Why did I roll back from W10 10149 to WP8.1

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Then people still have a choice wether to install the build, right? They just need to read very carefully what the article states. They suggested it could be a viable upgrade for everyday usage, but they never said it was. They even warned us at the start or the article with:

Having said all of that, yeah, I do think this release, for the most part, is fine to use. This advice assumes you are okay with occasional bugs, glitches, or parts not working fully.
For me, it is running very well on my Lumia 1520. However, I have not tried it on every device out there

So, I wouldn't call it a click-bait article. It's just Daniel sharing his thoughts on the build, and yes - he's hyping us a bit to try the build, but the problem like a5cent highlighted is that people tend to read "this build is fine for everyday use.", because thats what they wish it to be after builds like 10080 that were almost unusable.

This build is a disaster on my 830 but works good enough on my M8 to be used as a daily driver. In all fairness, it all boils down to people being impatient and expecting stuff to work once it gets released. I'm not sure how much more you can try to protect or inform people that don't even bother to read the warning signs and then get upset stuff doesn't work or forces them to roll back.

All in all, this build - while buggy - is a relief compared to say, build 10080. I can't wait for the next one to see how battery life will be for example. But thats my only real issue here. I can cope with some of the live tiles not refreshing.

We are discussing about masses right? If on a site that always passed messages like "you'd better not install this" you see an article form the main editor stating "that it could be worth installing IN HIS OPINION" the message that gets through is misleading. That's all that I'm saying, nobody is dying but for each person that like me reads the article and then searches thorugh the web for other opinions there are 100 people that will go and install W10 and then go around the web saying W10 is bad... not a great result. Then again, who cares...just saying!

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Unlike many of you who chose to install 10149 on their phones, I didn't.
I've never been a member of Windows Insider yet 930 installed what I thought was the Random Reboots update. I come back an hour later and it's running W10 Preview. I've never even installed the Insider app on my 930. (I was running it on my 530, however that phone no longer supported by MS.)

Considering how many issues this build is supposed to have, it imported my boatload of SMS history, all my apps and my ton of music and photos without a hitch. Which is impressive considering how easily other peoples builds have struggled. I like where they're going and I haven't had any huge problems. so far thankfully. The builds will only improve from here on.

i'm probably going to have to stay with this insider build until the full release comes out. I don't want to re-sync my content, and i'm 90% certain that onedrive backup doesn't actually work yet.

I wish Microsoft would support 4GB Storage windows phones (Lumia 530, HTC 8S.) with the insider builds. There just isn't enough free space to install a preview build anymore.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Heya,
I got L930 and I was keen on trying the new W10 and build 10149 seemed the most stable after reviews I read so I thought to myself I should give it a go but boy I was wrong. Yes there were ALOT of good things like start screen, new animations, Edge browser(which btw is amazing), options and whooole lot of other things but the things that made me go back were lag. Lag, slow opening times, loading times, resuming, gaming was possible but in places where there were no lags for WP8.1 it was nearly impossible to play on W10. I know it's only technical prev. I'm here to tell people who want to update that they shouldn't. Maybe wait for other builds, wait for 2 more or maybe 3 more updates for W10 software. I did enjoy it but for daily driver you just shouldn't. Sure you can try but if your are ready for the pain to roll back to WP8.1 and losing all of your data that couldn't been backed up go ahead. Anyway I was happy to try it and will wait for ther builds.

How long did you have it for? Because you're supposed to wait a few days for everything to settle down. Just FYI.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The key for success in 10149 build is to clean install the OS without backing up anything. I have a 1520 and not major issues here. It's even better than 8.1

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I finally went for it* with 10149 and I really like it, and so does my Lumia 920. As earlier pointed out, W10M works MUCH better after you hard reset with W10 installed. I did this, and it works surprisingly smoothly given I'm using a 2? year old phone that's seen its best days. I don't see myself rolling back to W8.1 unless something major comes up. Yes, I experience bugs, but nothing that really breaks the deal. For example, I can't change my Start screen picture, Skype won't install no matter what (even after hard reset) and Quiet Hours keeps blinking, but apart from that I mainly see cosmetic bugs here and there. Eagerly waiting for the next build now (which also hopefully brings back Touch, so I can disable the darn tap-to-wake).

*After reading the article telling you you might be able to finally use it as daily driver. I found it helpful and I intend to stick with using these previews from now on. Each to his own.

vqmonstar

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Where do I start the build has nice things but worst than last build calls didn't work edge doesn't show the progress bar of pages loading, the message app was slow and didn't notify me or ring when I got sms, and when I did and opened the notification remained there until I swiped it away even though I read the message already that super annoying. Also mobile hotspot get an error saying I don't have data.. come I'm on unlimited. Apps would randomly close when you pressed delete key on keyboard figured that out through testing. It felt like being confined a fish tank and windows 8.1 was a unrestricted ocean. I love my windows 8.1 and 10 will be fine once they send out better builds.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
All I have to say to this is that Microsoft has put forth an incredible amount of effort in making sure people understand just how dangerous it is to install Insider builds on your phone.

I mean, all you have to do is look at how difficult it is to get the damn thing on your phone to begin with. I'm on like... my 10th try? Phone's sitting in the freezer right now... Yeah... I said that...

RaviKrohilla

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I Installed it on My Lumia 930. I had a really bad Experience with this build.
The problems started with the update downloading, It took me almost 30 continuous hours to download the update. even though i have a decent internet connection and it never happened before with any update or any thing else i ever downloaded.

Then after installing the update. The preparation time was too much (where the phones restores your contacts and other data in 20 steps)

After that when every thing was done i locked my phone and kept it aside as it was too hot after all this processing. after some time i tried opening it but the lock won't open. The lock screen was stuck it was not sliding up and the notification bar was also not sliding down, So i had to restart the phone after which i opened the lock successfully.

Now another wave of bugs started. There was no Peoples App, No contact lists. No camera application and noting for Music and Video(Film &TV). Suddenly the phone asked for a restart. after that restart my dialer was gone notification center was gone . I was Disappointed, I did a phone reset and earthing was back to normal I had every needed application like peoples and contacts Music and all.

After that I thought tried downloading other applications Like Whatsapp, Games and Tools. But the store won't open (Store Beta) the phone restarted every time i tried opening the Store App. after 3 restarts it opened. and i downloaded all the apps successfully. Now everything was smooth (Almost). But i could not set a Lock-screen password (PIN). But that was not a major issue. The Xbox app was not working at any tim and still not working.

The camera app was working just fine for Photos, But Video was not working it was stuck whenevr i tried recording video it was stuck at the initial time ( 00.00). and the phone locked after the given 1 minute.

Another thing that happened to me was My quick action in notification center were flashing like it was Christmas. The were actually flashing in a Sync. and that sync was changing time to time . after 5 hours of flashing i restarted my phone(There was no major battery consumption).

after 12 hours of installing and doing everything. The phone started downloading updates for internal applications(Extra + info, Device hub, Camera and other stuff) total 46 applications (Some were repeated).

Another thing which does not have to do with functionality. I could not set Lock screen wallpaper, and the start Background was low resolution it was highly pixelated. i tried using a high quality image but it did not work even after resetting the phone it did not wok.

This was my experience with build 10149. This was my first insider preview experience and i was impressed by windows 10. but i really need Video recording and Lock-screen password.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I Installed it on My Lumia 930. I had a really bad Experience with this build.
The problems started with the update downloading, It took me almost 30 continuous hours to download the update. even though i have a decent internet

Wow... Sorry to hear that. Works very well on 830, it's the first time I didn't need to hard reset my phone and I could keep my apps where they was.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Smart move.

it doesn't matter ho many coolnew featues it has. If you cant do the simple, day-to-day things is a waist of time and an unnecessary source of frustration.

​i was on 10080 for week and it wws torture We'll let the more patient, less demandng folks do the alpha (it is an alpha at this stage) testing.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
People still do not yet grasp the idea of the TP.

You do not wait for a good build to jump on..... what help does that do? reviewing nearly finished product?

You should jump in on the program, and try to give as much feedback as you can in order for us to reach a nearly finished product more quickly.

Two different paradigms

dda_k

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
People still do not yet grasp the idea of the TP.

You do not wait for a good build to jump on..... what help does that do? reviewing nearly finished product?

You should jump in on the program, and try to give as much feedback as you can in order for us to reach a nearly finished product more quickly.

Two different paradigms

While using this build I did actually send reviews to Mcsoft.

sguy156

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I did provide feedback on what's needed to improve but will roll back to 8.1 , high battery drain is making 1520 die in few hours

joao91

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I have installed build 10149 and I am not rolling back. It is working very well on my 830, no substantial problems besides not being able to maintain a Bluetooth connection, which only affects me in not being able to pair with my car, but I can always use the auxiliary cable. Everything else works just fine for my daily use. Obviously there are a few bugs and glitches here and there but nothing serious.

And I didn't do a clean install, no soft reset, no hard reset.

Last edited:

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Build is all good say best than the previous build but I have one problem whenever my phone is not connected to Wifi it automatically starts downloading data via mobile data even when data toggle is off, when i try to visit a page for example when wifi is off and mobile data toggle too page doesnt load. But I can see that arrow thing over my cellular signal which says that data is being used and I get charged too for using cellular data. This is ridiculous.

atherosxd

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I only experience Lag on my 1020 if I just upgraded and no reset. Hard reset fixes it for me. faster app loading. less resuming on some apps which isn't updated yet. haven't tried gaming yet.busy on work.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I only experience Lag on my 1020 if I just upgraded and no reset. Hard reset fixes it for me. faster app loading. less resuming on some apps which isn't updated yet. haven't tried gaming yet.busy on work.

Same here. Very little lag on my 1020. It still lags at times but not nearly as bad as it was.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria