The Windows Phone App Gap--Reality Versus Perception

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My favorite iOS 7 tweet was.....my phone looks like a nickelodeon commercial.

Wasn't WM around before the iPhone?
LONG before. Windows CE was the basis of SmartPhone 2000, SmartPhone 2002, and Windows Mobile 2003, 2003SE, 5, 6, 6.1 and 6.5. I was using Windows CE-based phones LONG before the iPhone concept was conceived. I don't remember names now of the first Windows-based phones I had, but a few of the later ones were the Sprint Mogul, Touch Pro, and the Touch Pro 2. I had thought about getting the HD2 (though I did like the keyboard of the others), but I got an early look at a Windows Phone 7 Series (what a horrible name) prototype, so I waited until Verizon got the Trophy (I did try the Sprint Arrive and the ATT HTC Focus, but where I live, both of them have pitiful coverage).

Last edited:

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
App Gap is really a reality. These are the apps I've been waiting for to come or be updated.

Facebook (the real official app)
Flipboard
Youtube (Yes I tried, Metrotube, YouTube HD, Toib, MyTube but I still prefer the classic look of Google's Youtube. Personal preference)
Yahoo Messenger
Plants vs Zombies 2
Minion Rush (update)
Asphalt 8 (update)
Temple Run (update)
Chrome (WP IE is seriously great but Chrome is better in my opinion)

Don't get me wrong, WP marketplace is slowly improving but still a long way. :smile:

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
App Gap is really a reality. These are the apps I've been waiting for to come or be updated.

Facebook (the real official app)
Flipboard
Youtube (Yes I tried, Metrotube, YouTube HD, Toib, MyTube but I still prefer the classic look of Google's Youtube. Personal preference) Blame Google for the lack of this
Yahoo Messenger IM Plus is great, yahoo doesn't seem interested.
Plants vs Zombies 2
Minion Rush (update)
Asphalt 8 (update)
Temple Run (update)
Chrome (WP IE is seriously great but Chrome is better in my opinion)

Don't get me wrong, WP marketplace is slowly improving but still a long way. :smile:

The facebook one I've never had an issue with, but then I don't really use it much anyway. Chrome...didn't like it on the android I had a while back, don't care for the PC version. I'd take Firefox over chrome any day, and IE works great.

Kaye Morales

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Still waiting for:
Facebook - what's with the news about Facebook Blue for WP 8.1. I hope they'll bring more features of facebook like sending files and audio record in messenger and the "feeling/eating/drinking" button for the status. Faster photo uploading too. Otherwise, I'm fine with it.

Stumbleupon - there is a Windows 8 app. Why not bring it on phone? Same goes with Flipboard.

Reading List - there is one in the store but I don't know why it's not compatible with my phone. I'm fine not having Pocket if this app only work on my device. Better if integrated with IE.

Quora, Yogify by EA, Beautylish, Pose, SOUNDCLOUD

OneNote - please update. Make it better than Evernote.

For games: Minecraft, NBA series. Pleeeeeaaaassee!!!!

Please bring a decent movie maker. Also, I find InstaShape an awesome app. I hope there'll be a similar one too in the store.

SpareBot

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
My list also still lacks a lot of necessary apps:

- Threema
- Comixology Client
Spotify (that abbandoned excuse of an app does not count)
- T-Mobile App
- Several Google Apps
- Aviary (got discontinued for WP8)
- Pocket Casts (for syncing with iOS and Android timestamps)
- MyDealz
- eBay Kleinanzeigen
- Temple Run 2
- and dont get me started on lack of Pebble and Chromecast Support

elangab

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have both a Nexus 5 and Lumia 920 and an iPad. So I use all three mobile OSes though only WP8 and Android as a phone. And so far I don't see much of an app gap in the real world. Bloggers and 'journalists' talk about the app gap but have they really used these OSes in the real world?

First, in the US it's much better than other markets.
Second, besides my bank I have everything that I need, but my friend would never give up his Android, as he loves "ScummVM". So it's not a question of how many apps, but "that one app" that's a deal breaker.

Also, be sure that most new apps, especially small local apps (Maybe your gym/coffee shop/supermarket etc.), would be released for iOS/Android first, and - if at all - only later to WP.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
First, in the US it's much better than other markets.
Second, besides my bank I have everything that I need, but my friend would never give up his Android, as he loves "ScummVM". So it's not a question of how many apps, but "that one app" that's a deal breaker.

Also, be sure that most new apps, especially small local apps (Maybe your gym/coffee shop/supermarket etc.), would be released for iOS/Android first, and - if at all - only later to WP.

You make a good point. Niche apps are hard pressed to be seen on on WP. If anything there is an iOS app, then it is ported over to Android (a few apps were like this even my favorite NFL team the Patriots app looked like a pre iOS 7 app), and then it never gets past there. If anything a Starbucks app would be cool on WP. I went to Starbucks religiously when I worked a t Barnes and Noble and I still have a Starbucks card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria