10-03-2017 02:50 PM
73 123
tools
    You may have noticed that Windows Central looks rather different today. That's because we just launched a redesigned, refreshed and rejiggered Windows Central home page. (Click here for details on the changes.) We love it already. But we also know that we (or you) are likely to come across minor issues during the coming days.

This thread is THE place to share any bugs or quirks you come across, as well as general feedback on what you think of the fruits of our design team's labors. Good, bad, ugly — we want to hear it all. But please try to provide constructive criticism. Nobody likes a troll, not even their mothers. Thanks.
    David Lundblad and iSingBass like this.
    09-19-2017 10:34 AM
    Well, change is good but it will be a while before I getting used to the new flow of the web-site. Previously it was mainly scrolling vertically until I hit the post old which I had read. Now it seems everything is divided into sections and you have to find what to read and what not to. The vertical scrolling flow is changed to vertical-horizontal and find what you need to read.
    David Lundblad and FoG_Uriel like this.
    09-19-2017 10:45 AM
    The new website is pretty and responsive. I've long turned off Adblock for WindowsCentral. Hopefully you guys get to improve the app as dramatic as the site. Great job with the site though!
    TechsUK and David Lundblad like this.
    09-19-2017 10:55 AM
    With Edge (insider build) the Most recent section isn't rendering properly single-column instead of double. Also the Best Windows/2-1/VPN/Laptops/X Box one section seems out of place at the top of the site.
    David Lundblad and F4lco like this.
    09-19-2017 10:56 AM
    Sorry, I kinda hate it. Its organized, but its worse now. Now I have to scroll to each section to see whats new, and whats this banner guide section at the top that takes up so much space???

Honestly it would have been better if you guys had a categories banner, and just kept the same layout or tweaked it a little....it flowed so well before....
    09-19-2017 10:59 AM
    I get it that it's organized better. it still just doesn't feel right.
    I liked scrolling thru and finding nuggets here and there that maybe weren't in my wheel-house. Meh.
    Last edited by mayconvert; 09-19-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    steve_w_7 and F4lco like this.
    09-19-2017 11:00 AM
    Sorry, I kinda hate it. Its organized, but its worse now. Now I have to scroll to each section to see whats new, and whats this banner guide section at the top that takes up so much space???

Honestly it would have been better if you guys had a categories banner, and just kept the same layout or tweaked it a little....it flowed so well before....
    Hopefully you will find respite here https://www.windowscentral.com/blog :)
    iSingBass likes this.
    09-19-2017 11:01 AM
    I like the concept except for one thing....why put the 'Most Recent' hub all the way at the bottom? As it ismost recent why not keep that hub front and center?
    09-19-2017 11:06 AM
    I like the concept except for one thing....why put the 'Most Recent' hub all the way at the bottom? As it ismost recent why not keep that hub front and center?
    I agree with this.

I didn't like it on iMore but on Windows Central, it works great for me. I have no interest in the gaming stuff but I am interested in apps and phones so this makes it easier for me.
    David Lundblad and N_LaRUE like this.
    09-19-2017 11:09 AM
    We have "Most recent" hubs at the top and bottom of the page. It's one of the very first sections.
    09-19-2017 11:09 AM
    The font for headlines makes my head swim. Some letters, the "a", the "o", the "c" and the "S" in particular, are lower than all the other characters. It looks quite odd.
    09-19-2017 11:19 AM
    Needs a dark theme.
    09-19-2017 11:24 AM
    more hard to find a article...
    techiez, F4lco, steve_w_7 and 1 others like this.
    09-19-2017 11:30 AM
    Like the iMore site, the image in the left column of the (top) Most Recent section is squeezed in so that it's too long vertically, at least in Internet Explorer it's that way. Also, why not make it two columns and take advantage of that whitespace? It's distracting.

EDIT: The picture in the left column renders correctly in Opera.

EDIT 2: All of the similar elements (large "featured" story links in columns) are stretched out that way.
    Last edited by iSingBass; 09-19-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    09-19-2017 11:30 AM
    I still can't click on the top left hamburger button to get a list of the other sites like android central... it just doesn't display.
    Benetnach and iSingBass like this.
    09-19-2017 11:32 AM
    For me, there's a Most Recent section near the top and at the bottom. Clicking on the Show More link up top takes you to the /blog section mentioned by David Lundblad above, which is pretty much the classic format, so that's not too bad imo.
    Last edited by iSingBass; 09-19-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Meant as a branch off of the message referenced, but apparently it's not organized that way here.
    09-19-2017 11:36 AM
    Do you guys ever plan to change the pink menu. It kills me eyes :O more so when looking at it from a AMOLED screen.
    09-19-2017 11:38 AM
    What a mess. Can I just have a straight list of news please?

Edit: found it! And changed my bookmark to windowscentral.com/blog :)
    steve_w_7 and F4lco like this.
    09-19-2017 11:38 AM
    Homepage checkbox feature isn't working for me in IE 11, Windows 7. It does work in Opera.
    09-19-2017 11:46 AM
    I still can't click on the top left hamburger button to get a list of the other sites like android central... it just doesn't display.
    Same experience for me in IE 11. The display shows the menu, but it behaves as though it's not there. It responds as though you're hovering/clicking on the content behind it (the main page).
    09-19-2017 11:53 AM
    Doesn't seem to be working as intended. I want to view recent articles and just scroll down endlessly until I notice the article that seem familiar -- meaning I've already read it.

Now I have click on the Recent Hub and then scroll. So a new design added an extra click. I figured that if I click on "Make this my homepage" it'll default to the "Recent Hub" next time I visit the site. That doesn't work either.
    09-19-2017 11:58 AM
    Another IE 11 thing: as it's been for quite some time, the "show more" (down arrow) control at the bottom of the /blog page renders like it's clickable, but it doesn't do anything when clicked. Stories expire for me at work.
    09-19-2017 12:00 PM
    Another IE 11 thing: as it's been for quite some time, the "show more" (down arrow) control at the bottom of the /blog page renders like it's clickable, but it doesn't do anything when clicked. Stories expire for me at work.
    Just to make sure we bug test right; are you using an AdBlocker at all?
    iSingBass likes this.
    09-19-2017 12:03 PM
    Just to make sure we bug test right; are you using an AdBlocker at all?
    Ahh, good question.
    I'm on the enterprise system at work and sure enough, mostly the site is ad-free.
    The stories and forum message pages do show the Taboola links at the bottom.

Sorry I don't know what they're doing specifically. I can say that the ad situation is the same in Opera 45.0, but all the controls seem to work there. So... I could maybe just use Opera. ;)
    David Lundblad likes this.
    09-19-2017 12:18 PM
    To be honest, I'm not a fan of the new look. I much prefer to view all your content sequentially, newest at the top. Navigating your new page is not user friendly, IMHO.
    09-19-2017 12:29 PM
73 123