When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
According to the rep I spoke with they apparently don't care if they lose customers.

They probably don't care, depending on the customer. The idea is that some customers are more maintenance than they're worth. I'm not siding with AT&T, but their idea is that they'd just as soon get you off their backs.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
They probably don't care, depending on the customer. The idea is that some customers are more maintenance than they're worth. I'm not siding with AT&T, but their idea is that they'd just as soon get you off their backs.
I get what you're saying but seeing as they had already told me to cram it I'm not sure how much more I could have asked out of them. I left them because they left me no other option. I wasn't going to just accept their offhanded assertion that my claim was baseless. If they offered me anything I might have stayed. I find their business model curious to say the least. The AT&T is always right!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I get what you're saying but seeing as they had already told me to cram it I'm not sure how much more I could have asked out of them. I left them because they left me no other option. I wasn't going to just accept their offhanded assertion that my claim was baseless. If they offered me anything I might have stayed. I find their business model curious to say the least. The AT&T is always right!

Yes I know what you're saying. And again I'm not justifying AT&T's actions. I just know that while no business likes to lose customers, sometimes they'll make an exception.

At my workplace, we actually have a couple customers like that. Please don't misunderstand me; we always treat them with utmost respect while we try our hardest to make them happy, but at the same time we'd be better off without them. Probably all businesses have customers like that.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
how dare you doubt Lord AT&T?!?

but seriously.... most larger companies DO NOT care about the little guy that pays them monthly.

As for annoying customers, we let a few go last week. they threatened to leave as they were not happy with the service (all issues were in their head, as everything worked fine and I've walked them through it every time) and they were finally told "Sorry you feel that way, hope you enjoy your new service elsewhere".

but there is a difference between a sole customer that shouldn't own tech, and a product not working as advertised.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As for annoying customers, we let a few go last week. they threatened to leave as they were not happy with the service (all issues were in their head, as everything worked fine and I've walked them through it every time) and they were finally told "Sorry you feel that way, hope you enjoy your new service elsewhere".

Do you know what's interesting about that kind of customer? They find the same service wherever they go. How long does it take to realize that "I might be the problem!"?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
they never realize that. what they do realize is the cost vs what they are getting. the same amount of headaches and stupidity at $5 less to them feels like better service.

and that's how AT&T's BBB reps seem like they are treating people. as idiots that have no clue what they want, nor do they care about actually solving the issue.

TexZenFool

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
My wife was in an AT&T store today. She asked the rep whether my 830 would be getting Windows 10. The store rep supposedly looked it up online and checked my model number, then told her yes. Not sure I believe that since I wasn't there to check exactly what the rep was saying.

RobHalligan

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Could those of us ATT N830 owners who wanted, get on the Windows Insider program when a near-final W10 Mobile comes out? I hear it downloads Denim as part of the process. W10 desktop Windows Insider testers were allowed to authenticate to a final version when W10 final came out. W10 Mobile could be different.

Andrew Fratkin

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I just got off the phone after calling the AT&T rep back that was handling my BBB claim. The deal she offered me today was better than the original one on Friday so I took it. I traded my 830 for a 640XL (the only WP phone available from AT&T) and I'm not responsible for any more payments so I basically got the 640XL for $190 (the total amount of payments on my 830 to date). I'm not crazy about the size but I'll use the phone until the 950 comes out and then sell it. I figure I can sell it for $140+ and even if I come away with it costing me $50, considering I had the use of a phone for a year, I did OK.

I assure though, this will be the last carrier locked phone I buy.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...the Windows Insider program... ...downloads Denim as part of the process...

Users have sporadically reported getting Update 2 as Insider prepped their device for 10 TP. It's not a pattern that lends itself to idenifying if a phone definitively gets Update 2 or not during the Insider set up.

Note that Update 2 is NOT Denim. Update 2 is an advance of the core OS. Denim is firmware.

True enough... You could get on Insider for the last build, just before official... and then opt out afterward to avoid the bugs that will surely come in subsequent builds.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
My wife was in an AT&T store today. She asked the rep whether my 830 would be getting Windows 10. The store rep supposedly looked it up online and checked my model number, then told her yes. Not sure I believe that since I wasn't there to check exactly what the rep was saying.
Unless you get that in writing with the clause that if it doesn't get W10M you get a full refund for the original purchase price, then it's hot air. Not saying that it won't get W10M, maybe it will. But wow, what a mess fussing around with customers for a year both from MS and ATT.

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone after calling the AT&T rep back that was handling my BBB claim. The deal she offered me today was better than the original one on Friday so I took it. I traded my 830 for a 640XL (the only WP phone available from AT&T) and I'm not responsible for any ....
I went from L830 to 640XL unlocked myself and after two days I couldn't see myself going back. Both my wife and I love the 640XL. Sure it doesn't have the same premium feel compared to the L830 but it's "only" $230-240 for a 5.7" phone.
I think you got a fair deal out of your BBB claim. cheers

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I just got off the phone after calling the AT&T rep back that was handling my BBB claim. The deal she offered me today was better than the original one on Friday so I took it. I traded my 830 for a 640XL (the only WP phone available from AT&T) and I'm not responsible for any more payments so I basically got the 640XL for $190 (the total amount of payments on my 830 to date). I'm not crazy about the size but I'll use the phone until the 950 comes out and then sell it. I figure I can sell it for $140+ and even if I come away with it costing me $50, considering I had the use of a phone for a year, I did OK.

I'm glad you got something out of them. I think I got screwed because I purchased at an MS store and both AT&T and MS used that against me. MS saying "it's an AT&T product" and AT&T saying "you bought it from MS".

Anyway, good for you.

gdobro

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Users have sporadically reported getting Update 2 as Insider prepped their device for 10 TP. It's not a pattern that lends itself to idenifying if a phone definitively gets Update 2 or not during the Insider set up.

Note that Update 2 is NOT Denim. Update 2 is an advance of the core OS. Denim is firmware.

True enough... You could get on Insider for the last build, just before official... and then opt out afterward to avoid the bugs that will surely come in subsequent builds.

But, if im not wrong the preview for developers was created mostly to skip this issues from companies not launching updates. This previews always were versione very stable... So, why dont expect Microsoft to launch WP10 final version in this program and that everyone can update theirs ceelphone whatever cell company was and whatever model? Im missing something?

Thanks,
Gabriel.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It depends on what gets pushed in future Insider builds and how aggressive the changes will be. Nobody can say for certain right now. The more conservative users will want to get the build just before official and rest there to await developments. I've not seen any statements about how close future Insider builds will be to RTM after Win 10 Mo goes live.

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I went to my local MS Store today and explained my issue with the AT&T 830 not receiving the full Denim and the manager swapped out the phone for the unlocked version of the 830 no questions asked. I still have next payments due to AT&T but at least I am not stuck with the paper weight.

AT&T has yet to finalize my BBB complaint. I called the rep back today and asked for an update but have yet to receive a return phone call. At this point it is rather moot. But hats off to MS for being so customer focused and resolving my issue. I will never finance or purchase and AT&T branded phone again -- unlocked for me from now on.

Anyone know how to force 8.1 update 2 to the RM-985? I did a series of updates but still stuck on update 1.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I went to my local MS Store today and explained my issue with the AT&T 830 not receiving the full Denim and the manager swapped out the phone for the unlocked version of the 830 no questions asked. I still have next payments due to AT&T but at least I am not stuck with the paper weight.

AT&T has yet to finalize my BBB complaint. I called the rep back today and asked for an update but have yet to receive a return phone call. At this point it is rather moot. But hats off to MS for being so customer focused and resolving my issue. I will never finance or purchase and AT&T branded phone again -- unlocked for me from now on.

Anyone know how to force 8.1 update 2 to the RM-985? I did a series of updates but still stuck on update 1.

That's awesome. Is there any difference in terms of LTE or AT&T services? You still get internet sharing, MMS, and visual voice mail without issue? If so I might try this myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard