Why buy a Lumia 830 when you can buy a Moto X 1st gen. for much cheaper?

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
We're all here because we like (some love) the Windows Phone OS, but Android has made significant strides addressing the lag and stuttering problems with their OS. I know they have because I've actually used 4.4 on a Moto G. You get quality apps, and a lot of them. Windows Phone is just now reaching parity with Android and iOS after 4 years, the app store is an embarrassment, the apps are an embarrassment, and some of us (Verizon owners) are treated as if we're red headed step children. I'm just not seeing the point of sticking with Microsoft, anymore, and I'm definitely not paying over $400 for a mid range Windows Phone when I can get a fully supported upper midrange phone that stomps the Lumia for $260 on Amazon. Or the same phone (Moto G) for $180. There's no comparison. Microsoft is going to have to cut the price of the 830 to $250-300, and the 730 to $200 to gain any traction.

Moto X 1st gen review here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJTlB_S7ct0

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
What if the point is that you just enjoy using Windows phone more than Android :gasp:😱? Android is a fine OS and the new low end phones coming out from certain OEMs are good. My experience with Android is that I just didn't really like how it looked. I thought Windows phone has a more elegant design, albeit not always more functional. So idk what to tell you brah. If you want to use Android then by all means do that, but I think that people will genuinely be attracted to Windows 10. Honestly, that whole every other release of windows sucking has kind of been true... So I guess Windows 10 is going to be freaking awesome, or a monumental let down who really knows these things are difficult to predict.

WPRaptor1

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Personally I've been trying to decide which of these phones should I buy for a month now.

In my country the Lumia 735 costs 240 euros, the Lumia 830 costs 300 euros and the Moto X 250 euros.

I know that windows have no lag but so does the Moto X. Actually it's one of the few android devices that have almost no lag at all, are compact, have great battery life and good build and call quality. Motorola has also announced that it will get lollipop. But there are 2 problems for me. Camera(it's no Lumia) and processor (dual core).

In the end I believe I have to choose whether I'll keep using Windows or not.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Lumia cameras are definitely the best compared to Android. At the end of the day it's a personal choice.

I love my phone. 920. Still great and getting the latest updates 2 years old.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I love my 822, and would keep loving it if Verizon would give me Cyan and an official 8.1 update. It looks like that isn't going to happen.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
When I was selling my L1020 to go to Android (in the time between WP8.1 and Windows 10), Moto X was my #1 phone of choice mainly because its vanilla Android running some major application features added by Motorola. Alas, I could not find a good condition one in my area so I ended up getting the Nexus 5 instead.

With that said, I did a TON of investigating and the one area that would suffer on Moto X is the camera. This is not from personal experience, this is from the tons of reviews I read (including post updates to the software) and forums. Otherwise, everything else is exceptional from what I understand. Coming from a L1020 and L920, the Nexus 5 camera is not half as bad as the feedback on forums...but then again im not a professional photographer. The shots come out great for viewing on my 50" TV, super clear and sharp shots. I am very happy with the camera Ive got on my N5.

I can tell you Android 4.4.4 is evolution BETTER than 4.0 was, I left Android because 4.0 was horrendous (GS3). Coming back, and using stock Android is the best decision I made. My N5 is lighting fast, much faster than my L1020 running WP8.1 Cyan...I am actually shocked by how great KitKat is, and im super excited for Lollipop.

Is Android better than WP? Im not saying that, but for my current needs Android outweighs WP by a long shot. I am not telling you to go ahead with Android but giving you a little more confidence to consider it as a good contender, keep looking at your options. "But Google mines all our data!!!!", Oh please much like the options available in Apple/Windows phones Google offers the user to dispose of whatever info they want...thats an old stale argument that according to me no longer applies.

I had a chance to quickly hold an 830 and its a beautiful device, nicely designed. But my problem isnt the hardware, its the software and im eagerly waiting for Windows 10 mobile.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
because sd card slot,awesome suite of MS and Nokia exclusive apps,excellent battery life,million times better camera especially in low light,guarenteed updates(moto x1 is old now who knows how long itll get support)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss