Word on the street, Microsoft considering renaming Internet Explorer

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Its pretty much common knowledge to those of us in tech but here is one of many links to make the point. Well, here is a second link. The uninstall issue link

Google originally designed Chrome to install in the AppData folder, in part to work around user restrictions. That way any user can install it whether or not they have administrator rights. This also had the benefit of making Chrome user specific on a machine. Google also provided another installer for business that installed Chrome in Program Files (Program Files (x86) folder in x64 computers).

About a year ago Google changed it so Chrome installs in Program Files (or Program Files (x86)) by default, unless the user does not have administrative rights. In that case it will install to AppData. The links provided above are old and out of date.

As far as uninstalling, Windows does not uninstall cleanly anyway. After a normal uninstall there will almost always be remnants of the uninstalled program left behind. I'm a PC tech, and when I remove programs such as toolbars while cleaning up a computer, I almost always use Revo Uninstaller because after the default Windows uninstall it manually scours the system for leftovers, including files, folders, and registry keys & values, for "debris." More often than not it finds something. I've never had issues uninstalling Chrome, but I would imagine that if a machine could not uninstall it, it's because it was not installed in the default location. And even if the folder was left behind, I've not heard or read anywhere (besides in this thread) that its purpose is to report home.

Bing is your buddy and google is your friend.

Bingo!

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Far more important then the name is bringing feature parity with Google Chrome.

#1 - Ditch Trident and use WebKit. Sure WebKit is not true HTML5 standards-based but it's the real-world standard for web.
#2 - Multiple account support
#3 - True extension system
#4 - More robust history(per device)
#5 - Full sync(history, bookmarks, extensions)
#6 - Ability to search settings
#7 - Round the tabs, the edges to too sharp. People prefer rounded corners on everything including UIs. Make the tab row flush with the top of screen.
#8 - Notifications

That's my must-have list to switch back to IE.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
#1 - Ditch Trident and use WebKit. Sure WebKit is not true HTML5 standards-based but it's the real-world standard for web.

I'd prefer compliance with the W3C standards, not something dictated by Apple. Use of WebKit rather than true HTML5 is as bad as the issues with early versions of IE, where developers had to code differently for IE and everything else.

WebKit is the contemporary version of IE (using a particular company's preference rather than official standards). Only this time, it's Apple, not Microsoft.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd prefer compliance with the W3C standards, not something dictated by Apple. Use of WebKit rather than true HTML5 is as bad as the issues with early versions of IE, where developers had to code differently for IE and everything else.

WebKit is the contemporary version of IE (using a particular company's preference rather than official standards). Only this time, it's Apple, not Microsoft.

sorry but the marketplace has spoken and WebKit won. There is not point in being stubborn about this.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
sorry but the marketplace has spoken and WebKit won. There is not point in being stubborn about this.

Why does Apple get a pass at the same thing that Microsoft did not?

Are mobile browsers something special that do not need to follow official W3C standards, even though desktop browsers were criticized if they didn't follow W3C standards?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why does Apple get a pass at the same thing that Microsoft did not?

Are mobile browsers something special that do not need to follow official W3C standards, even though desktop browsers were criticized if they didn't follow W3C standards?

Apple gets a pass because mobile Safari web usage is insanely high compared to the # users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers