When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
It is definitely comedy hour over at MS. The phone was shipped with Denim, only later we found out it didn't have the promised features. It's now going on 6 months since the phone was launched, and we still don't have the promised features. I came to WP because I was under the impression MS controlled the updates, and that they'd be quicker than my previous android phone. I see now the only way to stay current and secure with a smartphone is to buy Apple. I very much dislike (hate is quite strong) Apple products, but it may be my next phone. I'm currently testing my fiance's old 4s. It may become my new daily phone. It's a nearly 4yr old phone, that still gets the latest iOS updates the same time as the newest phone. Some may claim MS has too many phone models to support that fast. Somehow they manage on the PC side to support millions of configurations, with patches every couple weeks.

Some would say the average user doesn't care about updates, and that's likely correct. However, users such as my self do. I love my 830 (updates notwithstanding) and Windows Phone, but when people ask me what phone to get, I tell them to just make their life easy and get an iPhone.

MS screwed up the release by using an older version of Denim, but they wanted the phone on the market by Christmas. AT&T is the one now that is playing the games. They released the denim update a month ago now. This is not making me very happy.

I know Microsoft said they wanted to push the updates in 4-6 weeks to devices once Windows 10 is released. I am not holding my breath. If they can get the damn carriers out of the way, it might happen

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
MS screwed up the release by using an older version of Denim, but they wanted the phone on the market by Christmas. AT&T is the one now that is playing the games. They released the denim update a month ago now. This is not making me very happy.

I know Microsoft said they wanted to push the updates in 4-6 weeks to devices once Windows 10 is released. I am not holding my breath. If they can get the damn carriers out of the way, it might happen

What's their excuse for the US RM-985 country variant (sold directly via the Microsoft Store)?

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
What's their excuse for the US RM-985 country variant (sold directly via the Microsoft Store)?

beats me, I just know how it works for carrier updates. Maybe AT&T found an issue with the firmware that needs some attention. Maybe its radio related since the 985 and ATT's version have the same bands.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Now I am confused. My RM-985 arrived yesterday and it shows Denim installed.

Is there a Denim update that this thread is about?

Or is this the real thing?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Now I am confused. My RM-985 arrived yesterday and it shows Denim installed.

Is there a Denim update that this thread is about?

Or is this the real thing?

Denim is firmware and the L830 was shipped with a preliminary Denim firmware. It doesn't matter what OS you have installed (even on W10 you still have the same crippled fw). MS is currently pushing out this fw for many regions but not all.
The fw update will enable all the pureview capabilities that you will not get without it. If you are able to install Lumia Camera (not classic) you will see that it doesn't even open.

if you check this site you will for example see that the full Denim is available for the L830 in Canada with its respective fw numbers, but if you scroll down to USA it lists not available yet. With all updates installed the OS version on my US-ATT shows as 8.10.14219.341 and the fw version as 02040.00012.14404.07019.
​cheers

Last edited:

Diana Melamet

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Funny how the confusion never ends. About Denim and the camera apps, and Windows 10...
I am still waiting, as many others, for my Country Variant 985 to get its fix. Nobody but Microsoft to blame for the delay.
Keep the lamp burning!

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
This whole thing is absolutely stunning. I am personally amazed Microsoft hasn't respected their customers enough to explain to them why their AT&T Lumia 830 doesn't have all the advertised functionality and when exactly it will arrive.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
This whole thing is absolutely stunning. I am personally amazed Microsoft hasn't respected their customers enough to explain to them why their AT&T Lumia 830 doesn't have all the advertised functionality and when exactly it will arrive.

Why is this Microsoft's problem? The update is clearly ready, AT&T is the problem.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Why is this Microsoft's problem? The update is clearly ready, AT&T is the problem.
the non ATT 985 US version of the L830 does not have the latest Denim either. That is sold by MS directly.
Also, what if ATT doesn't even have the fw yet? Shouldn't it at least say testing if they had it and were not releasing it?
Finally, MS advertised the L830 with pureview capabilities right from the start because it supposedly has Denim. That is clearly MS' fault in false advertisement.
Maybe ATT is the problem too but there is no proof in my opinion. The response I received from MS is that they are working with ATT at the moment. Whatever that means....

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
the non ATT 985 US version of the L830 does not have the latest Denim either. That is sold by MS directly.
Also, what if ATT doesn't even have the fw yet? Shouldn't it at least say testing if they had it and were not releasing it?
Finally, MS advertised the L830 with pureview capabilities right from the start because it supposedly has Denim. That is clearly MS' fault in false advertisement.
Maybe ATT is the problem too but there is no proof in my opinion. The response I received from MS is that they are working with ATT at the moment. Whatever that means....

AT&T does have the firmware, they have it listed as in testing. And Microsoft stated that they released the update to carriers I think It was November.

they do fail at the firmware at launch though. big time in my opinion, but they may have had a *some features may not be available at release. statement in some advertisement fine print though, I have not had the time to look.

It could be that AT&T found a problem with the firmware that affects both the AT&T version and the RM-985 that needs fixing. Wh knows, as both companies do not seem to be able to communicate with their customers very well.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Where do you see it listed as testing?

unless there is another link, I do not see that either. "not available yet" is all I see.

Product | Description | Release | OS version | Firmware version
Lumia 830 | AT&T | Not available yet | Not available yet | Not available yet

It was listed just as Denim started rolling out, and before Microsoft changed the web page to show only the current firmware.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, this clearly shows the mess MS created with denim.
With the self-inflicted fragmentation MS created things will be left behind too often.

Last edited:

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

It's not just with Denim. I had this issue with my Canadian-sourced unlocked 520. It was on Black for the longest time until Rogers in Canada released Cyan then it got updated. It was still months later before the US 520s, finally got the Cyan. Now I have bought an RM-985 sold by msoft USA, yet I still have to wait until AT&T get off their collective lazy asses and roll out the full Denim. Then msoft will roll out the RM-985 version too.

Dumb-assed way of promoting the Windows Phone - msoft. I don't want to go back to google-data-theft, but it sure looks like I may have made a dumb decision stay with WP by getting the 830. A PlusTwo may be on my horizon. :)

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
If you have the There are instructions on flashing in the 920 forum and at XDA.

What's Nokia's warranty repair standpoint on a bricked phone?

Or, will the NCS bring it back from a failed Rogers update?

Which begs another question, if all of these phones can be flashed with other carrier alternatives like Denim (etc) how many of the updates are actually identical? Probably with the exception of Carrier short call codes, #999# type things.

Dumb system.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
What's Nokia's warranty repair standpoint on a bricked phone?

Or, will the NCS bring it back from a failed Roger's update?
do not do it if you are concerned about bricking your phone. It's not difficult and many here have done it (including myself) with the Lumia 920. But there is always a small chance that a phone gets bricked via flashing, just the nature of it.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
With the self-inflicted fragmentation MS created things will be left behind too often.

"Fragmentation." Isn't that exactly what MS said would NOT happen with Windows phone, as compared to Android?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
"Fragmentation." Isn't that exactly what MS said would NOT happen with Windows phone, as compared to Android?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Microsoft has zero control over carriers and how they update. Their attempt at removing fragmentation is what the Preview for Developers program is for. There's nothing they can do about firmware with phones tied to carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aisi