The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-29-2015 10:13 AM
211 12345 ...
tools
    The HUGE differences, MOST devs will update their iOS apps. So this is not an issue on iOS, or if it is, it's very rare.

Windows Phone ? We have PLENTY of apps from WIndows Phone 7, that have NEVER been updated, the devs dont even care, as their iOS apps of the same title has been updated 20 times with new content.. even weeks ago...

Even apps that were made a few months ago are never updated on WIndows Phone but, iOS and Android...all the time.

Dont go here on this. There is apps in the store, they should work on all devices, ESP brand new $650 devices... Your another one making an excuse as a Windows Phone fanboy. Current apps saying "Not compatable with your device" or crashing, there is NO excuse for it
    I'm not making excuses as anything. That's not exactly Microsoft fault or responsibility that these apps creators aren't supporting their product.

You cheapen your argument by labeling anyone who disagrees with you and is happy with Microsoft and the 950 xl as fanboys btw.
    Zeem Frostmaw and Bobcat665 like this.
    12-24-2015 12:33 PM
    They are obviously stopgaps as Microsoft seems to now be looking to the "Panos/Surface phone" as their "REAL" smartphone and the OS itself is unfinished and will probably remain so till that new savior phone is launched.
    The problem Microsoft will still face is the ecosystem. WP8.1 is quite stable, but it still lacks in apps/support. Even if W10M was equally as good, it would still have the the same shortcoming.

Until the ecosystem issue is taken care of, no amount of good hardware and even a good solid OS is going to help much.
    a5cent and loribinca like this.
    12-24-2015 12:36 PM
    Personally, I don't think anyone should buy these phones. They are obviously stopgaps as Microsoft seems to now be looking to the "Panos/Surface phone" as their "REAL" smartphone and the OS itself is unfinished and will probably remain so till that new savior phone is launched. Not seeing the appeal of being an unpaid beta tester while Microsoft does their best work on ios and android.
    I think people should buy these phones because they are great products and the os, while quirky, is quite good.
    SAying no one should buy this is basically a bit close minded and arrogant because for many people these products work well and meet their needs.

I certainly will be buying one because I find the phones exceptional and nothing on the platforms match my needs or wants.
    12-24-2015 12:37 PM
    I can honestly say that NONE of those issues are happening on my 950. Sure, I had one app that caused a restart & lag but it was old nonessential lock screen app, uninstalled & back to normal.

I don't know why I haven't had any of the issues we've all seen reported, but I haven't.
    Go record some 4k video and after immediately take a pic or record so.e more and report back
    12-24-2015 12:43 PM
    Go record some 4k video and after immediately take a pic or record so.e more and report back
    LOL OK

I couldn't have taken a pic faster after stopping record on a 4k video... no lag or freeze.

Sorry, my phone works great.
    editguy likes this.
    12-24-2015 12:53 PM
    This is EXACTLY what a fanboy says. Your defending a WIndows Phone app when you should not be. The isuse is, A EXPENSIVE phone was released, there is a applictions in the store TO BUY.
    Defending apps? The apps are literally the entire problem lol. Call me a fanboy or whatever you like, but at least I can read.

Notice how the recently updated games like Minecraft PE and Asphalt 8 are fine? Those games are made with QHD displays and 6+ core processors in mind. Older games are not. It's completely up to app developers to ensure their apps work with the latest devices. Microsoft can't edit the code on their behalf, nor is it MS's responsibility to design the phone and OS around them. The apps are either programmed well or they aren't.

Gave it a shot and found trying to take 4K video while the phone is still adding finishing touches to a photo will cause it to fail. After the post-processing has finished though I've found no issues.
    Rich215 likes this.
    12-24-2015 01:14 PM
    Those games are made with QHD displays and 6+ core processors in mind. Older games are not. It's completely up to app developers to ensure their apps work with the latest devices.
    This is, at the very least, misleading.

Display resolutions and CPU architectures are exactly the type of things operating systems are expected to abstract away. Differences in hardware are exactly the type of things operating systems are built to deal with, so that app developers don't have to! That's one of the reasons operating systems exist in the first place. If the things you mentioned are actually what is causing apps to fail, then W10M is a laughable failure of an OS. Not a single app should experience compatibility problems or instabilities due to such hardware differences or any others like it.

Due to the complexities involved, it's not realistic to expect every WP7, WP8 and WP8.1 app to run perfectly on W10M. WP8.0 couldn't run every WP7 app without issues either. The question is whether we're just talking about a small number of apps exhibiting OS (not hardware) related compatibility issues (which would be tolerable), or whether W10M is just generally too unreliable/unstable for to average user to run anything with confidence at this time. I don't have enough information to judge this myself yet, but if forced to guess I'd currently tend towards the later.
    12-24-2015 01:44 PM
    Obviously the exact causes of the app crashes are unknown to me, but I do know that the worst scenario I'm aware of, where Minecraft PE would crash almost 100% of the time after tapping 'Play' on the Lumia 950 and XL (and only the 950 and XL, I should emphasise), was fixed in an update just a week or two after the phones launched. I haven't had a crash in Minecraft since.

I'd speculate that it isn't massively difficult to get these apps stable on the 950's, but developers just aren't bothering / haven't had the chance yet to update them.
    12-24-2015 01:56 PM
    Obviously the exact causes of the app crashes are unknown to me, but I do know that the worst scenario I'm aware of, where Minecraft PE would crash almost 100% of the time after tapping 'Play' on the Lumia 950 and XL (and only the 950 and XL, I should emphasise), was fixed in an update just a week or two after the phones launched.
    I don't know the exact causes either. It's possible that Minecraft PE always had an error, which due to peculiarities in earlier versions of the OS went unnoticed, until it was surfaced by W10M, forcing the developer to go and fix it. It could also be one of a thousand other things. I don't know. What I do know is that if the mentioned problems are a result of hardware incompatibilities, then W10M is an utter failure of an OS, as those are precisely the sort of things app developers shouldn't have to update their apps for. That is all I was taking issue with.
    Last edited by a5cent; 12-24-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    12-24-2015 02:10 PM
    I believe the silent majority aren't having these issues either.
    Probably better to call them the "silent minority", bearing in mind how many (sic) phones in the world are running W10M right now.
    Jonnie LasVegas likes this.
    12-24-2015 02:27 PM
    Harsh review. The negative tone is strong yet he doesn't actually mention that many bugs when you listen properly.

No idea why he counts Windows Phone 8 games crashing on Windows 10 Mobile as a problem with the phone when it's obviously a developer oversight that can and has been fixed with app updates (see Minecraft).
    Because the average punter doesn't know or care about that. If the app won't run on W10M, it shouldn't be in the W10M Store.
    a5cent, Petru Moldovan and mousz like this.
    12-24-2015 02:30 PM
    Because the average punter doesn't know or care about that. If the app won't run on W10M, it shouldn't be in the W10M Store.
    Here's a curious thing; the reviewer complains that apps are in the store but unstable, while also complaining that apps are in the store and labelled as incompatible. Would he be happy either way? Or would he still just single out apps to use as an example?

Nonetheless, the only game I'm aware of that 'won't run' was patched so it does, and the rest crash so infrequently a bit of dev love could probably erase the issues altogether. I certainly have yet to see a developer exclaim "Windows 10 is terrible, it's impossible to get my game working!".
    RhinoFreak and editguy like this.
    12-24-2015 03:05 PM
    Funny how the Windows Central audience credits iphone bloggers with high praise when they review Windows Phone and call it a loser.
    editguy likes this.
    12-24-2015 04:09 PM

LOL OK

I couldn't have taken a pic faster after stopping record on a 4k video... no lag or freeze.

Sorry, my phone works great.
    Nothing?
    12-24-2015 04:16 PM
    Funny how the Windows Central audience credits iphone bloggers with high praise when they review Windows Phone and call it a loser.
    It has nothing to do with whether the phone is called a loser or not.

A person who thinks the final score (good or bad) is what determines the quality of a review (good or bad) is the quintessential example of a fanboy. What is important is not the final score, but how the reviewer arrived at their conclusions! The reasoning, knowledge and understanding that brought the reviewer to their conclusion is what counts! In this case, there is absolutely nothing we could point to that would indicate ignorance or bias. The reviewer knows and understands WP better than most other reviewers out there, and almost everything that is criticized is shown in the video. You can't criticize the reviewer for doing their job well... if that leads to a poor score, then so be it.
    Last edited by a5cent; 12-24-2015 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    12-24-2015 04:35 PM
    Nothing?
    It's only the other way round that triggers an error, and only if the phone is still 'adding finishing touches' to the last photo taken when you start recording.
    12-24-2015 04:45 PM
    It has nothing to do with whether the phone is called a loser or not.

A person who thinks the final score (good or bad) is what determines the quality of a review (good or bad) is the quintessential example of a fanboy. What is important is not final score, but how the reviewer arrived at their conclusions! The reasoning, knowledge and understanding that brought the reviewer to their conclusion is what counts! In this case, there is absolutely nothing we could point to that would indicate ignorance or bias. The reviewer knows and understands WP better than most other reviewers out there, and almost everything that is criticized is shown in the video. You can't criticize the reviewer for doing their job well... if that leads to a poor result, then so be it.
    Its not just this post but many like it. If my daily drive is an Iphone and pick up a Windows to "review". All that can happen is how well is stacks up with what you know on Iphone. Period. Same with those that love to modify an android home screen. Can't do that on iphone or Windows phone. It loses points on that alone. Microsoft powers up Windows Phone with all of the hardware everyone is screaming about, and that isn't good enough because its "uninspiring". My guess is, WC has a few more years of this yet.
    tgp, a5cent, HeyCori and 2 others like this.
    12-24-2015 05:19 PM
    It's only the other way round that triggers an error, and only if the phone is still 'adding finishing touches' to the last photo taken when you start recording.
    Nope. Just tried that, no errors. Even tried taking a picture then immediately shooting in slow motion, no error.
    12-24-2015 05:30 PM
    Its not just this post but many like it. If my daily drive is an Iphone and pick up a Windows to "review". All that can happen is how well is stacks up with what you know on Iphone. Period. Same with those that love to modify an android home screen. Can't do that on iphone or Windows phone. It loses points on that alone. Microsoft powers up Windows Phone with all of the hardware everyone is screaming about, and that isn't good enough because its "uninspiring". My guess is, WC has a few more years of this yet.
    I'm not going to disagree with any of that. I just don't think it applies to this particular review. I do think it applies to many, if not most, others.
    Jazmac likes this.
    12-24-2015 05:47 PM
    The review was spot on. Its what it feels like in a neutral point of view. There is no doubt about its potential but its far too immature for an official release and for the likes of android and iphone. As a windows phone user I feel insecure about the OS no wonder developers are not so keen in updating or releasing their apps. I think they too are waiting just like I am to see the full potential of the OS may be they too are aware of the app crashes and dont want to release apps early and get negative reviews.
    12-24-2015 10:21 PM
    Exactly. IOS games and apps often aren't always compatible with new ios versions till developer update them.

Also keeping in mind, aren't some of these apps made for windows phone 7 Aka 2010?
    Thats a different story in other platforms developer support is immediate. But that's not the case with WP we have apps that havent seen an update for years or never intend to come out of beta.
    12-24-2015 10:25 PM
    I think people should buy these phones because they are great products and the os, while quirky, is quite good.
    SAying no one should buy this is basically a bit close minded and arrogant because for many people these products work well and meet their needs.
    Professional beta testers? MS should be paying us to try out their half-baked table scraps.
    theefman likes this.
    12-24-2015 11:54 PM
    I hope you're referring to the verge
    12-25-2015 12:00 AM
    That sounds good but...

...can you point to things in the review posted in this thread that reveal the reviewer came to his conclusions because he was more familiar with an iPhone instead of a Windows Phone?
    920Walker likes this.
    12-25-2015 08:23 AM
    ...and #3, pound on MS for doing any or all of the things mentioned in the article. Then apply the same rigid guidelines to the media lovelies, iPhone 6 , and the Samsung Galaxies. Do you not see the same types if issues with them? If W10 is buggy and not ready for prime time, then neither are they. Don't chastise MS for stealing your money, without doing the same to the others. Bottomline, if you're honest about it, there are no phones that meet this bar.
    ArtificiallyYours likes this.
    12-25-2015 10:41 AM
211 12345 ...