#Whenonwindows

Ntois

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Well, I am tired with microsoft making jokes to Apple products and saying how better Microsoft products are and at the same time Microsoft updates first android and Ios apps and windows10mobile left behind.
Today I read ''Microsoft announces an improved Outlook Calendar for Android and iOS''. Where is windows10mobile and why the come third, if they come eventually.

So there is a new trend called #Whenonwindows on twitter. Ask them #whenonwindows and lets see what we can accomplise.

Other examples
Linkedin,
Especially Linkedin, I bought a 950 last month because I thought it was dedicated to business and productivity and I cant understand why an app microsoft owns and its dedicated to business doesnt update. So much hypocricy. After my Lumia 950 dies if microsoft doesnt change policy I will buy an android and I will honestly boycot their apps.

Also,OneNote has less features and is much slower in a windows phone!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I am tired with microsoft making jokes to Apple products and saying how better Microsoft products are and at the same time Microsoft updates first android and Ios apps and windows10mobile left behind.
Today I read ''Microsoft announces an improved Outlook Calendar for Android and iOS''. Where is windows10mobile and why the come third, if they come eventually.

So there is a new trend called #Whenonwindows on twitter. Ask them #whenonwindows and lets see what we can accomplise.

Other examples
Linkedin,
Especially Linkedin, I bought a 950 last month because I thought it was dedicated to business and productivity and I cant understand why an app microsoft owns and its dedicated to business doesnt update. So much hypocricy. After my Lumia 950 dies if microsoft doesnt change policy I will buy an android and I will honestly boycot their apps.

Because there are different dev teams . The same team who works on the IOS/Android apps don't work on the windows 10 mobile apps.

Also... Microsoft is a business that wants people to use their service.... That alone should answer your question.

Ntois

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Well microsoft is a billion dolar company-business and can prioritize tasks and hire developers where they need them. If they wanted windows10mobile to succeed and people to trust them they should develop their apps in their os first or at least all os together. Or if they didnt want to keep their apps up to date they should inform people that their mobile os is a beta and it is at second priority to them. How other developers will build apps if even microsoft doesnt update her own apps in her own os. Google doesnt do that, apple doesnt do that, they build their apps in their os first.
Look at linkedin its a mess. When it was the last time they updated the ui? In addition to that, what about the adds they make ''fun'' to apple, well apple boys have better faster and up to date microsoft apps than us. Cant you see that there is something wrong and unfair in their policy?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Because there are different dev teams . The same team who works on the IOS/Android apps don't work on the windows 10 mobile apps..

this^

and it can literally mean the team working on w10m apps have its hands tied because the platform isnt ready for what the teams on ios and android can do TODAY, or they are probably told to wait for X api or feature because you know, its always changing bro, change is good, see our results to get an idea of how good that constant change is, marvelous isnt it?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well microsoft is a billion dolar company-business and can prioritize tasks and hire developers where they need them. If they wanted windows10mobile to succeed and people to trust them they should develop their apps in their os first or at least all os together. Or if they didnt want to keep their apps up to date they should inform people that their mobile os is a beta and it is at second priority to them. How other developers will build apps if even microsoft doesnt update her own apps in her own os. Google doesnt do that, apple doesnt do that, they build their apps in their os first.
Look at linkedin its a mess. When it was the last time they updated the ui? In addition to that, what about the adds they make ''fun'' to apple, well apple boys have better faster and up to date microsoft apps than us. Cant you see that there is something wrong and unfair in their policy?

That's the thing. Microsoft is much MUCH bigger than Windows 10 mobile.

Windows 10mobile can stop working in the morning and Microsoft is not going to suffer.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
So does that mean iOS and Android are just that much easier/faster to develop for?

dont know about "easier" but more convenient sure seems like it

who knows maybe the wp dev teams are so reduced right now that they can barely make an app a year, one thing is for sure, if there was cash flowing through that "team" we sure as hell would be seeing things happen here and there

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Because there are different dev teams . The same team who works on the IOS/Android apps don't work on the windows 10 mobile apps.

Also... Microsoft is a business that wants people to use their service.... That alone should answer your question.

It's not just money. It's sad but a lot of people hate on MS for no reason. People hate on windows phone without ever trying it. MS needs to create a better perception of themselves on the popular platforms and get people to associate quality with Microsoft. It's a hard pill to swallow but it's just the way it is.

As far as windows mobile goes they obviously have plans since their focus is not on it. Some prerequisites may have to be met before they can even create better experiences. So a lot is depending on the fact that they are still building out the OS. The devs working on ios/android already have a perfect foundation to work with.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
windows phone is is on the sidelines , many apps by major devs are exclusively only on iOS or android. gameloft recently lauched Gangstar Vegas for ios and android but for windows phone no dates yet. coming soon!+ i believe windows has the rep of apps been abandoned by devs.

vezycash

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Especially Linkedin, I bought a 950 last month ...and I cant understand why an app microsoft owns...

Microsoft technically doesn't own Linkedin - yet. Until some jobless people approve it.

At this point, my advice is - if you really, really need apps, buy android.

WP has its sweet moment, I can't stand IOS, can't understand Android but these days using WP is like living in a corrupt poor country during a recession.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

I think everyone is now tired of these excuses. When Microsoft was releasing apps for iOS and Android before Windows Phone 8.1 the reason given was that Microsoft is focusing on Windows 10 Mobile and that apps would have feature parity when Windows 10 Mobile releases. Now we have another excuse for why that is still not the case.

Of course the answer to when on Windows is as usual 'Coming Soon'.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Other examples
Linkedin,

I think everyone is now tired of these excuses. When Microsoft was releasing apps for iOS and Android before Windows Phone 8.1 the reason given was that Microsoft is focusing on Windows 10 Mobile and that apps would have feature parity when Windows 10 Mobile releases. Now we have another excuse for why that is still not the case.

Of course the answer to when on Windows is as usual 'Coming Soon'.

the question I keep asking is what features are better on android and ios than on windows 10? To say that the calendar app app is better on ios than on windows means what? Does the ios app have more features than the windows 10 version? And I'm talking about windows 10 and not just mobile, both pc and mobile

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
dont know about "easier" but more convenient sure seems like it

who knows maybe the wp dev teams are so reduced right now that they can barely make an app a year, one thing is for sure, if there was cash flowing through that "team" we sure as hell would be seeing things happen here and there

is there a team still for windows mobile? I thought they only have app developers for windows 10 which encompasses all devices including pc and mobile

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It's not just money. It's sad but a lot of people hate on MS for no reason. People hate on windows phone without ever trying it. MS needs to create a better perception of themselves on the popular platforms and get people to associate quality with Microsoft. It's a hard pill to swallow but it's just the way it is.

As far as windows mobile goes they obviously have plans since their focus is not on it. Some prerequisites may have to be met before they can even create better experiences. So a lot is depending on the fact that they are still building out the OS. The devs working on ios/android already have a perfect foundation to work with.

I've made Perception bold in your post because that is the key here - Perception .
Microsoft does not get that at all, if they did we would have seen them stay to true their mantra as "windows best" and not "windows last" thus more resources allocated to mobility. "best and last" are not synonymous in the consumer mindset - "First and Best" is.

People see Microsoft updating ios and android apps before their own platform... even developing their own launcher. When the average joe see a company name - they see the company name not the dozens of teams that make up the company.

They don't see the long view and Microsoft is not helping themselves either as Windows As A service is not appropriate for consumer phones. Keep the WaaS updates for those in the insider ring. The average joe buys a flagship phone expecting it to just work, If the average joe bought the galaxy s7 edge for instance he/she would expect to see no black screens when switching apps or be expected to sit and update the phone for a few hours before they can even use it.

Furthermore they can't keep "building the o/s" indefinitely WM 6.x -> Wp7.x -> Wp8.x ->WM10.x . As you can see WM10.x will be their fourth attempt in "rebuilding the o/s". There is a reason why Apple and Google haven't automatically enrolled every consumer phone into a Update-as-a-service model. You lose a lot of trust in a short space of time and that is especially important in the flagship tier since that is where the money is.

Thus right now WM10.x is perceived as a bug ridden mess with UX elements that make no logical sense whatsoever from mobile usage stand point. Sure it is much better than what it was before however as they say first impressions is what counts (Perception).

Sure right now in the background Microsoft is doing alot to promote cross platform development but in the foreground... there isn't much for the average joe to go on.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
For those that have been or around sales may remember that during the 70's, 80's and 90's the key thing harped on was selling "Features & Benefits". You were taught to point out the features you had and the benefits of such features as they compared to your competition.

Finally the tide turned to a more sensible sales approach: Solution selling. Sure the features were important and the benefits were still there but the thought process was changing to what is your need and what solution you could provide,

I see MS caught in the middle of this transition. Sure more apps would be good to have but point out what you have and a offer a solution to the customer. Having the Surface PC's is like having one leg in a butt kicking contest. Nice features and nice benefits but no problem solution. MS must understand that having the WPhone would be like having both arms and legs to make solution solving much easier. If not, the you will see what is happening to the Windows Phones from MS (mostly the future looks to be from OEM's and not MS). The MS hardware will even more fall by the wayside and only software being available from MS. Again, to me without both sides of the hardware solution, you are back to the one legged butt kicking contest. No chance to survive.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I've made Perception bold in your post because that is the key here - Perception .
Microsoft does not get that at all, if they did we would have seen them stay to true their mantra as "windows best" and not "windows last" thus more resources allocated to mobility. "best and last" are not synonymous in the consumer mindset - "First and Best" is.

People see Microsoft updating ios and android apps before their own platform... even developing their own launcher. When the average joe see a company name - they see the company name not the dozens of teams that make up the company.

They don't see the long view and Microsoft is not helping themselves either as Windows As A service is not appropriate for consumer phones. Keep the WaaS updates for those in the insider ring. The average joe buys a flagship phone expecting it to just work, If the average joe bought the galaxy s7 edge for instance he/she would expect to see no black screens when switching apps or be expected to sit and update the phone for a few hours before they can even use it.

Furthermore they can't keep "building the o/s" indefinitely WM 6.x -> Wp7.x -> Wp8.x ->WM10.x . As you can see WM10.x will be their fourth attempt in "rebuilding the o/s". There is a reason why Apple and Google haven't automatically enrolled every consumer phone into a Update-as-a-service model. You lose a lot of trust in a short space of time and that is especially important in the flagship tier since that is where the money is.

Thus right now WM10.x is perceived as a bug ridden mess with UX elements that make no logical sense whatsoever from mobile usage stand point. Sure it is much better than what it was before however as they say first impressions is what counts (Perception).

Sure right now in the background Microsoft is doing alot to promote cross platform development but in the foreground... there isn't much for the average joe to go on.

Maybe Microsoft wants windows phone to be forgotten and let windows phone die in the press. If you're injured, people keep talking about how injured you are. They keep talking about how you're trying to get up but keep falling. But if you're dead they forget about you and move on. Then it's more of a surprise when you come back to life. You let your mistakes die off and come back as the new you. The one with a better outlook, all healed and ready to get the world. There's some value in being able to put on a new suit on away from prying eyes. When you want to do something surprising you want to keep things secret and you want people to think you stopped trying.

I'm not saying this is the case, but that's the only thing I could think of.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
For those that have been or around sales may remember that during the 70's, 80's and 90's the key thing harped on was selling "Features & Benefits". You were taught to point out the features you had and the benefits of such features as they compared to your competition.

Finally the tide turned to a more sensible sales approach: Solution selling. Sure the features were important and the benefits were still there but the thought process was changing to what is your need and what solution you could provide,

I see MS caught in the middle of this transition. Sure more apps would be good to have but point out what you have and a offer a solution to the customer. Having the Surface PC's is like having one leg in a butt kicking contest. Nice features and nice benefits but no problem solution. MS must understand that having the WPhone would be like having both arms and legs to make solution solving much easier. If not, the you will see what is happening to the Windows Phones from MS (mostly the future looks to be from OEM's and not MS). The MS hardware will even more fall by the wayside and only software being available from MS. Again, to me without both sides of the hardware solution, you are back to the one legged butt kicking contest. No chance to survive.

Three words: Unique Selling Points.

Yes we for a product to make viable sense it needs to be a "solution" to a "problem" but that only gets you so far. You need unique selling points to seal the deal. As it stands the only thing Unique about Windows Mobile is the home screen. Rooms was amazing, it baffles me that they didn't take rooms and make that into a service which encompassed Lync, Skype for Buisness and GroupMe. For instance it tied into Messenger so we could use Messenger on the PC and our windows phones whilst on the go. We could share documents, granted notes was hit and miss as you had to have onenote installed as messenger didn't have a dedicated function for notes. If my team was stuck in traffic, they could immediately send their location and lo and behold everyone knows how long it will take together -> besting glympse.

Rooms was THE most under rated feature ever.

Maybe Microsoft wants windows phone to be forgotten and let windows phone die in the press. If you're injured, people keep talking about how injured you are. They keep talking about how you're trying to get up but keep falling. But if you're dead they forget about you and move on. Then it's more of a surprise when you come back to life. You let your mistakes die off and come back as the new you. The one with a better outlook, all healed and ready to get the world. There's some value in being able to put on a new suit on away from prying eyes. When you want to do something surprising you want to keep things secret and you want people to think you stopped trying.

Well... we'll have to wait and see what appears out of the cocoon.. :winktongue:

417px-Heimlich-_Butterfly_.jpg

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

looks like a valid analogy - well thought :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb