Why did I roll back from W10 10149 to WP8.1

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had 10136 for 4 hours on my 930. 10149 for 15 hours.
We all know that 930s battery isn't the best, but it's acceptable on WP 8.1. I've had huge issues with overheating on 10136... However it was *mostly* fine on 1049, but still phone was heating more than on 8.1 (even while performing such a basic tasks as web browsing or apps downloading) and battery life wasn't good at all.

If Microsoft wants us to help them test Windows 10 Mobile, they should improve battery usage and fix heating issues.

Probably battery life is even worse due to built-in feedback tools that actively collect data & send detailed logs to MS...

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I tried on a 530... about a month or more ago if I remember correctly but because of the measly 4GB of onboard storage I couldn't install subsequent updates. After rolling back to 8.1 I wasn't even able to attempt a newer build because again insufficient storage. a 1020 is my daily driver and has been for basically 3 years now. To be honest, it is feeling long in tooth. Web browsing is always slow (especially on windowscentral.com) general phone navigation is okay but the biggest killer is cortana just stops working unless I reboot because she isnt talking to the internet. Even when I have 4g and a wifi router 10 feet away. What makes it even more frustrating is cortana isn't supposed to need internet for remind me commands.

I have been thrilled to use the insider preview on my desktop since day 1, not as thrilled on my surface pro (but providing as much feedback as I can, 10158 fixed some problems). As much as I want to provide feedback on the phone side as well, I feel like the 1020 wouldn't have the horsepower, and more importantly, I the patience.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
To be honest the insider programme maybe was not for you. This build is pretty damn good in comparison to anything that has gone before it and I am using it for my daily needs without to much thought.

That is not to say its perfect because its not and nor am I expecting it to be. I am however expecting it to get increasingly better and I see that with a number of the Apps and future builds will build on the improvements in the latest release.

I would point out that it overheats at times, best to power off and on the moment you become aware of this. It also randomly reboots (this is my most serious issue) typically every other day but it has rebooted multiple times in one day. One drive does not let me connect by 365 account to it but not a show stopper just annoying. Also a number of other niggles.

On the whole enjoying the experience and being at the forefront.

TsuChi

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Here is my experience with W10 Mobile 10149
I did backup
I upgraded my L925
Initial impressions were positive :
  • start screen
  • new outlook
  • new keyboard
but then I started to notice drawbacks
  • huge battery drain
  • people tile without animations (I really like this feature of 8.1)
  • lagging, a lot of lagging
so I rolled back to 8.1 and ...
to my suprise not everything went smooth
I got a message that not everything could be restored!!!
It turned out that my initial (manual) backup was overwritten by W10 automatic backup!
I even went to see it on onedrive and there were no copy of my backup - maybe I do not know something but I am 99% sure there were no manual backup which I did when I was preparing for an upgrade.

So I am now on 8.1 and I am happy with it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ I was wondering if anyone's tried that out. 😒

8.1 and W10M backups being incompatible while the former are overwritten would be a tough bug to swallow.

I deactivated backups during the W10M installation, and I'm not willing to test that. Can anyone else confirm this? If reproducible that's definitely something MS should hear about ASAP.

Abb4d0n

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I installed the build on my Lumia 920 because I've read the good feedback from other users.

The installation (from preparing the update to lockscreen) took over one and a half hours.
Afterwards I was supposed to enter my SIM pin, but the keyboard wasn't displayed completely. Many digits were missing.
When moving the lockscreen, the display was flickering, also when pulling down the notification center, which was almost transparent.

These screenshots show the UI with notification center pulled down (sorry, can't post direct links):
imgur(dot)com/lC8A7FL
imgur(dot)com/veEys2B

I did a hard reset on WP 8.1 and then did the upgrade without restoring a backup. A hardreset didn't fix my problems.
Then I used the recovery tool to go back to 8.1 and tried the WM10 build again, but without luck.

Maybe I'll try the next build.

Yugiro

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The Build 10149 that I installed in my Lumia 930 is now my daily driver. I've had Technical Preview before that I installed on my Lumia 630 and that was really pain in the **** because of lags and resuming..... issues. However, I guess that made me stick to this build on my Lumia 930. Yes there is lags sometimes but not as painful as was my Lumia 630 with older build. Most of the apps that I am using everyday is working properly plus I get to use new feature such as the "roll down" page to use your one hand comfortably. The I guess @dda_k used the Technical Preview for the first time so he has no idea what to expect from a preview build. If he has used the older build, then he knows this one is huge leap towards the final version.

1MiNo2

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I am also rolling back esp. because of fast battery drain. I fully charged my Lumia at 23.00 p.m and in the morning the next day I had only 70% battery left. (My Lumia 820 spent 30% of battery over the night, in stand by mode, lol.) and around 4 p.m I had to charge my Lumia again. That s really bad for daily use. I will wait a little bit and I will try to install Win 10 mobile again

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 1020 on 10149: The one issue that really bugs me is when I'm using Skype voice or Skype Video Chat, the phone just restart by itself. It's actually the only deal breaker but it's Skype is so essential to me. I'm really torn since everything else is working fine.

I hope they can address this issue, it's a critical one!

Mike Dimmick

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
After rebooting my Lumia 830 about an hour ago, the Start screen layout reverted back to my WP8.1 layout. I'd pinned Outlook Mail to replace the Mail tiles that hadn't appeared after the upgrade, pinned Edge in place of IE, pinned Outlook Calendar in place of the old calendar, etc. All those disappeared, but somehow the Office Hub icon came back. I looked in All Apps and realised that all Universal Windows Platform apps were missing. Unfortunately that includes Settings!

I tried a push-button reset - as described at Resetting your Windows Phone 8.1 - but that just left it in a loop of the spinning gears animation followed by a sadface, reboot and repeat. So I'm reloading WP8.1.2.

Mark Richey

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I finally got it running well on my 920, but when I thought it might be stable enough for my 930, I would up with a huge surprise. Difficulties, so I rolled back, but decided to throw my sim into the 920 for a day living in the fast lane. Did not work as I was hoping. My biggest issue is the build has terrible problems with battery life. My Lumia's have always lasted the day with no problem, but I would leave the 920 on the charger, either wireless or usb, and even after over night it registered less than 80%. Another time, it registered dangerously low, but a restart showed at 100%, then critically low within 3-4 hours. Also, the heating problem. The 920 got to the point where it was painful to even hold.

Now, I will follow up with the next builds and see what is up. The 930 is humming right along on 8.1 Denim, but has not yet scored the update 2 it received earlier. This is likely because I have not reinstalled the Insider app. I'll the the 920 be the guinea pig this next round and then decide from there which build might merit adding to the 930.

Mark Richey

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
As for what I like/dislike in the build so far?
Maps - in Japan Here Maps are worthless. The Windows 10 Maps are great comparatively
Music - Music and video will be worth the wait
Settings
small things, Like the tiny arrow that shows you how to collapse a folder
Pressing and holding on WiFi and Bluetooth takes you to the config page, whereas just tapping toggles on/off

DISLIKES
Some tasks seem quite slow, especially the Store experience
Photos App no longer a nice hub, but just access to folders. Just the same, fast.
SIM/Cellular - I struggled a bit with the APN I have to add manually. Didn't seem to take for the longest time. I expect it to improve.

Psicomartin

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I (recently) changed my L1520 to a HTC One M8 from VRZ running W8.1 GDR2 and it was very good. I tried the tech prev on the lumia (around March) and I had a traumatic experience by doing it, so I rolled back. This time I was very tempted to try the last prev due to the good feedback, nevertheless I decided to wait for the next build.
When the latest build was released, I did a leap of faith and install it on my device, and the transition was not pleasant, most of my apps didn't work, frequent crashes, issued with my in-app purchases, etc., so the question was... Should I roll back? I decided to give it a twist and did the unexpected.
I factory reset the phone and did not install any of my backups in OneDrive, it was a fresh start like W10 was always there and VOIL? everything is working pretty decent: Apps, downloads, scrollling, web surfing, etc. Sure it still has a couple of glitched here and there (for example some of the music I downloaded previously with xbox music doesn't play, apps, aren't opening at 1st attempt, even if you setup outlook, to notify you when new email arrives, it does not happen, but most of those glitches go away when you turn off the phone and press the power button again (except for the music issue).
Everybody knows this is (still) a TechPrev and it should not be on your main device, but many of you are like me and don't follow this rule. If you wanna have a gentle experience with these build I STRONGLY recommend to do a factory reset after upgrading and perform a fresh start, if you wanna use it as a daily driver.

That's all, thanks and have a great rest of the day!!!

Roger Small1

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
+to get the phone history back simply unpin the phone app from the start screen then go to the app and hit 'pin to start' and voila, it's all there.

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I am a Lumia 930 user. I myself had a smooth experience but I had issues with Message receiving (Microsoft already warned about this). This is the only reason, I rolled back. I absolutely love windows 10 features so far. UI sucks really hard though.

Victor van Hillo

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
My experience on a L1520:

This is the first build that is quite usable but there are still a lot of issues need to be fixed.

- Battery drainage.
- Notifications not working reliable (more with Outlook then with WhatsApp).
- Action center screen can not be dragged down easily, with WP 8.1 this is really smooth. With 10 it needs some tries to get it down.
- Clicking on buttons from the action center seems to do nothing, for example clicking the Silent mode button does not do anything.
- Outlook is really any good, no unified inbox and cumbersome to switch different mail accounts.
- Pin a website to the home screen does not work correct. It opens Bing. Also no preview of the pinned website is showed. Can not completely scroll down the webpage because the address bar is over it.
- Can not play MP4 files. Edge says download failed every time or the Video app can not play MP4 files.
- Photos are not synchronized to OneDrive even when I enable it in the OneDrive app (from the beta store). Videos are not synchronized as well, I you check the box "Upload Videos" and leave an come back to that page again, it is disabled again.
- A lot of Apps won't start the firs time.

And I think there where some more :)

I reverted back to WP 8.1 and every thing was smooth again ;)

Leonardo Bastos

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Being honest I was satisfied with 10149 in my L930, for my surprise, everything was running smooth. But due the highly battery drain I had to go back to 8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital