When You Aren't Volunteering Here, What Else Do You Do For a Hobby?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey, guys and gals...

Thanks for all you do and all the time you put in making our forums preeminent.

But when you aren't here giving your time and expert help, what else do you do for fun? What hobbies do you have? Do those relate even indirectly to the forums?

I'd love to hear what you get up to.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I read books (blogs too), watch my TV shows, and baseball games. I enjoy watching them AND going to them for my favorite team. YouTube is fun too. Concerts are also a thing for me too.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Thought I’d take this chance to tell you a little about myself. I’ve always been heavily interested in computers – from the time I got a Commodore 64 and helped my brother to build a PC at home, through to the Gameboy, Playstation, and Xbox 360’s I’ve enjoyed in the past. I build my own PC’s and I keep up to date with all aspects of PC tech as well as being interested in PC Gaming over console gaming nowadays.

I’m interested in tech in general but if we’re talking mobile phones I’ve had a multitude of devices ranging from Nokia 3210 and 3330’s to LG Viewty, Samsung Soul U990 and HTC Magic 2 and HTC Desire then Lumia 920, 930 and now my 950 XL. As you can see I used Android (for a number of years) before I tried a Lumia 920 and grew to love the Windows Phone OS. I joined Windows Central (or Windows Phone Central, as it was back then), when I was first looking for information about Windows Phone before I took the plunge and purchased my 920 and I’ve not looked back since. It still suits my purposes better than any other mobile OS (I like the simplicity and design of it.)

Speaking of design, I’m a Graphic Designer by trade and I even do freelance design in my spare time (including Web Design). And I’ve always been a sucker for forums. I love the nature of forums; people contributing to a real-time discussion – either asking for help or providing it.

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to get in touch with me and I’ll try to help you out if I can.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It's fun to learn some of these things about you guys. You can really learn a lot about someone by their hobbies and interests. Great idea, RumoredNow!

I play quite a few computer games - Overwatch, Minecraft, Path of Exile, and World of Warcraft to name a few. I also enjoy games played off the computer! Board games, card games, trivia type games, etc. One of my favorite things to do is get together with a group of friends, drink some whiskey and play a few games of Catan or any other type of game.

Other hobbies include running (distance and sprints), discussing theology, politics, and whiskey! I have other hobbies as well, but i'll stick to listing the main ones.

Oh, i also like Windows technology :amaze:

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hrmmmmm, well, when I'm not doing my thing around here I have plenty on my plate.

I play hockey (goalie - yeah I'm crazy), so twice a week or more I'm on the ice. During the summer months I enjoy golf, although I haven't had the opportunity to play as much as I'd like. Think I managed to get in 3 or 4 rounds last year (when I was a kid I'd play 5 times a week!). The wife and I enjoy going out for dinner, making renovations to the house, doing cool things around the yard... and we're both slightly addicted to coffee so there's a good chance you can find us in a coffee shop somewhere. :)

Truth be told though I simply love what I do around here. Even on weekends I find myself in my office doing what I can to make this place just a little better for all. Am often inspired by the passion and dedication of folks like you (^ the posts above are a great example) and I want to do all I can to make sure a) our volunteers are taken care of and b) we welcome new members and volunteers with open arms!

Will leave it at that for now. Really dig this thread, looking forward to reading what others have to say :)

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
One of the most important things in my life is my sobriety. I got clean and sober on July 23rd 2002, and have been so ever since. I regularly attend 12 step meetings, mostly AA and OA these days, but I do get to other meetings. I also will tell my story at treatment centers, in particular the place I went to in 2002. I will be going to the Keystone Center on July 22nd this year to "speak" for the group that got me sober. I usually go there several times a year, BUT the anniversary appointment is a standing one and is VERY important to me! This year I will have 15 years!

I'm also really in to tech, sports and movies. I have an active social life. Although I'm kinda divorced (we were never married, but were together for over 10 years), I have begun talking to my ex again. NOT sure whats going to happen there. ;) I love going to the movies, and to sporting events! I like to travel and was recently in Barcelona Spain! I plan to go to Italy soon, and maybe Iceland! (soon being like next year! lol)

Great thread idea Robert! Do you think you have enough titles under your screen name? lol

Aquila

Alienware Rogue
May 14, 2013
Visit site
Riding my motorcycle ... i wish, don't get to do that enough. Full time work, full time school, full time parent to two daughters, volunteer on the forums and THEN try to ride my motorcycle :)

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
For my hobbies, I read and learn as much as I can about various things. I'm also a competitive powerlifter and strength coach at a crossfit gym.
Living in West Virginia being outdoors to reset and relax is great as well. I like to hike and fish a little every weekend.

metllicamilitia

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm usually over at iMore. In my own time I like write reviews for cases and other things. I spend too much time watching TV. I still read occasionally. I listen to music every day and I play guitar. I'm still working on getting a easily portable travel setup so I can play when I'm travelling for work. That's about it, I don't do a whole lot though I am trying to do more.

iSRS

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
My recent hobby is Galaxy of Heroes on my iPhone/iPad. Been playing daily since the game launched in October 2015.

Actually, may be a bit of an obsession at this point. Going on a family Disney cruise in April and I trying to determine if the onboard wifi costs are worth me paying so that I can, at least, get my daily login rewards!

Other than that, and other than (mostly Apple) tech, all things Star Wars and Disney (as if my avatar wasn't enough of a give away to that).

anon(5630457)

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I read. A lot. I love sci-fi and fantasy books. I play a lot of video games as well. I'm really loving my NES Classic and PS4 right now. I'm an amateur astronomer and I love going out stargazing at night with my telescope.

Dmd74

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
As a father of five children I spend most of my free time with them. My boys are active in sports and I spend a lot of time at the baseball fields for one, football for another, and hockey for a third. We spend a lot of time together. Aside from them, I spend a ton of my free time with my spouse who is my best friend.

When not with the family I like to go to the local ECHL hockey affiliate games as we have season tickets. I enjoy reading as well. My most relevant hobby to the forums though is my collecting of BlackBerrys.

freeyo

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I do a lot with audiophile. Have a beautiful sounding system, using old school, and some new. Tube amp, wired speakers, laptop as server and a dac for analog. While having spinal stenosis and coping with wifes health, I have been given time to set up system and listen. Well that's all for now.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Let's see...usually something for the kids. I have four kids so we're constantly running the roads for one of their activities (usually sports like baseball & football). That keeps me fairly busy. I also still actively participate in men's baseball for myself and try to volunteer through many social functions in our town. I'm a sports and tech addict so if I do have any free time outside of work and the children's activities, that's likely what you'll find me participating in.

Azensun

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Hobbies?! Geez, I forgot what that's like. These days, it's all about herding cats, aka crisis management for me. What I remember as fun.....hanging in the forums, home improvement around my former house (all I need is a nail gun, hammer, a small saw, and silicone, and I'm good to go), and spending quiet time reading whatever I could get my hands on that was interesting.

On another note, it's GREAT to see some familiar names in here!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes