Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Having owned Windows phones like HTC Arrive, Nokia Lumia 520, Lumia 521 HTC 8X, Lumia 920, Lumia 635, Lumia 1520 and now a Lumia 640 LTE if I had the money right I would switch to a Android Flagship either a Nexus or Motorola flagship as the lack of bank apps, Microsoft Edge Browser not being on par with the browsers that I used on iOS and Android devices, lack of features and innovations and the fact that Microsoft apps on iOS and Android works much better than they do on Windows Phone.

So 100% no.

Last edited by a moderator:

yawns

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I started with Windows Mobile (HP iPaq 2210, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1) some years ago. Microsoft discontinued Windows Mobile and inventended Windows Phone. Therefore I switched to Windows Phone 7 (Samsung Omnia 7) and again Microsoft discontinued this ecosystem. I know, there was a lot of discussion and excuse so I migrated to Windows Phone 8 (Nokia Lumia 1020).
I like the interface, like the way it behaves.
In the meantime I received a Sony Xperia Z3 compact as my corporate work phone and I was sceptical at first, I never really liked Android. But I have to admit this phone is the best I had in the last 10 years.
* Battery lasts 4-5 days with normal use, my L1020 is on energy safemode every evening.
* the phone is ways faster than my L1020, it never lags or resumes
* mobile radio is available at places whereas my L1020 simply shows "no signal" - both use the same carrier

I am not sure what to do once my contract expires and I "need" a new phone. Switch to Android? Take a look at windows phones available?

Damon Aniton

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Yup. just waiting for thew flagships to come out. Nothing from Apple has ever impressed me. And the battery life on android phones and the fact that they start to run like crap after the first or 2nd OS update has always irritated me. While as with everything in life most choices truly come down to personal preference there is not 1 tangible technical reason I would not buy another windows phone when they come out

spakbaz

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
honestly, I was a big fan but I got disappointed over the past few years not only for underwhelming hardware but also lack of support for software update and lack of essential apps. unless its a really special hardware (which I yet to see) and also a commitment to bring the AAA app titles to platform I wouldn't bother get another windows mobile phone

salazka

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
50-50.

Between iPhone and an imaginary Surface Phone. If the flagships are what I see being leaked, and a Surface phone does not materialize then I will probably get an iPhone.

Very disappointed with the countless (some even serious, i.e. no backup possible for months.) bugs.

Andrey Bond

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
the reason why i switched to Lumia 640 from Iphone 4s was that my Iphone was literally dying and i thought why not to go and buy some cheap, good-looking, and fast phone. so, i came up with microsoft. it has been 2 months already and i enjoy it so far. for me a mobile phone is a toy to use a while and then i will feel kinda tired of it.so now i only wish microsoft to get a success out of its mobile industry. and yes, i would buy a new phone from microsoft it is gonna be cheap and not overpriced as iphones.

pmbAustin

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely. I'll be first in line for the Lumia 950 this fall. I'll never go back to iPhone, and Android is such a mess. Since I use Windows 10 everywhere, it'll be nice to have it on my phone too. And since I'm not a teenager, I don't care that there's no snap-chat, and the app gap hasn't really bothered me much (and it's likely to get a lot better with Windows 10 anyway).

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to buy another Phone running Windows Mobile OS. I'm pretty much a die-hard supporter. But a part of me doesn't think they're taking this seriously or maybe they just cant.

It doesn't bother me that there is no Snap-Chat or that Instagram hasn't been updated in years. But what I really don't understand is the fact that Microsoft hasn't built a feature complete Mobile OS in 6 years. Just think about that. We all know the history of Kernel changes and restarts, but they've rebuilt windows from the ground up in 3 to what we saw as Windows 8. Then they rebuilt it again in 3 more to what is today knows as windows 10. But The mobile side is still a work in progress. We all see that it's a mobile world, so when are they going to really decide to build a killer Mobile OS.

I like taking pictures with my phone and Microsoft devices have the best cameras. So why isn't that a focal point. They say 40MP cameras don't sell phones, well your 5, 10 and 20MP phones get no media attention taking the standard marketing approach. So make more 40MP phones and stay relevant. Be best in class in the few areas you have an advantage. Why doesn't Microsoft realize entertainment value is worth as much as productivity. Pictures, Movies, Music.

Where are the bundles Microsoft. Why don't I get Office 365, Groove, and 2 months of XBOX Live every time I buy a windows Phone. Think a college or high school student might like that kind of deal. Why don't my Colleges, Friends and fellow gamers show up in one list amongst all those services so I can say Try these other services out. How about a 640 thrown in with every top of the line XBOX ONE Bundle sold for the Christmas season.

Why hasn't Microsoft looked at Phones like the iPhone, S6 edge and the millions of surface phone renders and said, let's build a beautiful device that if nothing more looks the part. I'm starting to think they cant. Maybe they don't have the people there anymore to get it done. Maybe they don't realize that Lumia's are dead. Yep I said it, they're dead for certain markets.

Let's just move on from Lumia's in the North American Territory and make one Surface phone. Yep, One Phone Like the iPhone. No budget device, no mid range, just one Halo device that showcases the best you have. Let's leave the Lumia's and the volume sales to China, India and Russia.

Will I buy the new Lumia's. Maybe. But that's not a good sign considering I already have the Titan, 900, 920, 1020 and 1520. Now I'm saying maybe. Nokia is dead, but I think my love of Windows phone might be following them to the grave. I can't keep making excuses for Microsoft. They just need to build something amazing Like the surface pro 3, make it feature complete, market it with the taylor swifts of the world and get back to being relevant. Because if they don't, soon widows, especially the mobile side, will just be another story of how Rome came crashing down.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I will. I'll also be honest to say that I bring two phones. The other one being Android just for an app or so that MS doesn't have. But my main phone is still Microsoft and I'll still get another when my phone needs changing.

Justin Engel

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm just waiting for a Flagship. I currently have the HTC One M8 for Windows, but I really miss the camera on my old Lumia 920. I would have purchased the Lumia 930, but it wasn't available for AT&T.

I'm in the US Cortana works great. Cortana is awesome with Bluetooth and Ford Sync (I can have texts read to me and I can reply to texts hands free).

My bank doesn't have an app for my phone, but I don't really care about that. I've been able to find suitable third party apps. Apps are getting a lot better.

I don't like Apple and I constantly hear that every Android update breaks someone's phone. Best thing about having a windows phone is the near flawless syncing. When I first switched to Windows Phone it was 0 hassle. Contacts synced perfectly and merged duplicate names (or gave me the suggestions to merge contacts) and switching to a new windows phone device is effortless. All you have to do is sign in to your Microsoft Account and it does everything for you. My girlfriend just got a new Android phone and spent 3-4 hours switching devices. In the end she had problems with duplicate contacts and had to manually install several applications.

Overall I love the look and style of Windows Phone. I'm looking forward to Windows 10 and Continuum.

bt66

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I will if it's the right Flagship. I am disappointed at the renderings of Cityman & Talkman. Currently I have my 1520 on w10 preview. Is running smooth. I love the WP UI. Yes. I have most of the apps I need & use but I am also using Android on a second phone just to compare what's making this OS tick & what I am missing on WP. I don't like the Android UI at all. But, not knowing if WP will be there in a year or two, I am forced to try out other options. Ike iOS better than Android, but it's highway robbery for what you have to pay for those phones. I am rooting for WP to do better & succeed but I am afraid, MS will drop the ball. I say this because all the MS apps on Android feel better than the WP version. Which is sad but true.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Don't know... I think WP8.1 is better than W10M, at least from I have seen so far.

even though w10 is still beta the whole concept of a desktop UI downsized to a phone is not what I expected. Also it works with lags on most devices compared to 8.1 on the same devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlasten

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
No.

My next phone looks like it will be a Nexus. I feel there is a lot I am missing with a Windows phone right now. All my friends play games I don't have like Ingress, Clash of Clans, etc. (I know there are awesome and cross-platform equivalents but those aren't the ones they use), using virtual reality headsets (e.g. Google Cardboard), real multitasking/background processing, having apps I need (for me banking most importantly), and, in my opinion, a much Microsoft ecosystem experience. The obvious downsides I see are security and picture quality. Battery life may be another for some people but not for me.

Maybe in a couple of years when Microsoft has decided what to do and when/if developers start supporting the mobile platform and the apps show up. I had hope for the longest time. Promise after promise. I'm thinking it's time to wait from the outside now. If they release Edge for Android I will think twice about coming back though.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to buy another Phone running Windows Mobile OS. I'm pretty much a die-hard supporter. But a part of me doesn't think they're taking this seriously or maybe they just cant.

It doesn't bother me that there is no Snap-Chat or that Instagram hasn't been updated in years. But what I really don't understand is the fact that Microsoft hasn't built a feature complete Mobile OS in 6 years. Just think about that. We all know the history of Kernel changes and restarts, but they've rebuilt windows from the ground up in 3 to what we saw as Windows 8. Then they rebuilt it again in 3 more to what is today knows as windows 10. But The mobile side is still a work in progress. We all see that it's a mobile world, so when are they going to really decide to build a killer Mobile OS.

I like taking pictures with my phone and Microsoft devices have the best cameras. So why isn't that a focal point. They say 40MP cameras don't sell phones, well your 5, 10 and 20MP phones get no media attention taking the standard marketing approach. So make more 40MP phones and stay relevant. Be best in class in the few areas you have an advantage. Why doesn't Microsoft realize entertainment value is worth as much as productivity. Pictures, Movies, Music.

Where are the bundles Microsoft. Why don't I get Office 365, Groove, and 2 months of XBOX Live every time I buy a windows Phone. Think a college or high school student might like that kind of deal. Why don't my Colleges, Friends and fellow gamers show up in one list amongst all those services so I can say Try these other services out. How about a 640 thrown in with every top of the line XBOX ONE Bundle sold for the Christmas season.

Why hasn't Microsoft looked at Phones like the iPhone, S6 edge and the millions of surface phone renders and said, let's build a beautiful device that if nothing more looks the part. I'm starting to think they cant. Maybe they don't have the people there anymore to get it done. Maybe they don't realize that Lumia's are dead. Yep I said it, they're dead for certain markets.

Let's just move on from Lumia's in the North American Territory and make one Surface phone. Yep, One Phone Like the iPhone. No budget device, no mid range, just one Halo device that showcases the best you have. Let's leave the Lumia's and the volume sales to China, India and Russia.

Will I buy the new Lumia's. Maybe. But that's not a good sign considering I already have the Titan, 900, 920, 1020 and 1520. Now I'm saying maybe. Nokia is dead, but I think my love of Windows phone might be following them to the grave. I can't keep making excuses for Microsoft. They just need to build something amazing Like the surface pro 3, make it feature complete, market it with the taylor swifts of the world and get back to being relevant. Because if they don't, soon widows, especially the mobile side, will just be another story of how Rome came crashing down.

They ditched most of the Nokia team. Microsoft looks more and more as a cost keeping company willing to ignore any sort of quality. They could have picked one of the concepts out there, cause there are some stunning ones, give that guy a contract to finish the whole design along with their team but keeping his model in front. But why to pay more when they simply decided to ignore everything and come up with these two trash toys. Also there are some concepts about the OS too, extremely beautiful. Did MS took any of them into account? No And they scream then that WP needs more users and dev attraction. I believe that a team of no more than 4 concept designers out there could have provided a breaktrough device and a stunning OS interface and experience.... and some call Satya a mastermind :))) lol at what? ignoring any sort of quality maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ICwater

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes of course. The question is, what would I buy if MS does kill off WP? Which I wish people would actually stop talking about.. self-fulfilling prophecies and all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb