WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Good luck with that one. Latino men are taught from a young age that women do the cooking and other domestic duties while we fix the cars and the washing machines. Even in this country it's still pervasive, maybe another 100 years simmering in the Melting Pot might change things.

Me? I can make a mean pot of garlic rice on the stovetop, not the Hitachi. Other than that, boiling pasta is my limit.

I will take your word for it. I wouldn't hold it against a guy for not being able to, that's just my personal belief.

All of my guy friends, brother in law, my father (he can actually cook better than me, he was a cook for a restaurant for a period of time), and brother know how to cook so someone who doesn't, isn't one I see in my personal circle.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I will take your word for it. I wouldn't hold it against a guy for not being able to, that's just my personal belief.

All of my guy friends, brother in law, my father (he can actually cook better than me, he was a cook for a restaurant for a period of time), and brother know how to cook so someone who doesn't, isn't one I see in my personal circle.
It's a very interesting set up. I didn't start cooking until I moved out, because my aunt was one of those old school people. I think she started to take me serious when I called her one day to talk about a recipe. With the first person I lived with, we both were newer cooks but she did most of the cooking. There were certain things I learned to make.

Now, I do the meats and seafood and some of the more exotic dishes. I'm still catching up as I started cooking so late, but I haven't poisoned anyone so far so that's a good thing.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's a very interesting set up. I didn't start cooking until I moved out, because my aunt was one of those old school people. I think she started to take me serious when I called her one day to talk about a recipe. With the first person I lived with, we both were newer cooks but she did most of the cooking. There were certain things I learned to make.

Now, I do the meats and seafood and some of the more exotic dishes. I'm still catching up as I started cooking so late, but I haven't poisoned anyone so far so that's a good thing.

Wow I would have never guessed that was the case for you. LOL at not poisoning anyone, that's good. I think catching up is all good though. I appreciate that I know how to make some Nigerian food, but there's so many other dishes I'll like to try to make and have as a staple. It will be a lot easier to do that in my own space, and I'm working on that.

My mom believed that my brother should know how to cook, regardless of if he is a man or not and I appreciate that. Even though my brother in law is the only son, I'm guessing a similar thing was instilled in him as well.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Nice! That sounds very fun. Nice shots as well too!
Yeah, but I was really looking forward to using the 9 Pureview to test its depth of field prowess.

Also, if you book directly with the bowling alley they charge for a reservation it's over $100 (no food) for the same two hours. Groupon for the win indeed.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow I would have never guessed that was the case for you. LOL at not poisoning anyone, that's good. I think catching up is all good though. I appreciate that I know how to make some Nigerian food, but there's so many other dishes I'll like to try to make and have as a staple. It will be a lot easier to do that in my own space, and I'm working on that.

My mom believed that my brother should know how to cook, regardless of if he is a man or not and I appreciate that. Even though my brother in law is the only son, I'm guessing a similar thing was instilled in him as well.
We had to know how to cook not to depend on the woman. Girls had to know how to cook or the man who find someone who knew how to cook and you'd become the ex. That'd be cultural in the form of gender expectations.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

See, I always had an idea, but was never forced to until I moved out. When my last serious ex and I broke up, I had a kitchen to myself and had to get on the grind. I found allrecipes.com and Chef John on YouTube and that's where I started getting my sea legs. My mom is a classically French trained pastry chef, culinary degree and all. She was always a good cook, and when she got training, she is a beast in the kitchen. So conceptually, I have some genes to work with and I have the mindset of swapping components of a dish for lighter healthier versions or good alternatives.

I cook to eat, but I plan to take some classes to learn how to truly prepare food. That will make me a lot more confident in developing flavors in a shorter period of time. I'm very young in the kitchen, but I want to be competent.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
On a random note...

The reason why I talk about in hand feel so much is that emotional connection we all have to individual products and tools cannot be understated. The Mate 20 Pro feels great in the hand to me and when at home I use it without the case. (On a side note, if it were a flat screen, it would have been my daily driver eons ago). The 9 Pureview has a great in hand feel. So did the Mi Mix 2, the V35, the Mi Note 2, the HTC 10 and quite a few others. The S10+ is good, the Note 10 is good, the V40 is good-ish, the Mi 9 is good too.

I think that even though most phones get thrown in a case, evaluating in hand feel is still very important in purchasing a device.
Oh, I agree with you completely. I've never purchased a phone without trying it out in a store. That's the same situation with my latest. I wasn't sure if I wanted the S10 or the S10+, but I made my decision after playing with both.

I've used mostly clear cases on both my previous V20 and on my current S10+. I do have a blue Otterbox for the S10+ that I use occasionally.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
As someone who swings on the other side of what is "average" when it comes to this, this was a very interesting read. I hear of the idea of that talk and expectation but I don't personally get it.
I think this makes sense and I get how he would get to this point.
Well, she decided that it was necessary for her, which made it more challenging as a French woman. Even for people who sex is of lower priority, there is always some sexual expectations (having sex vs not having it). The act of sex isn't really the issue; it's the social implications of that act has been where the problems have always been.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So it looks like these won't be delivered in time. I might just swap the SIM into the Mate 20 Pro instead, but haven't decided it. I really should use it a bit more but work has been so tiring that I don't feel like doing much more than resting on weekends.
I'm sorry that the stuff for the Nokia got delayed. The Mate 20 Pro looks like a nice device from what I've seen.

I'm sorry work has been so rough. Are you off tomorrow?

I'll be at the kennel tomorrow. It's closed to the public, but volunteers will be able to walk and play with the dogs.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've always viewed this as understanding who you are and what you want.

Everyone is different. Have different needs, desires, etc.

Matching up to someone who is the same is difficult. Being honest is hard and possibly embarrassing.

The simple truth is knowing what you want first then getting into a relationship that works for you. But you should experiment to find out what it is you really want.

Not always easy and we all grow and change over time. So adding another dimension.

Also stereotypes of French are way off.
I feel the same as you do. I feel that she was just in the wrong relationship, since her values and desires were not compatible with those of the man she was with.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with that one. Latino men are taught from a young age that women do the cooking and other domestic duties while we fix the cars and the washing machines. Even in this country it's still pervasive, maybe another 100 years simmering in the Melting Pot might change things.

Me? I can make a mean pot of garlic rice on the stovetop, not the Hitachi. Other than that, boiling pasta is my limit.
I think who does what chores matters less than agreeing as a couple that both partners will do chores.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry that the stuff for the Nokia got delayed. The Mate 20 Pro looks like a nice device from what I've seen.

I'm sorry work has been so rough. Are you off tomorrow?

I'll be at the kennel tomorrow. It's closed to the public, but volunteers will be able to walk and play with the dogs.
I'm off tomorrow, thankfully. Work is such a mess, but it is what it is.

The Mate 20 Pro is one of the better phones I've owned in the past few years. My biggest issue is that it isn't a flat screen. It is one of the reasons why I was lusting after a Mate 10 Porsche design...it had the screen size I liked, screen was flat, had a big battery and a camera I found interesting. Huawei got serious from the P9 with the Leica partnership, but it was the Mate 10 line where they really showed they were gunning for Samsung...and Apple.

I do like the improvements the Mate 20 line had, I just don't like overly curved screens. I'll get the 9 Pureview set up soon enough.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
See, I always had an idea, but was never forced to until I moved out. When my last serious ex and I broke up, I had a kitchen to myself and had to get on the grind. I found allrecipes.com and Chef John on YouTube and that's where I started getting my sea legs. My mom is a classically French trained pastry chef, culinary degree and all. She was always a good cook, and when she got training, she is a beast in the kitchen. So conceptually, I have some genes to work with and I have the mindset of swapping components of a dish for lighter healthier versions or good alternatives.

I cook to eat, but I plan to take some classes to learn how to truly prepare food. That will make me a lot more confident in developing flavors in a shorter period of time. I'm very young in the kitchen, but I want to be competent.

Nice! I'll like to do the same thing with making good alternatives or healthier versions.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, but I was really looking forward to using the 9 Pureview to test its depth of field prowess.

Also, if you book directly with the bowling alley they charge for a reservation it's over $100 (no food) for the same two hours. Groupon for the win indeed.

Wow, nice deal! Gotcha, hopefully you'll be able to test that soon.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm off tomorrow, thankfully. Work is such a mess, but it is what it is.

The Mate 20 Pro is one of the better phones I've owned in the past few years. My biggest issue is that it isn't a flat screen. It is one of the reasons why I was lusting after a Mate 10 Porsche design...it had the screen size I liked, screen was flat, had a big battery and a camera I found interesting. Huawei got serious from the P9 with the Leica partnership, but it was the Mate 10 line where they really showed they were gunning for Samsung...and Apple.

I do like the improvements the Mate 20 line had, I just don't like overly curved screens. I'll get the 9 Pureview set up soon enough.
I'm glad you have tomorrow off.

I know what you're saying about curved screens. I had a bit of trouble with the curved screen on my S10+ for about a week. Now that I'm adjusted to it, I actually like it, since the curves make it easier to hold. However, my typing was problematic until I adjusted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlizaForbes