This Surface Laptop is the First Overpriced Device With a Surface Branding

Nick the Fox

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, pricing was always a problem for Surface line up (except maybe Studio, here i can see that price tag)

If they wanna do that kind of W10S devices they shouldn't be priced then 500 at least. And i kinda interested in package it comes with, Pen and Dial should be included for that price

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
As most others have already points out, ALL the Surface products are "overpriced". Or are they? As long as people are forking out the cash for it, doesnt it mean it's priced correctly? Free market and all that?

Spec wise? Of course it's expensive. Exactly the same as Mackbook, people are buying the complete package. And design is a huge factor in that decision. I've also found Microsoft support on hardware to be excellent.

mikeneri

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
It's pretty obvious to me that they've got their eyes on the Apple crowd. Not that they'll convert hardcore users, but they could probably steal some sales.

Deepak Minhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Plenty of people whose needs aren't quite met by the Surface Pro or Surface Book have been calling for a "Surface Laptop." And this is what Microsoft has delivered. It doesn't have that Surface twist. It's the Surface Laptop, yes, but it's the Surface, just a Laptop.

Philip Belosa

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I think every Surface Bundle you will find right now, is a better deal for students.

Its odd, that they gave surface pen support to the Surface Laptop. Of Course yeah... "Surface" and pens belong together, but the Surface category doesnt fit on this device.
No special killer feature.
Not even a dedicated graphic. :(

A Yoga-Style flip screen would have been great on this device in combination with the pen.

700 bucks for the i5 version would be the sweet sport for this device.

pischk

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Pure and simple, Microsoft likes to share with their Surface line what a top-of-the-line device looks like. They leave the more affordable device market to their partner OEMs, who will make the less expensive devices that compete or beat the current Chromebook market.

Here's a link to site that list a few featured ones, but at the bottom, you can link to a huge database of Windows 10 S devices aimed at different age groups. So far, the cheapest model I saw was $159.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I think there's a bit of give and take with the Surface Lineup. Yes, they're not the 'cheapest' product on the market but I think there's a pretty good quality to the product that provides pretty consistent experience. They're also the innovators when it comes to this and that's not a bad thing.

There's a premium put on portability and they're making products that fit in this space. I'm excited to potentially check one out.

tonghao1992

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I personally don't think it's overpriced. Compared to Surface Pros, the laptop has a true keyboard. Also It's finely finished. If you compare it to Dell XPS laptop, the price is actually quite reasonable at this setting.

TheFlyingDutchBros

May 16, 2017
Visit site
-2017 still hasn't seen USB-C overtake USB-A. Honestly, it's struggling to get mainstream support and the standard needs to be tightened so that consumers can expect any USB-C cable to be just as good as another, right now they can't and that's exactly why Microsoft didn't include it.

-The touch screen isn't the focal point of this device, it's simply a bonus. That being said, the form factor is not ideal for touch screen use, I agree.

-Windows 10 S is not at all Windows RT all over again. For one, it works on x86 architecture, not ARM, meaning Win32 apps packaged as UWP using the Desktop Converter and distributed through the store can still be utilized. Windows RT could not do this. RT also could be upgraded to Pro, S can.

-No expandable storage may be a downer for some, but as this is aimed at students, not professionals, average number of documents and documents sizes are going to be smaller and will likely be held in the cloud to a significant extent for the sake of mobility.

-720p is unfortunate for some, but bad connections have made every video call I've ever made less than 720p regardless of hardware on either end so it means little to me. Also, it supports Windows Hello which is awesome.

-I would argue that plenty of students have no need for a notepad like interface. Sure, it'd be nice to have, but it's not a deal-breaker by any means.

As with any Surface device, the price is high and the point is not for Microsoft to sell a ton of them, it's to inspire OEMs to go make their own devices that will sell tons of units. In this case that means low-cost notebooks aimed at elementary schools, not Macbook rivals, we already have plenty of those.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheStivo