Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

Arhaine

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Yes and no.
If they'll make something more like my beloved 920, yellow, solid and sturdy, I will.
If the developers will keep ditching WP for Android and IOS, I'll probably switch (and sadly it looks like it).
I love the UI, I really really do. I love the MS services. But damn, the fact that most of the apps are ages away from their other OS counterparts is so damn frustrating.

Also, if they ever make a x86 compatible phone, I'll buy it. Period.

kjmcintosh

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I am giving it until Jan then might be tempted to iOS. The problem I have now are apps with windows phone and it is a problem, too many company's going down an app route. I just need to see when something new is launched that they have 3 logos for an app store not just 2!!! Now my problem with iOS is lock down, poor dull interface oh no FM radio. I do believe the MS will be first to deliver the device that can work all by it's self and work with all devices unlike Apple, work with Apple devices. I am hoping that the windows hello will be lighting fast on the phone as it is on the PC as that is cool.

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well... IT.. unfrotuantely happened. Waited and waited annnnnnnnd waited. Honestly its just taking too damn long. I've been an advocate for WP since the HD7. Always had faith in the platform! Even now... I can see how beaitifully it works. How stable it is. How everything integrates so well...... all of that is utter ****. I've come to accept that one truth. If you dont have the apps.... you dont have the customer. period. Installed preview 10 on my 830 and even with the hiccups I was impressed by it. BUT.... so what? I cant share anything with my wife or almost anyone else for that matter! Now people can say whatever they want about iPhone... lemmings... followers....mindless sheep... but you know what. I got an iPhone 2 weeks ago... and Ive never been more productive. This new world of apps opened up. Im sharing things with colleagues I could never have before. Im getting things done! Because of the friggin apps.
In fact... I was so impressed with how well it worked... I wanted to try something crazy! I put down my Surface Pro 3 (core i7, 500GB w/8GB ram) and bought a MacBook pro! Also, core i7, 500 GB SSD too, 16 GB ram. I've got paralles running on it and my productivity has also gotten stronger!
Let me tell you whats running on this Machine.... SQL 2012, VS 2013 and 2015, Xamarin Studio, XCode, Android Studio, MS Office.... yes... a full on DEV machine... and its running better than my SP3 did... soooooooo Im eating my words now at work. My friends are allllll laughing.... and the words definitely needs some salt and water.... but its better than going hungry!
So Microsoft.... I love you! And I will still develop for you.... and I will lead my team of 12 developer to code for you as well... but Im doing it on another platform... with my apps! Come join the party wont you?

P.S. Android is stil utter S H I T E ... Ive taken countless journeys into that myriad confusion of an OS and still dont know which way is up. Meh!

TheGeekNextDoor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I would buy another one if it was more of what they promised of Windows Phone when it was first released. I loved the hub mentality. It is unfortunate that facebook and twitter and others want to force you to use their apps to view your information. Now Windows Phone is not much different than any other mobile OS except for the fact that it is treated as a nasty stepchild by all of the "hip" software development companies. Many of these companies have been offered to have versions of their app built and paid for by Microsoft and they still say no. They pretty much think Microsoft isn't hip, so they won't even consider any of their products. It is rather sad since I make a good living off of doing web based development with Microsoft tools and think that their development tools are best of breed.

Darren Deighton

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I think they all make excellent products MS WP, Android, and IOS. Just have to try and make up your mind for yourselves, whatever works for you. It's a bit like buying a car. Just because you bought a particular make and model once, you don't have to stick to it. You can try something different next time around. I think Windows phone will suit those looking for a budget smart phone.

puredrive07

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I will have to see what the current state Windows Mobile is in sometime next fall when I'm up for a new phone on contract. I left Windows Mobile last November after 4 good/bad years for an Apple iPhone 6 Plus. I have no regrets leaving and I very much still like WinMobile and love every other product that Microsoft puts out (e.g. Surface, Xbox, Office), but all of Microsoft's services play very nicely with my iPhone that I feel like I never left MS albeit the fact that it's running iOS. Here's to hoping that MS can put out some nice Flagship phones in the future that will grab me back, until then I will keep enjoying my iPhone; don't worry I don't use any other Apple products other than the phone.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I plan on buying a device that meets my needs at the time, regardless of the ecosystem. I am entrenched in Windows Phone, Android, and iOS. I am OS agnostic, free to take a similar experience from one device to another. I'm curious to see how well the Lumia 950 / XL will fare against the iPhone 6S/6S Plus, and the myriad of Android devices that will launch in the coming months.

With Apple, you know you are getting one (now two) solid mobile devices released every year. While the spec sheet may be slightly improved every other year, you know the phone you buy now isn't suddenly obsolete after three months. You have to realize that Apple isn't the "we were first" company. They are the "we can do it better, prettier, and charge more money" company. The iPhone models I used may have had their quirks - all phones do - but the user experience was consistent and I was never left wanting more control over my device than what was allowed. I didn't feel the need to change colors and fonts. I didn't want to run a custom ROM.

When I jumped on the Windows Phone bandwagon with the Lumia 900, then the 920, 1020, and so on, I bought into the less is more concept with the design language and more modern approach to a mobile OS. The apps never really came to Windows Phone at the speed I would have preferred, but why would anyone spend more money to develop for yet another mobile OS when Apple and Google provide the most revenue? Over time I began to fall for the flashier looks and higher-end specs of flagship Android devices. Nokia Windows Phones had the better screens and optics, but that doesn't mean much if the apps you want to use aren't yet available, not to mention if they become available. When Microsoft bought Nokia, I was hesitant to think this was a bad idea because of the leverage this would mean on the next round of Windows Phones. I thought this would have been a move to give a more Apple-like experience with a stable OS and flagship devices. It hasn't appeared that way.

I own a Lumia 640 that I use on AT&T. I believe that the size of the phone is correct - manageable from a daily use perspective and easy to whip out and begin using quickly. I found the 640 XL to be too large for my tastes. I just wish Microsoft would have taken the optics on the XL and put them on the 640. That would have made for a more compelling device even if the cost was $150 off-contract. I'm not ashamed to show off my Windows Phone to anyone who asks. I think it's a great device and does just as much / if not more than counterparts that cost hundreds more. Yes it has its quirks. As I stated before, all phones have their quirks. I haven't yet used a device that I didn't hard reset / factory reset at least once. And that doesn't factor in rooting, ROMing, jailbreaking, and installing 'Insider Previews'.

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I've already taken to playing School Idol Festival on my mom's tablet. But after that Pok?mon GO announcement...

And I've already finished paying for my Lumia 925 on T-Mobile, and now just waiting patiently to see what Microsoft and T-Mobile deliver...

:p

RichHowerton

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
yes, as long as they continue to have micro SD card support, Wireless charging, and replaceable battery, (IPHONES DO NOT HAVE ANY OF THESE), and a top notch camera. Plus with the ability to load android and iphone apps, the future is good.

skshandilya

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the Lumia 830 with me as a daily driver. I am happy with it. Excellent camera, great battery performance. Does the job for me, email, messaging, news, very occasional gaming(no xbox), my daily workout, but getting tired of MS's lack luster attention towards getting devs to write apps and update them, main ones are banking, social networking, health apps (strava), MS seems to be changing stuff like adding more tiles, colours etc when they should be looking at taking care of devs, enabling them to write apps and so on..Too many changes in UI and sdk's pisses off devs and end customers. Lets see what happens next month, how many universal apps will be released when the phones are launched? Will make a decision then.

makoute

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Not as things currently stand, can't speak for a year or two from now, but I think I am non windows for a good year or two, checking wp 10 on my lumia 925 and I am not too interested.

Kopacha

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I won't comment your "complaints", just will answer - 100% YES. Four phones now, and counting. Been there (iOS and especially that bag of shytes Android, done that). As someone before me said - waiting for the release dates, to replace my faithful Lumia 930

Ozone06

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm not. I'm going out and getting a LG G4 after work today. It's a nice OS but I'm sick of waiting for a new phone. I might come back when I'm looking to upgrade again.

LiquidLearner

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not. I'm going out and getting a LG G4 after work today. It's a nice OS but I'm sick of waiting for a new phone. I might come back when I'm looking to upgrade again.

I just got a Note 5 for the same reason. The last time I tried Android was 18 months ago on a Note 3 and I hated it. I am really liking the Note 5 though. I just sent my Icon back to Verizon as part of the Edge program, deciding I'll keep the Note 5. If MS starts selling a Surface phone that looks like the other Surface products, supports VZW networks and runs an x86 processor it will likely be off contract, full price anyway. And I'd be willing to pay full price for it too.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Having bought a Samsung Focus on launch in 2010, then a Lumia 900, Lumia 920, and a Lumia 925:

No

It's almost October 2015 - FIVE YEARS - and they still haven't put gapless playback in the phone. That is a microcosm of the whole situation.

jamearl

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I will purchase new Microsoft Mobile phone. I like the OS. I'm not that into the looks of the phone as in most cases, I'll have a case on the phone any way. The most important features are usability, reliability and quality of device, calls, camera and video. Depending on which carriers sell the phone, I'll get multiple phones. However, the best solution is to make a variant that's is unlocked and work across all carriers (GSM and CDMA).

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
No. Because I have no individuality. I am feeling left behind by all of the other sheepy conformist followers of the cool crowd. You think Windows has a large gap? My gap spreads so wide for Android's super cool OS. I'll do anything to be like the rest of the awesome non-Windows phone owners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon