Windows Phone's Future

EliaJada

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Am I the only one worried about Nokia's future ?
With the cancelation of Nokia X, Asha, and S40 phones
Along with the old Symbian Belle ones
Nokia is now Windows Phone, which was cool with me until all the revenge news of layoffs and cancelations (mixradio sellout, Lumia 1020 end life, McLaren canceled)
I've been a hardcore loyal fan for years now, but this is starting to make me question the future...

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The layoffs were more or less clear from the beginning when MS acquired Nokia, although I am pretty sure nobody thought of such a huge number of people being fired.

I too was rather surprised about the 1020 hitting production after just about a year of life. When taking another look at it, it doesn't seem too surprising: If one can trust the device statistics released for Windows Phone, the 1020 never has been a success in terms of sales. It's always only counted under "others" without even getting it's own little 4% or something. Just like the 808, the big Pureview Lumia was a marketing and brand awareness success in the first place. Microsoft/Nokia always made it into the press using that device, showing it off itself or by doing cool feature shots with it. MS still likes to show it off as of today yet why keep producing something which doesn't get bought?

The McLaren cancellation also looks strange to me, on the other hand so many big companies killed of non-official or in-development projects off for a large variety of reasons. I kind of refuse to think it is really *that* bad of a sign. I agree with the fact MS should have a new, real flagship ready for the holiday season, considering the 930 just being the global variant of the Icon running 8.1 preloaded. I also agree, with all the sensor and/or gimmicks madness going on in the smartphone world later this year, that they should include some gimmicks too besides just upping the display and internals.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
"Mobile first, cloud first"*

*But someone else's hardware. And don't expect the cloud service to be too hot either.

EliaJada

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
It's just that I had a Nokia N8 at first, when upgrading I was going for the Nokia 808 but then it was announced that Symbian Belle is discontinued. So I kept waiting for a while, was going to get the 920 but read some rumors about a 41 MegaPixel Windows Phone...Which payed off and I got my Lumia 1020

But now, after the hard time of trying to accept it's end life, I was thinking maybe the 3D Touch would be a nice upgrade
Now it's just that I don't know my future with phone it Microsoft's

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
But now, after the hard time of trying to accept it's end life, I was thinking maybe the 3D Touch would be a nice upgrade
Now it's just that I don't know my future with phone it Microsoft's

Your phone won't just stop working in October, MS will just stop producing further units and some sellers, especially carriers, will stop selling them.
You even will continue to get further updates.

Maitrikkataria

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Nokia is now Windows Phone, which was cool with me until all the revenge news of layoffs and cancelations (mixradio sellout, Lumia 1020 end life, McLaren canceled)
I've been a hardcore loyal fan for years now, but this is starting to make me question the future...

I think layoff's scare everyone, but just to be clear with big infrastructure of organizations, there are some visions that do not match with the next generation of decision makers. And infact, this is a sign that Microsoft is taking measures to improve everything. Microsoft is a $300+Billion dollar Enterprise and earn $2 Billion from Android, which means that the layoffs are not due to the revenue related issues, instead as a result of an initiative to remove those parts with high inertia that are taking this company down.

Recent releases like Cortana and Adam will change everything. Yesterday Microsoft revealed its plan for a single converged operating system. I think they are trying their best to match Apple this time, because we are hearing less words and more action on the stage.

Previously, with Steve Ballmer, I've had heard "Modern apps" quite a few times. And, I felt that words are cheap, Since there was nothing happening over the ground. I remember the time in 2007 when Ballmer laughed on the release of iPhone, and never realized that company was failing in multiple ways. He never tried to shape anything. While this time, they are continuously rolling out new technologies for app developers and end users. They are generating new partnerships with leading advertisers and IOT services providers.

With all these, you need not to worry about its future. I am sure we all are going to see the change happening soon. :smile:

Last edited:

assasinezio4

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
microsoft is too late for mobile..wp can't catch up ios or android with this app store.just a simple example.i can say 10 calendar apps which are every single really cool in ios or android app store.who can tell me not 10 5 calendar apps in wp store?

assasinezio4

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

just start using iOS or android..both of really advanced and operational os..

EliaJada

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't see iOS as an advanced OS
I can't see myself using, and regret ever owning an iPhone
Android is cool since I'm a fan of open source, however, I'm there kind of guy who uses his phone very quickly with gestures. And Android's lagging, even in the most powerful phones, just doesn't work out with me.
Windows Phone was the smoothest OS, which is why I need to continue for my own sake.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't see iOS as an advanced OS
I can't see myself using, and regret ever owning an iPhone
Android is cool since I'm a fan of open source, however, I'm there kind of guy who uses his phone very quickly with gestures. And Android's lagging, even in the most powerful phones, just doesn't work out with me.
Windows Phone was the smoothest OS, which is why I need to continue for my own sake.
Have you ever really tried BB10 on one of the later versions like 10.2 or better 10.2.1? I know BlackBerry most likely won't be releasing a new full-touch flagship this year, yet the OS itself is a real pleasure to use if you like swipe gestures. It's quite fast, smooth and efficient too.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Have you ever really tried BB10 on one of the later versions like 10.2 or better 10.2.1? I know BlackBerry most likely won't be releasing a new full-touch flagship this year, yet the OS itself is a real pleasure to use if you like swipe gestures. It's quite fast, smooth and efficient too.

I use BB10 and WP 8.1 interchangeably and can honestly say, I like both for different reasons.

EliaJada

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I've actually tried only an old blackberry phone, never tried the new ones at all.
But isn't the phone dying slowly? like the phone's quality and the App World aren't much to look forward to?

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Well Microsoft has not really been known for giving people what they want.They are sort of like EA in their attitude .They want people to suck up whatever they throw at us and expect to blindly purchase their products and services.There was a reason why Nokia was well respected and MS with their overconfident and arrogant attitude expect people to buy their overpriced phones when one can get better phone for much cheaper.For example Moto E over L530, Moto G over L720,Moto X/Nexus 5 over L1020/1520.
I dont know about other countries but here their phones are more expensive than the competition while offering less features.
So the short growth that WP got due to L520 will slowly fade away only because of MS attitude.
Posted from my L520.

Taigatrommel

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I've actually tried only an old blackberry phone, never tried the new ones at all.
But isn't the phone dying slowly? like the phone's quality and the App World aren't much to look forward to?
Well BlackBerry is currently refocusing on it's core market: Enterprise, they kind of just have the consumer market running besides it, without any or at least much marketing.
Phone quality is good to very good, the Z30 is nicely built, so is the Q10. The Z10 and Q5 both offer good build quality, especially the Z10 considering the current (local!) price. However, just like the past year's WP8 flagships they aren't hardware monsters. Dual-Core SoCs running with up to 1.7GHz, although all devices minus the new Z3 are equipped with two gigs of RAM. The Z30 is the current flagship and while it "just" offers a 720p screen with 295ppi, it has great battery performance.

App store is IMO a bit more lackluster compared to Windows Phone, however thanks to the now pretty decent feature of running Android apps and the now officially supported and included Amazon App Store you can easily have a access to a large number of additional apps.

It's just a suggestion. Personally I've come from BB10 to Windows Phone and still use my Q10 as a secondary device. I also like both systems for various reasons. BB10 appears to be more efficient, especially in terms of multitasking, app resuming is always near instant when the app is tasked. Windows Phone is more entertaining, comes with better out-the-box functionality and can be customized much more. Plus of course in my case the 1020 offers that impressive camera bundled with great camera software.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

I don't see why people get scared if they would only spend a few minutes to look at the situation rationally instead of reading click-bait headlines from sites like The Verge or something.

Nokia X was always a bad idea for Microsoft - only used as that silver bullet for Nokia to essentially blackmail MS into buying them. Canning it after the acquisition is the best thing to happen to both Nokia and MS, it's a project that is no longer needed so stop spending resources on it and dilute the attention of the teams.

Asha and S40 has no future, even if they move a lot of units (but with little to no margins) right now. The fact that they have little profit does not justify keeping 10k employees to support it and dilute resources and attention. Again, another completely sane and rational decision.

Mixradio sellout - spinning it off as a separate company is not necessarily a bad move. Content licensing is a tough business and in a lot of cases the demands for it directly conflicts with technology development (eg DRM, content people want it implemented, technology people don't want to work on it). As a separate company it would allow Mixradio to be more nimble and negotiate on terms which is more suitable to the content business without answering to a technology focused company that may not understand the nuisances of content business. Again, seems like a good move to me.

1020 EOL - it doesn't sell well despite the buzz and reputation it has, so they EOL it by not making any more stock least it sits in warehouses as unwanted stock. You don't order things you don't need, not a hard concept to understand. Again, absolutely rational decision.

McLaren - they showed it off to devs and found no one interested in the 3D touch stuff so they canned the project. Again, absolutely rational. Flip side of the coin - look at the Amazon 3D phone interface thing, nobody cares and it is not a killer feature, let it go and focus on the next thing.

All these decision are very sound, actually makes me appreciate that they don't have their head stuck in the sand instead.

Rei Zanaliu

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Well Microsoft has not really been known for giving people what they want.They are sort of like EA in their attitude .They want people to suck up whatever they throw at us and expect to blindly purchase their products and services.There was a reason why Nokia was well respected and MS with their overconfident and arrogant attitude expect people to buy their overpriced phones when one can get better phone for much cheaper.For example Moto E over L530, Moto G over L720,Moto X/Nexus 5 over L1020/1520.
I dont know about other countries but here their phones are more expensive than the competition while offering less features.
So the short growth that WP got due to L520 will slowly fade away only because of MS attitude.
Posted from my L520.

You dont know much about smartphones do you?

EliaJada

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Well BlackBerry is currently refocusing on it's core market: Enterprise, they kind of just have the consumer market running besides it, without any or at least much marketing.
Phone quality is good to very good, the Z30 is nicely built, so is the Q10. The Z10 and Q5 both offer good build quality, especially the Z10 considering the current (local!) price. However, just like the past year's WP8 flagships they aren't hardware monsters. Dual-Core SoCs running with up to 1.7GHz, although all devices minus the new Z3 are equipped with two gigs of RAM. The Z30 is the current flagship and while it "just" offers a 720p screen with 295ppi, it has great battery performance.

App store is IMO a bit more lackluster compared to Windows Phone, however thanks to the now pretty decent feature of running Android apps and the now officially supported and included Amazon App Store you can easily have a access to a large number of additional apps.

It's just a suggestion. Personally I've come from BB10 to Windows Phone and still use my Q10 as a secondary device. I also like both systems for various reasons. BB10 appears to be more efficient, especially in terms of multitasking, app resuming is always near instant when the app is tasked. Windows Phone is more entertaining, comes with better out-the-box functionality and can be customized much more. Plus of course in my case the 1020 offers that impressive camera bundled with great camera software.

Thank You, I've actually did not know Android apps were possible on Blackberry.
I'm actually considering getting a Z10 along with my L1020.
In the end, I'm just a fan of how smooth and fast the OS is.

EliaJada

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't see why people get scared if they would only spend a few minutes to look at the situation rationally instead of reading click-bait headlines from sites like The Verge or something.

Nokia X was always a bad idea for Microsoft - only used as that silver bullet for Nokia to essentially blackmail MS into buying them. Canning it after the acquisition is the best thing to happen to both Nokia and MS, it's a project that is no longer needed so stop spending resources on it and dilute the attention of the teams.

Asha and S40 has no future, even if they move a lot of units (but with little to no margins) right now. The fact that they have little profit does not justify keeping 10k employees to support it and dilute resources and attention. Again, another completely sane and rational decision.

Mixradio sellout - spinning it off as a separate company is not necessarily a bad move. Content licensing is a tough business and in a lot of cases the demands for it directly conflicts with technology development (eg DRM, content people want it implemented, technology people don't want to work on it). As a separate company it would allow Mixradio to be more nimble and negotiate on terms which is more suitable to the content business without answering to a technology focused company that may not understand the nuisances of content business. Again, seems like a good move to me.

1020 EOL - it doesn't sell well despite the buzz and reputation it has, so they EOL it by not making any more stock least it sits in warehouses as unwanted stock. You don't order things you don't need, not a hard concept to understand. Again, absolutely rational decision.

McLaren - they showed it off to devs and found no one interested in the 3D touch stuff so they canned the project. Again, absolutely rational. Flip side of the coin - look at the Amazon 3D phone interface thing, nobody cares and it is not a killer feature, let it go and focus on the next thing.

All these decision are very sound, actually makes me appreciate that they don't have their head stuck in the sand instead.

I basically just wanted to see something to look forward to! Currently Microsoft isn't giving information about any upcoming releases, other than non-special phones.
Plus, I feel getting rid of the Asha and S40 and MixRadio were not theirs to get rid of
It's like a step father sending his wife's children to military camp after they got married.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb