When will AT&T Lumia 830 get PROPER Denim update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb2p

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I received approval to return the 830 and exchange it for a 640XL, even though we're after the 15 day return period. We'll pay a restocking fee, but I'll do it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's awesome. Is there any difference in terms of LTE or AT&T services? You still get internet sharing, MMS, and visual voice mail without issue? If so I might try this myself.

I swapped my 830 internals for the unlocked RM-985 model's and I haven't noticed any differences.

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
That's awesome. Is there any difference in terms of LTE or AT&T services? You still get internet sharing, MMS, and visual voice mail without issue? If so I might try this myself.

When I first turned the unit on with AT&T sim, it pulled in a programming update from AT&T and all services appear to be working correctly. Visual Voicemail, LTE, Mobile Hot Spot and MMS. The only difference I can see thus far is when on a conversation the phone drops from LTE as normal but instead of the 4G icon, I get the H+ or H icon. It automatically updated to lumia camera 5. So far so good. I also purchased the MS Complete Warranty --- so I can upgrade to an unlocked flagship when I break the screen....lol. They apply full purchase price towards the purchase. I would leave AT&T and go to TMobile but although TMobile has made significant upgrades here in NH they are still not up to par with AT&T. Plus, I would need WIFI Calling feature at my house which you don't get on a non-TMobile branded headset. Verizon is still king of coverage in NH but I found their data to be slower and signal not as strong as AT&T.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I too moved from a 983 to a 985, and it seems to work exactly the same. I don't have Netflix, so I have no idea if that works or not.

Gilbriem

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Congrats to jiovine for finding a positive solution for his case. I just wish there was more consistency from either of these companies in this matter. I've pretty much given up at this point.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
There is indeed a way. Put it on my RM-983 and it made it that much better. No denim, but this'll hold me by.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...stalling-wp-8-1-update-2-lumia-devices**.html

Follow the steps exactly and it works like a charm.

not for me it didn't.... get an error 8018830f.
not the most fun of things considering the amount of crap needed to get done, just to have it fail at 9% every time.

update: yup, now at 13% every time it feels the need to fail.... and that was after doing a restore (and finding a windows machine at the office, 95% mac and virtual machines are not reliable)

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
not for me it didn't.... get an error 8018830f.
not the most fun of things considering the amount of crap needed to get done, just to have it fail at 9% every time.

update: yup, now at 13% every time it feels the need to fail.... and that was after doing a restore (and finding a windows machine at the office, 95% mac and virtual machines are not reliable)
I think you need to install Preview for Developers and let it update to a slightly newer version of the OS. Then you won't get the error anymore.
It is a loooong and tedious procedure - yep. but it works.

see my efforts here. After updating to minimum OS version of 8.10.15137.148 I was able to continue without the error.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I think you need to install Preview for Developers and let it update to a slightly newer version of the OS. Then you won't get the error anymore.
It is a loooong and tedious procedure - yep. but it works.

see my efforts here. After updating to minimum OS version of 8.10.15137.148 I was able to continue without the error.

arg, just started a restore :( and skipped the wifi portion, so it's doing it on 4g :( maybe I'll try again later tonight.

Update: that seemed to do it.on update 2, which doesn't mean a whole lot, besides "feeling" a bit smoother. same issue on netflix, and i am sure bluetooth will still be just as lovely :)

Last edited:

hb2p

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
We now have the 640XL, and were able to swap it out without the restocking fee!

For whatever reason, Netflix is not working on either of our phones now. It worked on my 920 last week. Go figure...

The app opens, and when we go to play the video, it opens ever so briefly and then kicks out of the app back to the apps menu.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Some of these phone can be flash updated. I did to my 635
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2515453

Know you are trying to help, but it's been discussed numerous time.The AT&T 830 variant is hosed until AT&T decides to do the right thing...

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Know you are trying to help, but it's been discussed numerous time.The AT&T 830 variant is hosed until AT&T decides to do the right thing...
Which goes against everything they stand for! I hope for the sake of everyone that still has a AT&T 830 that something good happens, but I'm not optimistic, which is of course, why I bailed.

NoMacDroid

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone talk about the last resort that AT&T offers - Binding Arbitration. I am thinking about taking this route. I have two 830's, one for me and one for my wife. One bought through AT&T Next and the other as new from eBay. Perhaps arbitration will lead to different results than BBB.

It can cost $200 up front if you file, but AT&T says they will reimburse you. I think we have a good case here, so I might send this in in the next day or two. I'll need to assemble the "evidence". I'll take any suggestions as to why/how AT&T has deceived us.

I'm a newbie, so the forum won't let me post a link to AT&T's arbitration page. But search the AT&T site for binding arbitration and I'm sure you can find it.

After mailing AT&T notice of my intent to submit a claim for binding arbitration I got a phone call today from Executive Appeals. He claimed that they do in fact intend to release Denim for their 830, but have had technical difficulties because their 830 is different from other models (which is true). They do not have a release date yet, but maybe as soon as two weeks. He said what needs to happen is: 1) Technical gets the update to work on their network; 2) Technical notifies Marketing who comes up with a plan to communicate the rollout; 3) Marketing notifies Legal of their plan who has to approve it; 4) an announcement will be made in social media, etc.

I told him I would wait 2-3 weeks to see what happens. After that my claim still holds and we try to negotiate a settlement. After 30 days I can file a formal request for arbitration. Then it would be up to a third party to decide. Stay tuned.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
After mailing AT&T notice of my intent to submit a claim for binding arbitration I got a phone call today from Executive Appeals. He claimed that they do in fact intend to release Denim for their 830, but have had technical difficulties because their 830 is different from other models (which is true). They do not have a release date yet, but maybe as soon as two weeks. He said what needs to happen is: 1) Technical gets the update to work on their network; 2) Technical notifies Marketing who comes up with a plan to communicate the rollout; 3) Marketing notifies Legal of their plan who has to approve it; 4) an announcement will be made in social media, etc.

I told him I would wait 2-3 weeks to see what happens. After that my claim still holds and we try to negotiate a settlement. After 30 days I can file a formal request for arbitration. Then it would be up to a third party to decide. Stay tuned.

Not sure about the timeframe (2-3 weeks seems iffy at best) but everything else sounds SIGNIFICANTLY better compared to all the other excuses provided by the BBB.

From "we decided not to release it" to "microsoft hasn't sent it to us" to "want a 640 instead?" to "just wait for us to say something on social media" to "it has denim, but the update you need is this 100k update from early june (random reboot fix)" AT&T's BBB reps are just a waste of air.

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
arg, just started a restore :( and skipped the wifi portion, so it's doing it on 4g :( maybe I'll try again later tonight.

Update: that seemed to do it.on update 2, which doesn't mean a whole lot, besides "feeling" a bit smoother. same issue on netflix, and i am sure bluetooth will still be just as lovely :)
you're welcome

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

To me this just sounds more like "we are still working on it". The rest of the information is standard operating procedure. I only believe this if I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ykion