Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

awusr

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes. iphones are too expensive and not interested in android. Just wish the app situation would improve on windows phone.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't say that I'd never buy another Microsoft device (never is a long time) but I can safely say that I don't see myself coming back to Windows Phone/whatever anytime soon. I'm just too comfortable with Android and Yahoo! Aviate launcher at the moment - there are no compromises. Every app I need is available. I found a great keyboard that isn't stock or Swype (Fleksy). My LG G3 is still performing well and the battery usually isn't an issue.

Not sure what would get me to come back. I have OneDrive, Office, Outlook, Microsoft Two-Step authentication, OneNote, and even Cortana available to me if I want it right now.

Ashish Choudhary3

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Definitely I will......I have purchased 730 this year...and sadly last Friday someone stole that.....but now i am surly purchase new windows phone instead of stupid android..windows store got everything i need...as compare to overloaded play store (90% apps are useless).
no hanging problem as in android
lite weight...compared to FAT BOY(android)
Windows is just best.....

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Most definitely.

I use multiple phones anyway as I like to separate my personal and business contacts (it's the only way people won't call and text you during off hours and expect instant reply), and for personal phone I just prefer using Windows. There are more and more little improvements which makes the "all in" better, for example as my usage between mobile and desktop is about 50/50, now that W10 actually syncs my custom Japanese IME word dictionary across devices, so even words now autocorrects and makes suggestions better on my W10M phone even if I've never typed that word on the device and only ever on my desktop. Once Cortana notebook syncing matures it will just get even better.

The only thing missing is just that most game apps which nearly never gets a release on Windows, but then I'll just defer that to my other business phone which flip flops between an iPhone or Android.

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I have had three generations of WP. Samsung Focus, Lumina 920 and currently, Lumina 1520. I love my Lumina 1520, but would upgrade, if I thought the next flagship was worth the upgrade. Although, I am liking what I see from the 940..50XL. The 5.7 inch screen comes close enough to the 1520. I couldn't imaging going smaller than that. Hopefully, we will see a well polished OS with hardware that can take full advantage of it. Other than the iris scanner, 3 gigs of RAM, removable battery, higher resolution HD screen, Continuum, and built-in wireless charging...I can't imagine anything else it would need.

Lokified

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I have an Icon and can't wait for the next gen phone to come out. For all those who say that Android is better I have to ask.... are you aware that the OS on the phone is fragmented and the security holes are so bit you can drive a semi through them? As for IOS... its decent... a little bit limited to consumer only uses... but its decent. Also, please keep in mind that while the Apps are currently lacking there are projects in the works that will allow the android and ios apps to be ported over as Win10 universal apps.

belawrence2

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
100%, without a doubt - YES! I have a L822 and a Nexus 5. The N5 should blow the doors off the L822 in terms of speed but, it doesn't. Android in general is just more of a kludge than WP is - I could list my complaints/differences, but I'm sure others have already covered that. I tried my best to adapt to Android as it would save me $20/month (because of one app I need for work), but it just doesn't work as well as WP for my needs.

EJE1968

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Tough question. I have been using smartphones ever since they came on the market, hence way before the iPhone was launched. I started with Windows Mobile devices, but when Microsoft stopped development after WM6.5, I switched to Android and used it for five years straight until last year. Last year, I purchased the Lumia 830 directly when it was launched.

My main reasons for switching to Windows Phone (WP) were:
1) I always found Android a bit messy, i.e. no consistent feel/experience thorughout the interface. This is probably the result of Google not applying very strict rules on apps & widgets. In contrast, iOS and WP are very consistent, which I personally like a lot.
2) The main reason however is that WP ties in much better with my professional workspace as everything is Microsoft at work. Since I work at a large company with very strict IT-security, it was always a struggle with Android. All kinds of work-arounds had to be developped since the native support is not that great on an Android device. iOS and WP on the other hand integrate perfectly with full native support.
3) I always liked the interface of WP with the active tiles.
4) I always liked the Nokia Lumia designs.

So, I have been using the Lumia 830 now for almost a year and I am still impressed by it. The OS is extremely stable, and everything simply works. I never have battery drain issues (Android.....) and I absolutely love the fluid integration with my professional workspace. In addition the camera on the Lumia 830 is very good, really nice pictures also when the light is not optimal.

But, there are things that bother me and actually I notice myself getting more and more annoyed over time. In all honesty, these have nothing to do with the Lumia 830 itself, but more with Microsoft and the way they manage the whole WP-program. For example, I live in Belgium, and still have no Cortana. I know I can get it by changing regional settings, but apart from messing up my acces to the local WP-store, it is ridiculous that one year after launch nothing has changed. Microsoft seems to completely ignore the non-US markets even though it is exactly in these markets that WP is getting some traction and market penetration.

The other thing annoying me is the much discussed and debated "app gap". I know, it is all relative, and some people are more impacted than others, but to me local apps are important and its is exactly there that the app gap becomes most noticeable. I mean, have you ever seen an add for an application from a company, a school, a local retailer, you name it, where anything other than the Apple App-store or Google Play were advertised???

Third thing is accessories. It is very tough finding cool accessories for any other smartphone than the iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S-models. And I am not talking about cases, but things like smartwatches and fitness-bands, or other cool bluetooth enabled devices that can actually connect and share full functionality. It just does not exist for WP, the only exception being the Microsoft Band, which again is extremely difficult to get if you do not live in the US (rest of the world is again seemingly irrelevant to Microsoft).

Apart from the Lumia 830, I also use the iPad mini 2, which is also fully connected to my work-environment. So, I do have plenty of experience with iOS to know that it is just as stable as WP and very well executed, I mean, it is one consistent experience troughout the device. It think it is actually very ironic that Android has the largest market share of all three OS's, while being (in my humble opinion) inferior to both iOS and WP, purely looking at the OS itself. But history repeats itself, in the old days VHS was also the inferior system for videorecording compared to Betamax and Video 2000 but yet the most used standard.

So that brings me to the basic question: should I buy another WP or not? To be very honest, I am very inclined to switch to the iPhone for the very reasons listed above. In my heart however, I would hate to do that as I believe WP is a superb OS and in fact closest to my likings. Microsoft however, is making it very hard to love them.

So most likely, I will wait until the official WP10 upgrade comes to my Lumia 830 and wait a bit to see how I like it, but most importantly, if WP10 really brings changes on the "app gap" front or not. If not, then I will make the move to iPhone where at least I know that full support exists from softwaremakers, and accessory makers.

Just my two cents.

mayblast

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

Nope. Too little too late.

I bought a new capable compact camera just yesterday, so my need for a flagship phone (with a proper camera) seized to exist. I bet Win10mobile is and will be great in time, but I've no need for a new phone anymore - in year's or two's time. In fact I was thinking about switcing back to my Nokia E71 just for the giggles (and smaller size).

solarscreen

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Always, as long as they make them. I work and play in a Microsoft world, and I have everything I need. Windows Mobile works well and Lumia phones do exactly what I need them to. All this ****** jabber about curves and bezels and metal and glass is stupid and childish. You put a case around all that and all you have left is function. No case? That glass or metal body is going to get dinged up, chipped and broken. I see it every day in the disappointed eyes of those I work around who are trying to get their moneys worth from their damaged sparkle toys.

Not me, I will ALWAYS buy durable, functional, and satisfying over fools gold that doesn't look like my tablets, laptop, and workstation.

Jules W

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Windows Mobile 10 doesn't look very inspiring yet. So I will be sticking with my two year old Lumia 925 and WP8.1 for another year to see if Microsoft ever get any sense of mobile. They have lost their way since the great vision of WP7.

I will be going back to Android.

AnuragP

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Not gonna buy any high end lumia . Feels like living in BETA world as a second class citizen of Mobile operating. not much of App gap problem but SuckyNonupdatingBetaCrap apps . Windows phone 10 starts feeling like copycat of iOS and android. WP 10 foregoing all the unique UI feature of WP 8 and Wp7.5 that I originally liked . SO why not get android /iOS with real working first party apps. And what with this regional setting .... Cortona is in eternal alpha phase in India . Even with US regional setting Cortana's speech recognition sucks . Google Now easily wipes floor with Cortana in terms speech recognition and smart result without having to change any region and language setting whatsoever . heck even Apple music was available here(India) from the start but groove is again locked in U.S. only.
will use WP as my beta device only as of now and hopefully MS one day may wake up and starts taking WP seriously

isaac lee ishida

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Daniel Rubino was told "I can tell you that no" 1030 "or" 1040 "is currently planned. That was a thing to differentiate Nokia. Sorry!".

In my opinion, if Microsoft really wants to differentiate Lumia (Nokia) and Lumia (Microsoft), please change your Lumia phone designs.
Microsoft does not realize that there are no significant differences between the Lumia (Nokia) and Lumia (Microsoft).
Please change your Lumia design, because it is getting boring and outdated. Use the buttons on the screen is very suffocating.
Samsung galaxy 6 Edge has a curve on the side of the screen, that their identities. And LG G4 has a curve in the middle of the screen.
While Microsoft is only remained dull and there's nothing identity marks for Lumia Microsoft.

Polycarbonate for Body material that is "Nokia thing", Oreo at back cover for camera hump also "Nokia thing" and PureView technology still "Nokia thing".
So what it is "Microsoft thing???" what Microsoft identity???

Microsoft soon will be introduced Lumia 950 and 950XL, although it microsoft product, but still using a Nokia Lumia design.
The fact Lumia Microsoft still living in the shadow of the Nokia brand. If want make a difference, please do it thoroughly.
Where is your designer team? Dear Panos Panay please save this Lumia Brand, because they getting boring and old fashion.
Microsoft should look at Acer Predator 6, Samsung galaxy 6 Edge or LG G4 design...that what we want.

What i talking is about Phone Design, Phone shape and Phone materials. Not about sofware or hardware. So don't said live tiles is "Microsoft thing".

Paul Stoner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
This question truly is a no-brainer. The answer is 'yes'. I am looking forward to the new flagship phone, specifically the rumored 950 XL. Having the Lumia 1520 has changed my life and how I do things. I have owned and used an Android, as well as an iPhone, and I have to say, the Lumia 1520 with Lumia Denim has been a far more satisfying experience than the other phones combined. From how I work, how I communicate, how I make memories, shoot photos and videos, and how I play - hands down the Lumia 1520 has been simply AMAZING! I think the rumored 950 XL will make a superior replacement for the 1520 especially having Windows 10 Mobile on it. I know a lot of people are giving a lot of flack on Windows 10 Mobile...but if remember how buggy and crappy Windows 10 was a few months ago before it's release - be patient, and I am sure the new devices are going to kick as much **** if not more! Looking forward to it all!!!

Alexis Vargas M

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I fell in love with the design of the 1020/920, but all of the Microsoft phones I've seen so far, aside from the 730, are just horrid design wise. Plus W10M is just horrible, I've been using it since day one, and apart from the bugs that I've disregarded, Microsoft looks like they don't know what they're doing. Unless when the launch date comes around and the OS is the perfect amalgam between players I'm jumping to Android.

I really agree with you, buddy. The desgins of the 950 are really killing all the intentions I had for replacing my 930 with one of those. I mean, the 930 it's such a beautifully peace of engineering, with good finishing and a simple but pure design. 950 and 640, the only two phones Microsoft has clearly designed are awfull and really give you the sense of carrying a cheap phone, like the iPhone 5C. 730, 630, 830 and pretty much every phone that still uses the Nokia brand are really pretty phones to carry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124