I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I stand corrected, now that I've actually switched to android, I prefer outlook, onenote and Cortana on W10M. And of course I prefer W10M over android. Contacts are kind of a pain as well since I'd like to be using my outlook contacts for calls and texts. Instead, they have to be synced with google. Yuck.
I try to evangelize to anyone who'll listen to try the BlackBerry Hub apps for Android. Mail, Contacts and Calendar are as close to legacy OS10 as it gets. I keep Google in handcuffs and the only item I keep synced are apps. No way I trust Google with my PIM.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I started using edge on android since it has gone beta. I lolololove it! All of my history and favorites transferred quick, and passwords. If Microsoft is adapting android then im all for it. I also downloaded the Microsoft launcher. Feels like being home.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
For those on android, what maps apps do you use?

One of the biggest drawcards for WP was offline maps, which from what I understand, still isn't really a feature of google maps.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site

One of the biggest drawcards for WP was offline maps, which from what I understand, still isn't really a feature of google maps.

Try HERE maps. I use it just because I despise Google. It's obviously not as good as google maps, but it get's the job done... And, you can download entire states.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Google Maps has an offline option in the USA.
aba2b65356a9406d061b2e1040859ca8.jpg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.maps

Troy Tiscareno

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site

Google Maps offers offline use, you just need to download the portions of the map you intend to use ahead of time, and then you'll be regularly notified to update them to keep them current. It also saves mobile bandwidth.

I work in the SF Bay Area of California, and I've downloaded the whole Bay Area to my phone, so I can map and route even if I'm in an area with no data. Obviously you get better route information (with traffic analysis) with data, but it still works otherwise.

anon(10321802)

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
One thing Windows 10 Mobile does have going for it is regular bug fixes and security updates. And they will continue at least through the end of next year.

Most Android phones never get any updates at all.

In light of security threats like the KRACK WiFi vulnerability that are coming to light, I'd choose a Windows 10 Mobile device over an Android device that never or rarely gets updates.

It was refreshing to learn that Microsoft had already patched Win10 devices against the KRACK exploit. Meanwhile Apple's patch is still in beta, and Google says an Android patch will be released "in the coming weeks."

Considering tech companies were made aware of KRACK in July, Microsoft seems to have taken it more seriously than the others.

I'm currently using a Moto E4 running Android Nougat 7.1.1 with the May 2017 security update. I'd be surprised if Motorola (Lenovo) released a security update for it at all. Doesn't make me feel very confident about Android security.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
What a silly statement. Most Android phones still receive updates even if they are just security patches on older phones. You really need to do your homework.

really?? my LG G6 I've had for 5 months has yet to receive 1 update... NOT 1... My X3 has gotten 2 updates in the 2 months I've had it... what was that about needing to do homework?

anon(10321802)

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
What a silly statement. Most Android phones still receive updates even if they are just security patches on older phones. You really need to do your homework.
I have. In fact, I just wrote a blog post about it and would be happy to PM you a link (I'm apparently not allowed to in this post).

Most Android phones in existence never or rarely receive updates.

Many of the big, popular brands are getting better at it with their newer phones. Google, BlackBerry, Nokia, Samsung, LG, and Motorola all issue regular security updates on at least some of their phones.

But what about HTC? ZTE? Huawei? Even Motorola and Samsung don't update all their phones.

And I would be surprised if phones older than 2 years, besides the Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, and BlackBerry Priv, are getting regular monthly security patches.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Um, no. I keep a ZTE Zmax Pro to stay on top of Android shenanigans and it's still stuck on Marshmallow and hasn't seen a security update this year. Oh, and I bought it new from T-Mobile this year.

Goldn3agle

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm sticking with my 930 and my 950XL for the foreseeable future, because I don't really have a choice.
Support aside, why would I use a flimsy device with a crappy OS or a stupidly over-priced walled garden? :p

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I think of it in terms of future proofing. My app usage is generally as follows.

Productivity: Office* and assorted MS apps*
Email/Cal: Outlook*
Browser: Edge*
Assistant: Cortana*
Owned Music: Groove*
Streaming Music: Pandora* or Spotify
Podcasts: Grover Pro*
Wearable: Garmin*
Messaging: Whats App, Messenger*, Skype*
YouTube: MyTube*
Social: FB*, Instagram*, Twitter*, Ouga*, and Edge (for G+)
Banking: Edge
Various Science Apps
Ereader: Kindle, Kobo*, Freda+*, Edge*

These apps cover probably 90% of my phone use and all those with * are UWP so no matter what flavor of W10 it is in the future, they will work and be pretty much the same.

DwarfyKing

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
Well I might be arrested for this but I am sticking with my Lumia 950 XL for now. I do can anything I would like to do with it. All the social media apps I need is on it. It has a damn great camera. So as long as it is supported until 2019 I see no need to get rid of it so far. Also I love the Operating system. Very solid and secure.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have. In fact, I just wrote a blog post about it and would be happy to PM you a link (I'm apparently not allowed to in this post).

Most Android phones in existence never or rarely receive updates.

Many of the big, popular brands are getting better at it with their newer phones. Google, BlackBerry, Nokia, Samsung, LG, and Motorola all issue regular security updates on at least some of their phones.

But what about HTC? ZTE? Huawei? Even Motorola and Samsung don't update all their phones.

And I would be surprised if phones older than 2 years, besides the Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, and BlackBerry Priv, are getting regular monthly security patches.

Huawei are supposed to be one of the worst but I've still had 3 updates in the 4 months I've owned my P10. I'm on the September security patch too so it's not even far behind at all.
You can't say most or all Android phones get very few updates or at all when theres quite a few manufacturers over there that put stock or close to stock Android on the phones. The likes of Google Nexus/Pixel, All Nokia phones, One Plus, Sony, Essential, Blackberry, etc all get monthly updates and feature updates almost as soon as they're available

I don't disagree about older phones (a year or older) getting few or any updates because I'm not that naive. But it's certainly not black and white where all or no phones get all or no updates at all.
Much of that is down to the individual manufacturers themselves not the actual platform. They choose whether or not to bother passing on the updates to the users but I'm guessing it's too much hassle for them. Microsoft update Windows regularly but how many updates have Alcatel, Acer or HP actually rolled out to their Windows phones with features or bug fixes for their phones in particular? Very little

Tjalsma

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Off and on I've switched from Windows Phone but never completely left. I've always had at least a few laying around.

I switched to an iPhone and sold it to go back to my Lumia 900, then I switched to Android and sold it to go back to my Lumia 925, then I switched to an iPhone and sold it to go back to my Lumia 950, then I switched to Android and bought an Alcatel Idol.

The main reason for me is that I kind of just hate people. I don't have FB because people agitate me, I don't really post on Instagram because I don't care about that, I do post on Twitter from time to time. I find that having access to all of those apps and finding the need to use them because I spent $500+ on a phone, primarily social apps is nothing but a nuisance for me. I guess, in the end, I hate myself so I'll stick with Windows Mobile...until I switch to something else and hate it.

What is astonishing to me is how everyone who's been holding on for so long are just NOW jumping ship. I mean, we've been in this position for years now. Literally nothing has changed.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Off and on I've switched from Windows Phone but never completely left. I've always had at least a few laying around.

I switched to an iPhone and sold it to go back to my Lumia 900, then I switched to Android and sold it to go back to my Lumia 925, then I switched to an iPhone and sold it to go back to my Lumia 950, then I switched to Android and bought an Alcatel Idol.

The main reason for me is that I kind of just hate people. I don't have FB because people agitate me, I don't really post on Instagram because I don't care about that, I do post on Twitter from time to time. I find that having access to all of those apps and finding the need to use them because I spent $500+ on a phone, primarily social apps is nothing but a nuisance for me. I guess, in the end, I hate myself so I'll stick with Windows Mobile...until I switch to something else and hate it.

What is astonishing to me is how everyone who's been holding on for so long are just NOW jumping ship. I mean, we've been in this position for years now. Literally nothing has changed.
You must be a blast at parties. 😝

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon