[Guide] Installing Redstone on Unsupported devices (X2X Series)

PicodeGalla

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok it seems to be working this time!!

I used this configuration with my Lumia 925 ATT Variant
PhoneHardwareVariant : RM-1045
PhoneManufacturer : NOKIA
PhoneManufacturerModelName : RM-1045_1003
PhoneModelName : Lumia 930

Just in case anyone else runs into the same issue I had.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
There is no .351 build for the Production Ring of Winodws 10 Mobile. It was released to only Insider slow and RP rings. I mistakenly wrote in the end of guide. My bad. I will update it in the thread. And remember as of now only production builds of redstone are possible to install on Lumia 620 aka 512 MB devices.

BTW, if anyone interested, write access on Lumias is easily achieved using the Interop Tools appxbundle. That said, I strongly advocate AGAINST installing Windows 10 on devices with 512 Mbytes of RAM. Now that a week after getting .321 on Lumia 620 the phone started to heat enormously so that it can't even charge itself, battery drain is that high. I could've left it for a while but the back panel heats that high in the area where USB plugs so I am scared that phone could burn...

Rodion Rodion

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
I had Windows 8.1 on Nokia 1020 before doing this procedure. I was able to choose rings from "Windows Insider" but didn't receive any update. After completing this procedure - unlock, root and registry edit I can't choose any rings any more. When I select "Get preview builds" I get Server error: "A connection error prevented us from downloading programs for you. Please check the date/time on your device and its network connection and try again."
I have correct date/time and time zone and no problem with network connection. I already reinstalled original firmware by "Windows Device Recovery Tool Installer", performed Hardware reset, created a new Windows account after Hardware reset - nothing helped. I continue to get this Server error. Has anyone been having the same issue lately? Is there a fix for this?
Thanks.

anon(8200403)

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue on my 1020.
The windows Insider app is not booting with the error you have described.
Hopefully this is just a temporary issue for today... Lets hope Microsoft has not abandoned the Windows Insider app.

I also wasn't able to flash the WindowsMania.pl rom, since the issue with the 7.4gb and 7.2 gb versions (dont understand exactly, but basically means I have the wrong (smaller) one.

Didier FERS

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi.
I'm stuck at this step
//
i) First : Go to "Windows Phone Internals tool" and select "Disable Root Access", make sure you get the message "Root access is disabled". After doing this step, your phone will boot normally and wait for it to boot to lock-screen.

ii) Second : After disabling the root access, Click "Restore Bootloader" in the WPI tool (your phone will again go to flash mode). Wait for the process to complete and the phone to boot back to normal. (Not necessary but I still prefer to do so.)
//
I can click on "disable root access" and i have the message "root access is disabled" BUT the phone doesn't boot on lock-screen AND "restore bootloader" is impossible.
The phone is in mass storage and on "waiting for connection" in WPInternal

Have you an idea
Please

ParaZzzit

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi Conan,

Many many many thanks for you and the XDA Team for the tools and exact step by step update for older Windows 10 Lumia Phones. I have a 925 Lumia, with the latest update 14393.448 and I must say it works great, without major problems!.

2 Exceptions:
- bluetooth (which I am sure it will fix once I hard-reset the phone).
- glance screen - please help me with this issue. Kindly do a step by step instruction for this also, because from what you said in the past, it is possible to make glance screen to work...although I see many guys that haven't managed it to work yet. You said in the previous posts you'll make a new topic with the instructions but I simply can't find them.

Thank you so much for your support again.

draco90

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
I cant enable root access. Every thing goes well untill its enter Mass Storage mode then WPI close by itself and after "Just press Power button and Volume down for 10 sec and your phone will exit Mass Storage mode. And it will boot normally to your lockscreen." there is blue screen with " :( " in middle

baboss

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Verizon Lumia 928 here.
I've been updated to Win10 via Developer Preview/Insider for some time. I exited the Preview and got 10586.545 installed. I believe MS released another update my phone was eligible for after that as my phone is now on 10586.682
The phone is ok but sluggish and I figured I could benefit from the Redstone refinements.
I reset my phone and made sure no app updates came down (especially any Extras+Info update). I've "installed" the Interop appx files but Interop does not show under Extras, I've waited and tried multiple times.
Is upgrading to Redstone builds not possible because my phone is on 10586.682 instead of .545? Did MS block Interop in .682?
Do I need to get back down to .545 for this upgrade to work? Is there an easy was to do that or do I need to do the Recovery Tool to get back to 8.1 and work my way back up?

ITmanagerNC

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
So, I made the mistake of using WDRT to restore my 925 which brought it back to 8.1 and then i remembered there was no way to get back to W10M TH2, and use the easy method to get to Redstone. So I followed this guide. I'm quite technical and attentive to details and had high confidence.

Steps 1-3 went fine, I had all the right files and folders selected.

When I clicked continue I saw my PC spawn another window where it was installing a driver, which apparently finished but WPInternals.exe crashed!

The phone screen is blank, no vibrations, no indication of life. Restarting WPinternals.exe says 'Waiting for Connection with Phone'.

Why the program would crash at the critical time really ticks me off.

When connecting and disconnecting the USB cable from the phone I do hear the Windows sound that it's seeing the connect/disconnect.

In Device Manager, Under Ports I see
Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM3)

This PC does NOT have WDRT installed, i did the WDRT reset back to 8.1 on another system. The instructions said WDRT would be needed if anything went wrong, so I didn't bother installing it on this PC. Maybe that was an issue.

I took the device to my laptop with WDRT and plugged it in. USB alerts, errors that the last USB device connected isn't working correctly, non-stop disconnect/reconnect sounds going off back to back, I fired up WDRT, selected Lumia, I said 'device not found', and it downloaded some emergency flashers. But failed with an error couldn't find phone. However the USB disconnect/connected sounds quieted down so i tried again the device finally came back with the red Nokia flash screen and the OS is flashing now. PHEW.

I will try again but still wondering why the utility crashed.

it had to do with a .net error...

Application: WPinternals.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: .
at ..(., Byte[], Byte[])
at ..(.)
at ..(.)
at ..()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Faulting application name: WPinternals.exe, version: 1.2.5840.42485, time stamp: 0x5681cac6
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x582588e6
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000017788
Faulting process id: 0x514
Faulting application start time: 0x01d26763b3764d8d
Faulting application path: C:\Temp\Lumia925Hack\WPinternals 1.2\WPinternals.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 2a3650f6-a0e5-49ad-a007-aa02f402996b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

So I'm looking for advice on trying again and documenting my experience in case it benefits others.

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:

ITmanagerNC

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
2nd attempt worked without incident. I'll leave my previous post up there for reference if anyone else has the wpinternals app crash in the middle of the changes.

nitikosovo

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Hello I just saw your guide to install win 10 mobile in unsupported devices
-I have a Lumia 521 512mb ram
Os version : 8.10.12400.899
Firmware rev. number : 3058.50000.1439.0042
Hardware revision number : 1.0.0.0
Radio software version : 2.0.242037.8
Chip SOC version : 8227
Screen res. : 480x800
-I want to know can i apply your guide in my phone
-How can i backup my phone (you mentioned in your guide - Please backup your phone, as sometimes (aforementioned exceptional cases) you may need to flash your Stock ROM back to your phone)

Please can you tell me !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon