The Kinect Thread

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
For demonstrations and game announcements. Let's start with a demo showing off Kinect's new hardware.

[video=youtube;7dSefGxnThc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7dSefGxnThc[/video]

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You sir, are banned. Apple hasn't been innovative for years.

Sorry, thought I was in the ban the post above thread for a min. But yeah MS is the new Apple.

No, not until they have a string of 5 consecutive hits can you call then the new Apple.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
No, not until they have a string of 5 consecutive hits can you call then the new Apple.

well apple hasn't had crap for a while now. If MS isn't the new Apple, then there is nothing new/inovative from any company and that's just not the case.... Idk if the illumiroom is vapor ware, but even so, it's miles above the competition. The new Kinect, if it works as promised, sets the the One well above the competition. Then throw in MS' cloud computations and Windows 8 fully embracing touch screen... I could go on...

Besides, Apple never had 5 consecutive hits.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
well apple hasn't had crap for a while now. If MS isn't the new Apple, then there is nothing new/inovative from any company and that's just not the case.... Idk if the illumiroom is vapor ware, but even so, it's miles above the competition. The new Kinect, if it works as promised, sets the the One well above the competition. Then throw in MS' cloud computations and Windows 8 fully embracing touch screen... I could go on...

Besides, Apple never had 5 consecutive hits.

iPod --> iPhone --> aluminum Macs ---> iPad --> Apple TV

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
this looks nice! they thought about what people have complaining about of kinect 1.
this makes kinect 2 really awesome! and useful in alot of scenarios, so it can be used like its meant to be used.

i wish Microsoft would push kinect 2 for PC and Windows 8 and apps, do the same they are trying to achieve Xbox One. it really would be nice to control Windows 8 just like Xbox with kinect if we wanted to.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
this looks nice! they thought about what people have complaining about of kinect 1.
this makes kinect 2 really awesome! and useful in alot of scenarios, so it can be used like its meant to be used.

i wish Microsoft would push kinect 2 for PC and Windows 8 and apps, do the same they are trying to achieve Xbox One. it really would be nice to control Windows 8 just like Xbox with kinect if we wanted to.

Coming to windows in 2014.
Kinect next-gen to launch on PCs in 2014 - Gaming News - Digital Spy

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

but i mean push it! not like actual kinect for Windows.
where are the apps? why Windows 8 and its apps doesnt have support for it?. the tech was always there but you couldnt really get more than the SDK.
i dont want it to happen again that kinect 2 for pc will be another piece of harware that wont be really matter unless you create your own things. because people created nice stuff like the chair moving with kinect. but it wasnt useful for me! i want it to be able to be useful for Windows users in general, so you can use, mouse and keyboard, touch or kinect or Xbox controller or your mind to control Windows.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
iPod --> iPhone --> aluminum Macs ---> iPad --> Apple TV

Unless your a Mac fanatic, no one cares about Apple TV and aluminum macs... IPod, iPhone & iPad I'll give you though, but that's only 3. And when you break it down, the iPhone is just an iPod with a cell phone antenna... So maybe 2. And the iPad is just an iPhone with a bigger screen... So maybe 1. Apple has done nothing innovative in the last couple of years, but act like they invited new tech (noise canceling mics, tablets, smart phones, etc.)

Last edited:

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
but i mean push it! not like actual kinect for Windows.
where are the apps? why Windows 8 and its apps doesnt have support for it?. the tech was always there but you couldnt really get more than the SDK.
i dont want it to happen again that kinect 2 for pc will be another piece of harware that wont be really matter unless you create your own things. because people created nice stuff like the chair moving with kinect. but it wasnt useful for me! i want it to be able to be useful for Windows users in general, so you can use, mouse and keyboard, touch or kinect or Xbox controller or your mind to control Windows.

I think more support/functionality will be there and Kinect 2 will be more useful but that it wont get any marketing push on Windows so still will be just a novel accessory for the pc. MS is having enough trouble getting gamers to accept Kinect and getting pc users to accept Metro that I don't think they will be pushing another interface for Windows any time soon.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Unless your a Mac fanatic, no one cares about Apple TV and aluminum macs... IPod, iPhone & iPad I'll give you though, but that's only 3. And when you break it down, the iPhone is just an iPod with a cell phone antenna... So maybe 2. And the iPad is just an iPhone with a bigger screen... So maybe 1. Apple has done nothing innovative in the last couple of years, but act like they invited new tech (noise canceling mics, tablets, smart phones, etc.)

Dude, you seriously are in DEEP denial about Apple if you think there is no difference between iPhone & iPad.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
How about we stop talking about Apple and focus on the topic :p

I'm quite excited for the Kinect, cos it now seems to have the capability to have a lot of potential, but I'm a bit worried if developers will use it. PS4 also has it's version of Kinect, but I believe that one isn't bundled in, so we're left with only X1 having motion sensor/voice recognition always present.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think developers will be more open to using Kinect this time around as it's a requirement and everyone with a One will have it.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If the Kinect really functions with hardly any lag then I think the possibilities are endless. Ryse looks pretty sweet. I want to sweat my *** off chopping off heads and actually physically ducking behind "cover."

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
If the Kinect really functions with hardly any lag then I think the possibilities are endless. Ryse looks pretty sweet. I want to sweat my *** off chopping off heads and actually physically ducking behind "cover."

You do have to remember that many, if not most, console gamers do not want to do that. They want to sit on their couch and take it easy. It's a risky move to make it into a sports game :p There are however plenty of things that can be done with fe. hand signals/gestures and voice commands in game without requiring one to sweat their asses off :p

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So... I'm at my friend's place and we're playing on the Wii U. As you all know, certain Wii U games require you to physically move the tablet controller around to search for items in the game. That eventually lead to him (and me) lifting the controller over our heads, pointing it at the floor and sometimes having to do a nearly complete 180 in our seats. He thinks that's a really cool aspect of the Wii U controller.

...but he thinks moving your arms to play Kinect is stupid.

/facepalm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers