Wow can a Surface ever cause a stir....in Mac land....

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I am curious....have you taken your RT or Pro into what I call Macland ( Starbucks ) ??? :smile:

I went off to visit my Mom, take her some treats and the finish cut of a video of my Father in his marching band prior to his passing. (She loved it)

Any way I don't drive, so I use a combo of bus and taxi to make my way, and at the change over spot (Starbucks), I got coffee for us and called the cab.

I was told it would be a bit as the cab company was overloaded. As I had my Surface with me I was happy to wait.

Well you would have thought I pulled out kittens from my backpack and started to tear them apart. It went from nice and quiet to mumbles and grumbles. :smile: One comment I did manage to hear was " Ugh what's that doing here?" :smile:

Being I live in a University town there is a large population of Mac users......and they do not seem to like us Surface dwellers.

What reaction have you gotten from your Surface? Good or Bad????

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've never spotted a Surface in Starbucks. There aren't that many MacBook users either, mostly I see Acer or Lenovo laptops at the Starbucks in my neighbourhood.

The most unusual spotting I ever made in Starbucks was an HP Touchpad (webOS).

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I've never spotted a Surface in Starbucks. There aren't that many MacBook users either, mostly I see Acer or Lenovo laptops at the Starbucks in my neighbourhood.

The most unusual spotting I ever made in Starbucks was an HP Touchpad (webOS).

OMG you saw an HP out in the wild??? That is a good spotting !!! I didn't think anybody bought one !!

Here in Guelph most Windows machines will be spotted in Tim Horton's or at the mall food court. Starbucks and the other Posh Coffee house is normally wall to wall Macbook.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
OMG you saw an HP out in the wild??? That is a good spotting !!! I didn't think anybody bought one !!

Here in Guelph most Windows machines will be spotted in Tim Horton's or at the mall food court. Starbucks and the other Posh Coffee house is normally wall to wall Macbook.

I also know a guy in one of my local Linux User Groups who has a Touchpad. I played with it at one of the Linux User Group meetings. I wish I would've gotten a Touchpad during the fire sale.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I also know a guy in one of my local Linux User Groups who has a Touchpad. I played with it at one of the Linux User Group meetings. I wish I would've gotten a Touchpad during the fire sale.

The video review I watched said it was not fully finished in terms of OS. Overall the review was good, but the person's opinion was it was kinda buggy. That and he was waiting on some form of hack to finish.
HP WebOS and the BB Playbook are 2 items I never really looked at, and I know so little about them. It would be fun to learn and tinker with them!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The video review I watched said it was not fully finished in terms of OS. Overall the review was good, but the person's opinion was it was kinda buggy. That and he was waiting on some form of hack to finish.
HP WebOS and the BB Playbook are 2 items I never really looked at, and I know so little about them. It would be fun to learn and tinker with them!

I don't think it is too bad considering how cheap it was when HP discontinued it. It would've been worth it for me at the fire sale price, but as they say "you snooze, you lose".

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I had a 32gb and my wife has a 16gb. Our son now uses the TP occasionally for playing games or watching YouTube.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I have an HP Touchpad. I installed Android on it via dual boot and that's what I use most of the time. I played with WebOS some though. I wouldn't say it's buggy. It actually reminds me a lot of WP. Pretty good OS, but the lack of apps affect its usefulness.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Amazing ...

I go to sTarbucks on occasion.
Mainly in and out of the drive thru.

I find it odd that humans actually rate other humans based on their electronic device preference.
Laughable not to mention ridiculous.

(meanwhile in Syria an innocent public element including children continues to starve while a go nowhere war rages on)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I feel like I run circles around iPad users when I meet them, I can't really come with with many things the iPad does better (or even does..) than my Surface RT (first gen) for me. That said, I don't play games on mobile devices, so I do admit that the iPad is most likely better for that.

But it all comes down to what are one's needs. I can't really come up with any reasonable arguments for myself to use an iPad, but I don't go out of my way to recommend Surface to someone who is clearly better off with an iPad :p

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a Touchpad. Also have my old Pre Plus, Pre 2, and Pixi Plus gathering dust. WebOS was an OS that, if it had been able to run as smooth as WP, and had Palm had the money to make the original Pre much more solid, it might have knocked Droid out of the running early. VZW was originally interested in picking it up as it's primary competition to the iPhone, but the Moto Droid was a more solid device, and VZW wanted some changes which the Pre+ had. WebOS is still the best multi-tasking software paradigm out there. If it had the fluidity of WP and at least an active app base as large as WP, I'd still be on it as the experience is better than all the other OS' out there, IMHO. Alas, Hurd was going to make it HP's primary means of becoming relevant in the mobile/tablet space, but then he got axed shortly after the purchase, and Leo ruined Palm and webOS.

I have CyanogenMod on my Touchpad for the latest games, but Android is just so horrible compared to webOS. It pains me to use it most times. I've moved on, phone wise, now to WP where I plan to stay for the foreseeable future. When you see some other OS tossing applications away to close them...thank webOS. iOS still ain't got nothing on it, and let's be honest, those Macheads are probably just jealous that the Surface can wipe the floor with it in most power user situations. Next time ask them if they can sync their iPad to their OSX desktop like Win8 can do across devices? What do you mean you can't prop your tablet up and whip out a mouse to drive your tablet? And on and on.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Being I live in a University town there is a large population of Mac users......and they do not seem to like us Surface dwellers.
LOL this is the best part of this! I couldn't help but laugh at "Surface dwellers" haha. I'll have to use that. I have heard people talk about windows 8 badly. One of my friends happened to be one of them. Showed him my windows 8 on my Samsung smart ativ pc. Explained to him that the "Metro" or start screen is just a visual start menu. It blew his mind and it finally made sense to him. Basically he judged windows 8 based on what other people said. I hate that.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
LOL this is the best part of this! I couldn't help but laugh at "Surface dwellers" haha. I'll have to use that. I have heard people talk about windows 8 badly. One of my friends happened to be one of them. Showed him my windows 8 on my Samsung smart ativ pc. Explained to him that the "Metro" or start screen is just a visual start menu. It blew his mind and it finally made sense to him. Basically he judged windows 8 based on what other people said. I hate that.

It is sad how many have passed judgement on Windows 8 or 8.1 without even getting into it. Also nice way to break down the Metro/Modern UI....I hadn't thought to think of it like that !!

However after using it on a Netbook for a short time, now my Surface.....it is no big deal to use either keyboard and mouse or touch.....it's second nature now.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It is sad how many have passed judgement on Windows 8 or 8.1 without even getting into it. Also nice way to break down the Metro/Modern UI....I hadn't thought to think of it like that !!

However after using it on a Netbook for a short time, now my Surface.....it is no big deal to use either keyboard and mouse or touch.....it's second nature now.
I have Windows 8.1 on a 5 1/2 year old laptop. It runs better than Windows 7, since it uses less resources. I have no issues using the touchpad or the keyboard and a mouse.

I also have a new laptop with a touchscreen, but I hardly ever use the touchscreen, even in metro mode. The touchpad or keyboard/mouse work just fine.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
There are legitimate complaints about Windows 8 on non-tablet devices. Metro is NOT just a visual start menu. It is an entirely new user interface that affects applications designed for that UI. Modern/Metro UI is optimized (I'd say over-optimized) for touch screens. It is a waste of screen space on typical notebook and desktop systems. It (Metro/Modern) will not be embraced by F500 corporations because of that.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
There are legitimate complaints about Windows 8 on non-tablet devices. Metro is NOT just a visual start menu. It is an entirely new user interface that affects applications designed for that UI. Modern/Metro UI is optimized (I'd say over-optimized) for touch screens. It is a waste of screen space on typical notebook and desktop systems. It (Metro/Modern) will not be embraced by F500 corporations because of that.
I think you make a good and valid point. In my opinion it isn't so bad with mouse and keyboard either. Just need to learn some hotkeys and mouse gestures. But I can definitely understand though that it is easier to use with touchscreen. I respect your opinion because it is actually a valid point.

Here come the haters.....
I'm fine with it. As long as they have something to back up their opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo