Text message preview!!!!

Ryan 71291

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I just got my 920 Saturday and quickly learned that you can't turn off the text message preview. That is very annoying if you are having a private conversation. So every time I get a text whoever is around me see's who sent it and about the first 5 words. Does anyone know when this will be fixed. Very aggravated.

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Not being sarcastic, why don't you just keep your phone in your pocket or face down if you have to have it out. I doubt that this will get changed anytime soon if at all.

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When you ask if it is going to be fixed, you imply that it is broken. It is in fact working as it is supposed to.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Yea...because if you got a call the caller will also pop up on your screen. Keep your phone in your pocket for those "private" conversations.

HM02

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you, Ryan. It should be optional at least. Some people like it, some don't. It's not a 'complaint about something dumb.'
What's dumb, is thinking that every preference or setting in Windows Phone has to be liked and agreed upon by all the users. derp

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't have to be liked or agreed upon. Options are always good and thinking that way, for every YES on devs perspective they should create a NO. So for every design initiative they should create an option. It already exists and is called Android.
However, if the conversations are that private, I won't leave my freaking phone away from me. I keep it closer than my shirt. Why? Because I know I am dealing with private stuff, so I don't want to show off my phone till I'm done with it.
But again, that's not a solution.

Answer to OP- there is no fix. It is what MSFT has chosen by design. Glance and Go. You look at 5 words preview or name of who sent, if you want to open it, you bother taping and sliding. If not, you put your phone back.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree 100000%... Even if you're not in the middle of a conversation and a text message comes in and you don't really want people around you to see it, you should have the option to change it to just a notification..

Another one of the many little things (polish) that WP is just missing ...

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if I'm understanding this right... you can change what's displayed for the detailed status.

I think OP means that there's a banner that pops up at the top. I think this is a fine idea, and one that isn't implemented in anything else (at least, I never saw it in Android the 4-5 years I used it).

mapleleafs89

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if I'm understanding this right... you can change what's displayed for the detailed status.

This. If you go to the lockscreen settings, change what is shown for the detailed status. By default its messaging I think? If you change it, won't it not show the message preview on the lockscreen?

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This. If you go to the lockscreen settings, change what is shown for the detailed status. By default its messaging I think? If you change it, won't it not show the message preview on the lockscreen?
You can have it set to show the preview of the message on the lock screen, but what the OP is talking about is the "Toast" notification that pops up at the top of the screen when a text comes in. It also has a preview of the text that was just received.

I haven't used Android all that much, but I think it is absurd that when you get a text, the screen doesn't even light up to tell you who it is from. At least that is the way it works on my Sister's Galaxy Nexus and her son's Sony Experia Play. Maybe it is in the settings somewhere I have never looked. From what I recall from my old iPhone it had a really annoying pop up that you had to acknowledge in order to do anything else. I really like what WP does for text messages.

xacious

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree there should be an option to disable the preview but luckily I don't have anyone trying to read over my shoulder when I get an alert. I know this isn't a real fix but my suggestion would be to swipe the alert away as it comes up if its a bit racy. Again, its not a fix but it is an option.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
This is one of the strangest "problems" I've encountered on this forum. That's what notification is for, to notify you of what going on. Sorry op there's no other solution than when you're having a more private convo, just keep your phone out if reach from others' eyes...
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

lycosman

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
After using an Android phone for about a month (argh) while my WP7 went for repair, it was only when I got back to WP that I realized that this happens. And yes, I agree that it should be somehow resolved to suit those who are a bit more concerned about privacy than I am. It doesn't bother me much, though. I'm not concerned about my privacy except when it comes to my thoughts - I don't really care that people can read a bit of my texts.

passntyme

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I agree. There needs to be a setting to turn off the preview. My android had this feature. It would just say "New Message". Really wish my 920 would.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)