculous. MS is so deadset on not getting too many complaints in the US market while EU and Scandinavia (Denmark specifically) are most true to their licenses and they work their way around things. Why do they keep ignoring that?

Last edited:

Joseph Avena

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Fully Disagree.....I loved working in 8.1 really easy. I work with seniors and they adapted very easily. As for W10, i kind of like it just trying to understand how it works and the changes implemented. How you wrote the list is like saying you should have stayed with your 59 Chevy.

Pete Doughty

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
OK but may I point out the elephant in the room while you are picking the dust.. for the first time ever Microsoft has released an OS free for current users of two other versions that span some time.. This has been done to obtain a blanket upgrade for future compatibility and "surprisingly" is the best way to find and fix bugs in an OS using peoples feedback and live reports. I guarantee Microsoft's windows department is a madhouse right now of fixes and updates and changes to the FREE software we are testing for them.

Pete Doughty

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Apple doesn't even pay taxes in the US or pay its sweatshop workers properly, Google wants to own the internet and Denmark could always make its own OS? No one is forcing Denmark to use MS products. As for Cortana did you try installing windows10 from microsoft's ISO builder, having selected US when downloading?

codytebaldi

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

Without tile!

With tile:

From desktop top tablet. Let's assume you're hand is on a mouse and you wanna go from photoshop to a chillax mode.

Without tile/shortcut
1: That's leaving your mouse, swiping in, click switch (3 actions)

With tile/shortcut
1: 1 Click!!!!!! Easy!

Is this really that much of a hardship? In both cases the difference is less than one second's worth of action. And even with a tile on the Start screen, you're really talking about more than just "1 action", considering that if you're switching from some other task you need to summon Start (action #1) in order to hit the tile (action #2), unless you're sitting there just staring at Start the whole time.

Seriously, "right-swipe + tap" is just fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077