Windows 10: 10-15 second pause before password/pin screen after wake from sleep

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I came in today to find that my machine had rebooted overnight. Since then, there is a 10-15 second pause between when I click on the lock screen and when the pin entry field shows up.

This happened a few months ago, and I ended up resetting Windows, which fixed it until today.

Any ideas what could be causing it?

(I just checked Event Viewer, and it looks like my system rebooted at 3:45 am for a service pack upgrade. KB4598242) Obviously the KB wasn't what caused it a few months ago, since this was just released yesterday, but definitely something triggered the slowness after the reboot.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I came in today to find that my machine had rebooted overnight. Since then, there is a 10-15 second pause between when I click on the lock screen and when the pin entry field shows up.

This happened a few months ago, and I ended up resetting Windows, which fixed it until today.

Any ideas what could be causing it?

(I just checked Event Viewer, and it looks like my system rebooted at 3:45 am for a service pack upgrade. KB4598242) Obviously the KB wasn't what caused it a few months ago, since this was just released yesterday, but definitely something triggered the slowness after the reboot.

Since it's been about 2 days, is the issue still re-curring?

If it is, I presume you checked resource monitor incase something is using up alot more resources then usual?

Try checking here if you haven't already.

Device health settings.PNG

Also I found on some devices, smart screen can cause slowness that maybe worth checking. I usually set it to only check store apps and not to screen anything else.

As I was checking, I just noticed core isolation was disabled... it's one of the first things I enable after every install.... so I have had to enable it again. Not happy.

Core Isolation check.PNG

Attachments

• Core Isolation.PNG
    Core Isolation.PNG
    123.2 KB · Views: 1
  • date tracking of core isolation.PNG
    date tracking of core isolation.PNG
    4.4 KB · Views: 7

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It is still happening today, after a few more cold boots. Device Performance and health report no problems, nor did a Windows defender scan, nor a Spybot S&D Scan.

Once I am able to log in, everything seems to run as normal, it's just a pause between clicking the lock screen and getting the password/PIN prompt.

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I think it might have to do with my old webcam, a MS LifeCam Studio. Fine for video chatting, but not for Windows Hello. It's possible there is something going on with that. I unplugged it and rebooted, and did not get the pause. Then plugged it in to a different and rebooted and still am not getting the pause. So it's a possible hint, but not a conclusive answer yet.

My power supply is also having some random failures where it will cut off power without warning if I move the case sometimes. Possible short or bad connection there. It did not happen during the reboot that started showing the problem, but it might also be related. New power supply is on the way.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
@noirsoft hmm... that's an odd one. Good to hear new PSU is on the way.

If plugging the webcam back into the same port causes the delay, it could be the port or the USB controller for that particular hub of ports. I'd be leaning towards the former.

If there is a short when the case moves then I suggest checking for a stray screw under the motherboard.

I presume you've already checked all the connections in the case?

Any GPU driver updates?

GPU - integrated or discrete?

Lastly, any dust build up?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb