08-30-2015 02:52 AM
93 123 ...
tools
    I was reading through the comment section of this article. Everyone seems to bash Windows 10.
    Windows 10 market share growth slows to just ten per cent ? The Register Forums
    08-25-2015 02:43 AM
    Well, to be honest, in Europe Win10 is getting to be a big disaster. In Germany, where I live, the reputation is already flat out destroyed due to the privacy concerns and unknown data being sent etc. It's even worse than Win8. Many people I know are instantly switching back to Win7 reverting the Win10 license. MS messed it up big this time... The future of Windows is very uncertain in Europe because trust to MS has really took a hit. Switzerland and Russia are even considering banning Windows 10 for governmental authorities.
    Hard times for MS are incoming, that's for sure.
    And due to this, in Germany Windows 10 Mobile will fail hard. Many are predicting this already.

It is simply sad to see that MS seems to continue making mistakes after another...
    Last edited by a5cent; 08-25-2015 at 04:51 AM. Reason: profanity removed
    08-25-2015 04:24 AM
    The real percent increase for Windows 10 will be near the end of the free upgrade offer, i.e about 1 year from now. At this moment people dont feel obligated to switch as there is no harm in NOT upgrading.
    buddy007 and gwinegarden like this.
    08-25-2015 06:41 AM
    Personally I haven't seen this negativity towards windows 10, but I have seen people thinking that they will hold off upgrading because they have a year to do that.

I think its more likely to be a slow news day...
    a5cent, Ed Boland, jmshub and 2 others like this.
    08-25-2015 06:46 AM
    Switzerland and Russia are even considering banning Windows 10 for governmental authorities.
    You got a source for that? I have not yet seen any article making specifically that claim. All I've read are that some European nations (including Switzerland) are investigating whether W10 conforms to their (often stricter) digital privacy laws, which is really just business as usual. The only difference is that W10, as an OS that integrates many cloud based services, gives these agencies a lot more ground to cover. I've seen lists of everything being investigated and all of it is directly traceable to a viable service ("voice data" for Cortana on W10, "caller metadata" to sync contacts and call history between devices using Skype, etc etc). Even if one of these countries were to find violations, there is no way that would result in a ban. Your claims sound dubious to me.

As always, the real question is not whether data is exchanged (exchanging data is technically required for any online service, including e-mail that people have been fine with for over a decade), but whom that data legally belongs to after being exchanged and what MS are legally allowed to do with it. Most of the boulevard tech press articles I've seen don't have staff capable of understanding those nuances, nor do they care, as their performance is measure by clicks rather than by truth or technical competence.

If MS is legally allowed to use that data for monetization purposes, and they are creating behavioral profiles like Google is, even for enterprise Windows users, then they do have a vary unfortunate issue on their hands. It would be hard to believe they stepped into that though. So far I've not read that. There is a lot of click-bait trash going around, and it's unfortunate that a lot of people will fall for this, but that's the world we live in today.
    Last edited by a5cent; 08-26-2015 at 05:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    08-25-2015 06:57 AM
    Russia News - Lawmaker requests Russian government to ban Windows 10 in state agencies
    "Vice-Speaker of the State Duma, lower house of the Russian parliament, Nikolai Levichev has urged the Russian authorities to check the activities of Microsoft Corporation in Russia and prohibit the use of Windows 10 operating system in state agencies."

almost every newspaper in my country (Austria) is reporting on privacy concerns about Windows 10. there's a lot of FUD going on here and people are afraid so they won't update their systems
    Tom Snyder and Visa Declined like this.
    08-25-2015 07:08 AM
    In Germany, where I live, the reputation is already flat out destroyed due to the privacy concerns and unknown data being sent etc.
    I find that kind of ironic, considering that Germany is a very strong market for Android. I'm not a conspirator against Google (I use Android myself), but Google has that same reputation.
    08-25-2015 07:12 AM
    Russia News - Lawmaker requests Russian government to ban Windows 10 in state agencies"[/I]

almost every newspaper in my country (Austria) is reporting on privacy concerns about Windows 10. there's a lot of FUD going on here and people are afraid so they won't update their systems
    The idea that a semi-authoritarian big-brother state like Russia has a problem with consumer privacy protections is laughable. Russia obviously has reasons for their actions, namely their ever expanding efforts to nurture their own semiconductor and software industry. They aim to reduce their technological dependence on the west, and MS is an obvious target for such endeavors. That's all understandable. Just the way they sell it is a bit of a joke. Russia's motivations are purely political and are completely unrelated to the issues being raised in western Europe.

I'd be far more interested in Austria's stance on the issue.
    Last edited by a5cent; 08-25-2015 at 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling
    08-25-2015 07:17 AM
    The idea that a semi-authoritarian big-brother state like Russia has a problem with consumer privacy protections is laughable. Russia obviously has reasons for their actions, namely their ever expanding efforts to nurture their own semiconductor and software industry. They aim to reduce their technological dependence on the west, and MS is an obvious target for such endeavors. That's all understandable. They way they sell it is just a bit of a joke. Russia's motivations are purely political and are completely unrelated to the issues being raised in western Europe.

I'd be far more interested in Austria's stance on the issue.
    well, there's no official statement of Austrian politics or authorities about Windows 10, but only the bad press in newspapers. I could give you many links to Austrian online newspapers but they are all in German of course
    a5cent likes this.
    08-25-2015 07:24 AM
    I find that kind of ironic, considering that Germany is a very strong market for Android. I'm not a conspirator against Google (I use Android myself), but Google has that same reputation.
    Yeah, makes no sense to me either. I doubt most of western Europe is all that worried about potential violations of their citizens privacy. Switzerland may be an exception, but I'm skeptical about that one too. What I do think they are worried about is the privacy of corporate and government entities. Windows is an important part of such entities IT infrastructure. Governments will require that such installations can be easily, reliably and securely locked down, i.e. prevented from exchanging data with U.S. servers, and/or prevented from accessing cloud services altogether.

For enterprise customers that should be the default setup. I could imagine MS getting into trouble if it isn't. For Android (or any other mobile OS) this just isn't as important, as such devices aren't part of the IT backbone of such organizations.
    tgp likes this.
    08-25-2015 07:29 AM
    well, there's no official statement of Austrian politics or authorities about Windows 10, but only the bad press in newspapers. I could give you many links to Austrian online newspapers but they are all in German of course
    I'm in Switzerland, so German is fine too ;-)

We have our fair share of trash media too, so I don't need any more of that. What I'm interested in is something more substantial, which explains a government's positions on W10 while addressing the issues I raised in post #5. That is something I have not yet seen.
    08-25-2015 07:39 AM
    Well it's not as hated as windows 8 lol
    tgp, Maxy12 and TheLumaniac like this.
    08-25-2015 07:43 AM
    No. What a stupid question.
    Maxy12 and TheLumaniac like this.
    08-25-2015 08:07 AM
    I am also from Austria and I don't see any massive negative press for Windows 10.
    Maxy12 likes this.
    08-25-2015 09:00 AM
    08-25-2015 10:52 AM
    Well, to be honest, in Europe Win10 is getting to be a big disaster. In Germany, where I live, the reputation is already flat out destroyed due to the privacy concerns and unknown data being sent etc. It's even worse than Win8. Many people I know are instantly switching back to Win7 reverting the Win10 license. MS messed it up big this time... The future of Windows is very uncertain in Europe because trust to MS has really took a hit. Switzerland and Russia are even considering banning Windows 10 for governmental authorities.
    Hard times for MS are incoming, that's for sure.
    And due to this, in Germany Windows 10 Mobile will fail hard. Many are predicting this already.

It is simply sad to see that MS seems to continue making mistakes after another...
    I want to see your sources.

Also, the privacy concerns are of no concern when MS is doing nothing they and other OS's haven't done before. The terms and agreement specifies that MS has the right to scan through MS own IP (ie MS store and Xbox content), not anything else on the user's drives. THIS is a good read and explains it nicely in a way for everyone to understand. Other sources like MS's own T&A should also be read. You would think that with Europe collective intelligence being superior (/s) to the U.S. that they wouldn't fall for FUD so easily.
    08-25-2015 02:53 PM
    Russia News - Lawmaker requests Russian government to ban Windows 10 in state agencies
    "Vice-Speaker of the State Duma, lower house of the Russian parliament, Nikolai Levichev has urged the Russian authorities to check the activities of Microsoft Corporation in Russia and prohibit the use of Windows 10 operating system in state agencies."

This is the same nation who for a while now wants to throw Microsoft out in favor of its own in-house OS. Oh, which reminds me, it is also the same nation who also wants to toss out anything Apple and Android in favor to develop its own smartphone platform, called Sailfish or Sailboat or something. Russia will say what they want. Nothing to see here, move along.....
    Maxy12 likes this.
    08-25-2015 02:59 PM
    I feel this thread deserves a Windows Me mention.
    milkyway and elitejedimaster like this.
    08-25-2015 03:23 PM
    OMG Russia is bad mouthing MS for being Totalitarian Dictators. Next thing you know Stalin will be calling Putin a Nazi Communist....or vice versa.
    08-25-2015 04:24 PM
    I've only come across positive or neutral articles. it seems the majority of users are positive about it.New study shows more people love Windows 10 than hate it | Windows Central

The whole alleged privacy issue is a shame and I'm sure it's going to put some people off. I hope Microsoft release a statement clarifying this issue just for peace of mind.

I'm really enjoying Windows 10.
    Last edited by agd87; 08-30-2015 at 08:19 AM.
    Tsang Fai and Maxy12 like this.
    08-25-2015 04:52 PM
    Bored of the thread already! I get bored of these "ALL OF WINDOWS IS GOING TO END" threads. Windows isn't ending.
    Not even going to elaborate, as you already know my reasoning or you're on the other side of the argument and refuse to accept rationality.
    Good day to all of you!
    08-25-2015 04:57 PM
    No organization in their right mind is going to install W10 any time soon anyway. Most agencies and corporations that I've seen are still on Win7/Win2008R2. It will take some time for people to study the OS and learn how to tweak it to their needs. For a start I would guess most will turn off Cortana, OneDrive and all the other cloud stuff. MS is usually pretty good about working with larger customers to make things work the way they want it to.
    08-25-2015 06:00 PM
    Windows ME
    08-25-2015 06:34 PM
    Shame the media had to jump all over the anti-piracy and user-data sharing bullsh!t then ended up to be exaggerated paranoia. And of course few news sources actually went back and said 'We were wrong, disregard' so the public still believes it all.
    08-25-2015 07:10 PM
    MS still hasn't launched the next wave of updates. It's fixing bugs and working on issues and then it will once again start the upgrade process for more people. So yah obviously it slowed down. The privacy concerns have been proven dubious and it's just paranoid people trying to bring it down. Have you seen android in the news lately? New apps that are gaining full root control of devices and bypassing all security among other issues.

Mobile 10 on the other hand is likely doomed if MS doesn't change things before the roll out. It's way too all over the place. The idea that they are testing different UI variations on people just sounds silly because some of the UI changes I have seen recently are so bad that no one in their right mind will like them. Here's something I wrote somewhere else:

Onedrive app is a great example of disaster. You have a bar at the bottom with some common functionality. Then you also have an ellipses that pops up some additional settings like create a folder and refresh... wait what? Why isn't this just right in the app bar? Ok, now it also has a hamburger menu. So you open it up and you look and you think, where the hell is the settings? Oh... way to the right side is a cog that is typically used for settings. Why isn't it just in the general area of the hamburger menu. There's also 2 lines in opposite direction that is where you can look at your transfers. Once again why isn't this just in the regular portion of the hamburger menu? It is all over the place. And people who use ios will not like it. Have you seen onedrive for IOS? It actually looks normal and easy to understand.

Photos app has a bar at the bottom. 2 options and an ellipses. The ellipses shows a cog with settings and your account. Why not just add this to the bar? It's completely empty. Why do you need to put it in a separate menu that opens up after hitting ellipses. It's just absolutely atrocious.

So this is what I am talking about. Everything is all over the place. And I get it that this is a preview and they may just be testing things out on us. But the above examples don't need to be tested. They are bad, Microsoft should know they are bad.
    rayf888 and E Lizzle like this.
    08-25-2015 07:48 PM
93 123 ...