Thought this was a good article about the 5c.

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, I hadn't spotted that! It is most kind of you to provide assistance.
I don't understand your second comment. Why do you think I'm trolling?

Because you're too busy trolling. I've seen your useless comments in other threads too and I don't like replying to them. Stop asking rhetorical questions.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Because you're too busy trolling. I've seen your useless comments in other threads too and I don't like replying to them. Stop asking rhetorical questions.

I ask questions to try to get to the bottom of people's arguments. They are genuine questions, not rhetorical. Do they offend you in some way? That is certainly not my intention, and I apologise if I do.
To get back on topic, does anyone have comparable sales figures for iPhone 4S last year, and iPhone 5C this year?

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Always google/bing before asking questions.

According to CIRP, the iPhone 5c accounts for 27% of iPhone sales vs. 64% for iPhone 5s. Last year, also according to CIRP, the iPhone 4s captured 23% vs. 68% for iPhone 5.

Source: CNBC claims iPhone 5c sales ‘disappointing’ despite proof otherwise – MacDailyNews - Welcome Home

Hey, thanks. Those figures suggest the 5C is actually doing OK. Even that it's given Apple a small advantage compared to last year. The question for them is whether the 5C is cannibalising sales of the 5S. My impression is that it's not, but that's much harder to quantify.
I am quite curious why Apple changed their strategy and introduced a cheaper (well, relatively speaking) new model rather than relying on the previous year's product. The obvious answer, although bizarrely I haven't seen it written anywhere (those technology journalists don't necessarily know much about technology) is that they needed the cheaper model to support LTE globally. The 5 had very limited LTE support (one or two bands only, I think), while the 5C in all its different variants can support almost anything. Given that they needed a redesign anyway, I guess Apple saw an advantage in branding the model differently and reducing the cost of the case.

BTW, the LTE band fragmentation is going to be a killer for consumers and manufacturers, as I wrote in another thread.

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Those figures suggest the 5C is actually doing OK. Even that it's given Apple a small advantage compared to last year.

5C might be doing okay but not what Apple expected else why would have they reduced the orders by almost 35 percent. While on the other hand 5S production was increased by 75%. But now its being reported that 5c sales seem to be picking up in the United States but the device’s impact on emerging markets is still somewhat muted.

us-5s-5c-ratio-chart-1024x510.png

global-5s-5c-ratio-chart-1024x509.png

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
5C might be doing okay but not what Apple expected else why would have they reduced the orders by almost 35 percent. While on the other hand 5S production was increased by 75%. But now its being reported that 5c sales seem to be picking up in the United States but the device’s impact on emerging markets is still somewhat muted.

Nice graphs! Seems like good news for Apple overall - they will certainly make more money on the 5S than the 5C. Not surprising the 5C hasn't had in impact in developing markets, as it's far too expensive for them.
Looked at neutrally, the conclusions seem to be:
- iPhone continues to do very well. Although it loses market share overall, that's because of growth at the low end of the market which Apple do not address, rather than decline at the high end.
- iPhone 5C seems to be selling less well than Apple's initial predictions, but this is more than made up for by the success of the 5S. (Note: figures for component orders should be viewed with caution, as we don't know the details of the supplier contracts. It might have been favourable for Apple to order high and then reduce in one case, and vice versa in the other. I'm not saying this is the case, but it's possible).
- Nevertheless, the 5C seems to be more successful than the equivalent 4S was last year, so is probably a win for Apple overall.
- Apple still don't address mid and low end smart phone markets. That is good news for Android and Windows Phone.

Fair summary?

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 5s and 5c are hitting 35 more countries today and on Nov 1 they'll go on sale in 16 more countries. Lets see how the sales figure develop. And I don't think Apple will ever be able to address the mid and low end especially the low end. That's not how they roll.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 5s and 5c are hitting 35 more countries today and on Nov 1 they'll go on sale in 16 more countries. Lets see how the sales figure develop. And I don't think Apple will ever be able to address the mid and low end especially the low end. That's not how they roll.

I think you're right. If they were going to do it, they would have done it by now.

Steven Garrigus

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Cutting production of the 5C doesn't provide a clear picture on it's own. Being that the 5C has five different colors, couldn't this be part of it? What about waiting to see how many 5C's are out there in the retail channels? It's only been on the market for a month so we have yet to see how it pans out.

On the subject of Apple addressing the mid to low-end smartphone market, I think they consider their "free on contract" phone as the low-end.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

They'll never make a device for the medium or lower grade markets period

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)