When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Nokia was occasionally criticized for its methods during firmware rollouts, but said rollouts were never as clunky and illogical under their ausipces as they are under Microsoft's. And we certainly were never duped into believing any Lumia devices had out-of-the-box features that they didn't really have.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Nokia was occasionally criticized for its methods during firmware rollouts, but said rollouts were never as clunky and illogical under their ausipces as they are under Microsoft's. And we certainly were never duped into believing any Lumia devices had out-of-the-box features that they didn't really have.
I think this is because MS has too many irons in the fire and the entire Lumia business is rather fragmented.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I'd really like to see what a Windows Phone firmware looks like, and what the carriers need to do/add/test to it before they can release it... Surely they don't actually need to add code and compile their mods into it?

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Lumia Denim and the 830 is simply false advertising. It would've been like advertising a 920 with 8.1 on launch day, sure it''' get it eventually, but that's not the product being sold.

richv77

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
The Microsoft kiosk in my local NJ mall sells the international Unlocked version.
I didn't buy that model because I was told it did not have the LTE bands for AT&T.

​-Rich

And this is in the US?

It's news to me, and it was reported as exclusive on WC?

rogonso

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have this reply from lumiahelp
rogonso We cannot comment on that. You may see this link: (can't post link) It will work regardless of your location. ^RR

This is really annoying, this kind of support is making me thinking to buy a oneplus

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
all I can say is let's bombard them with "me too"s and complaints. I can't believe there aren't more complaints other than what I see on WC?

I followed your advice and here's the text of the reply I got from MS Support:

"We understand that you would like to know when we are going to release the Denim update that enables all the features of the Lumia camera. In response to this, we regret to inform you that we are unable to provide the exact date when this update will become available. However, we wish to assure you that we are working with AT&T on a software update to bring the benefits of the Lumia Camera app to your phone and improve Wi-Fi discoverability. Right now, you can still enjoy the Lumia Classic Camera app which is also available from The Windows Store."

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
This is what I just got. I think something is moving. Whether because of people contacting them or whether this was on their schedule already - don't know. Either way, thanks to all who submitted questions to MS on this.
Capture.JPG

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Obviously not today, they usually do software updates on thrusdays. I was expecting the full denim to be released with the 830, then when I found out they were shipping it with an older build I figured around Christmas for the update to make sure people could get to play with the shiny new toy....... I never thought we would be sitting here mid march still waiting for the full denim update that was advertised with the phone and SHOULD have shipped with the phone... I am a bit peeved now.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
...and they keep implying it is an AT&T thing. But, their update website shows TWO lines, One for the "Country Variant" and the other for AT&T.

I bought my 830 direct from msoft and it has no AT&T branding so it must surely be the Country Variant model and that surely must be Msoft's responsibility for the update. Why would I need to be waiting on AT&T when I have never been an AT&T customer in my life?

For those wanting a link to the direct purchase, go to microsoftstore and type 830 into the search box. $449 delivered, no sign of AT&T.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
...and they keep implying it is an AT&T thing. But, their update website shows TWO lines, One for the "Country Variant" and the other for AT&T.

I bought my 830 direct from msoft and it has no AT&T branding so it must surely be the Country Variant model and that surely must be Msoft's responsibility for the update. Why would I need to be waiting on AT&T when I have never been an AT&T customer in my life?

For those wanting a link to the direct purchase, go to microsoftstore and type 830 into the search box. $449 delivered, no sign of AT&T.

Yes it is the country variant and the update would be pushed by Microsoft directly. My guess is MS would wait till AT&T pushes out the update for its RM-983 variant and then update its own unlocked RM-985 variant.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd really like to see what a Windows Phone firmware looks like, and what the carriers need to do/add/test to it before they can release it... Surely they don't actually need to add code and compile their mods into it?

The scary part is that they do. They create a build configuration for the OS and include apps, tools, network settings etc. that they need/want.

I've often wondered if this is why some 920 users have terrible battery life and others are fine. I.e. At&t adding their own buggy junk running in the background.

Tomween1

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Just an FYI, the 830 is not exclusive to AT&T. There is a carrier-free unlocked variant sold from MS directly. Those should have been updated by now
However these 2 devices clearly have some minute differences, as shown here
RM-984 is the global variant and will work on ATT in USA for HSPA/LTE. RM-985 is the Latin American variant with the AWS bands for HSPA+ and will get LTE on TMobile in the USA.

Here are the bands for RM-985
LTE700 (17), 850 (5), 1700 (4) 1900 (2) 2600 (7); WCDMA 850, 900, 1900, 2100 and GSM networks 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz ( RM-985 variant)

Here are the bands for RM-984
Network:
2G Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
4G Network: LTE 800 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
However these 2 devices clearly have some minute differences, as shown here

Neither of the variants you listed are the one sold by AT&T. AT&T sells the RM-983. The RM-984 is the regular international unlocked version that will also work in the U.S. sans LTE. The RM-985 is the North and Latin American international unlocked model that is compatible with LTE frequencies in the region. It's also the variant that the Microsoft Store sells.

Pankaj was just pointing out that the Lumia 830 is not exclusively sold by AT&T in the U.S. as one member said. The Microsoft Store sells an unlocked variant that is compatible with both AT&T and T-Mobile (RM-985).

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
My guess is MS would wait till AT&T pushes out the update for its RM-983 variant and then update its own unlocked RM-985 variant.

Sadly, that is also what I am thinking, but it makes a soul anxious when waiting on AT&T if that is the criterion. What AT&T nasties might be included in our 985 version? Since the phones have their own variant code, there should be no big deal in msoft releasing the 985 version as it could no be loaded to the 983 etc.

Maybe msoft is "trusting" AT&T to do the work for them. Nah, that's way too cynical. :O

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, that is also what I am thinking, but it makes a soul anxious when waiting on AT&T if that is the criterion. What AT&T nasties might be included in our 985 version? Since the phones have their own variant code, there should be no big deal in msoft releasing the 985 version as it could no be loaded to the 983 etc.

Maybe msoft is "trusting" AT&T to do the work for them. Nah, that's way too cynical. :O

My reasoning would be Microsoft waiting to push the update to the ATT variants first because the number of ATT devices sold would be much more than the unlocked RM-985 US variants. They might be holding off the update just to avoid pissing off the already pissed off RM-983/RM-985 customers

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
It is definitely comedy hour over at MS. The phone was shipped with Denim, only later we found out it didn't have the promised features. It's now going on 6 months since the phone was launched, and we still don't have the promised features. I came to WP because I was under the impression MS controlled the updates, and that they'd be quicker than my previous android phone. I see now the only way to stay current and secure with a smartphone is to buy Apple. I very much dislike (hate is quite strong) Apple products, but it may be my next phone. I'm currently testing my fiance's old 4s. It may become my new daily phone. It's a nearly 4yr old phone, that still gets the latest iOS updates the same time as the newest phone. Some may claim MS has too many phone models to support that fast. Somehow they manage on the PC side to support millions of configurations, with patches every couple weeks.

Some would say the average user doesn't care about updates, and that's likely correct. However, users such as my self do. I love my 830 (updates notwithstanding) and Windows Phone, but when people ask me what phone to get, I tell them to just make their life easy and get an iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aisi