Windows Phone having overall poor device built quality? ? a personal sage

Basti1900

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Is Windows Phone having overall poor device built quality to make devices cheap??

A personal saga from Germany ? a journey of two-three month so far:
Thanks to Amazon it is still happening.

0) Sold my iPhone 4s because I could not resist WP7.5 anymore (an I am still loving it!!).

1) Got a Nokia Lumia 800: Defective audio jack. Incoming call during audio playback caused very loud audio cracking. Also in call volume was at 10 (max) and device did not apply software loudness settings during calls.
Replaced
2) HTC Titan: Dead pixels
Replaced
3) HTC Titan: Dust behind front lens glass after 2 weeks of wearing in a CLEAN jeans pocket.
Replaced
4) HTC Titan: Dead pixels. Kept device 3)
Kept 3)
3) After another week the proximity sensor died. I was not able to hang up calls anymore due to the screen did not come back until the other person on the line did hang up.
Replaced
5) Nokia Lumia 900: Gathered massive dust / flour behind back camera lens glass after wearing in my clean jeans / kaki pocket for two weeks.
See: http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w435/Basti1900/Foto.jpg
Replaced
6) Nokia Lumia 900: Starts gathering dust behind back camera lens glass after wearing in my jeans / kaki pocket for 5 days!
Replaced
7) HTC Titan: Defective creaking speaker
.. waiting for replacement unit HTC Titan.

Stay tuned. The saga continues.

My the force be with me.

Basti

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
You can carry your phone however you wish, but keep in mind that smart phones are getting thinner and more fragile. Carrying a smart phone in your jean pocket may not be the safest way to carry it. Put a CD in you pocket, sit down as see how much the CD bends in your pocket.

My HTC 7 Trophy actually came with a warning about carrying the phone in your pocket:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-discussion/180214.htm

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I hate to be the one to break it to you but it's not the phones, it's you. It is statistically impossible for one person to get that many defective phones. The numbers just aren't with you on this. Sure, one of those phones may have been defective, but all of them, no way. I suspect a combination of overly high expectations combined with a mild case of OCD.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it time for a Samsung Phone :p, seems you have trouble with Nokia and HTC.

Else getting a hard case or side pouch for the phone would do it wonders has well and save it has well..

Basti1900

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You can carry your phone however you wish, but keep in mind that smart phones are getting thinner and more fragile. Carrying a smart phone in your jean pocket may not be the safest way to carry it. Put a CD in you pocket, sit down as see how much the CD bends in your pocket.

My HTC 7 Trophy actually came with a warning about carrying the phone in your pocket:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-discussion/180214.htm

I am 34 years old and I was wearing phones in my front pocket for more than 12 years now. As a matter of fact 3 different iPhones lived just fine in my different pockets.
So, that is my benchmark.
Beside the dust issue and the proximity sensor all other defetcs were noticable right after unboxing and 5 minutes of usage.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I am 34 years old and I was wearing phones in my front pocket for more than 12 years now. As a matter of fact 3 different iPhones lived just fine in my different pockets.
So, that is my benchmark.
Beside the dust issue and the proximity sensor all other defetcs were noticable right after unboxing and 5 minutes of usage.

I understand. Like i said you can carry your phone however you want. I was just trying to point out an issue with phones getting thinner and more fragile and a warning that came on my HTC 7 Trophy. that's all. :)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Have never returned a PDA/PocketPC/Phone for a hardware or software defect in nearly 20 years. And that would be about 40 devices by my count. My Surround and L900 both work beautifully. And, btw, generally I am a very unlucky person.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
My wife has bad luck with electronics in general...

- 1 Zune - hard drive bad after a month
- Xbox 360 with RRoD (I realize this was common, but it was a launch console that work great for years, until moving it to her house)
- 2 Nintendo DS with bad pixels
- 1 Pre with horrid Oreo effect
- 1 Pre with bad power button (fairly sure it was BB fault though, they coated it with some liquid when putting on a screen protector)
- Went through 4 TVs one time before she got one without bad pixels
- 1 iPhone 4s with noise canceling microphone canceling everything
- 1 Touchpad with cracked case around speaker
- Every notebook she has ever owned, the DVD drive takes a dump right out of warranty
- oh almost forgot, her latest purchase, kindle fire, has an odd issue. She isn't sure if it's a problem or not yet. The screen pushes in on the top left corner. Very "Mushy".

There is more and all that is only going back a couple of years. It seems if she buys an electronic device, we will have to make a second trip back to the store to replace it.

Last edited:

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a problem with the title of this thread. You imply that your phones are defective because of an OS? Say that HTC or Nokia are built poorly but blaiming physical problems on the operating system makes no sense.

Basti1900

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
No, its not about the OS which is beautiful.
My hypothesis is that because of MS requirements all Windows Phone are sort of low end phones in terms of resolution, storage.
Maybe there is a plan behind all this making Windows Phones as cheap as possible to make it affordable to replace peoples feature phones.
Maybe this is a root of bad build quality.. Can be that you have to pay 999 $ like Apple charges to get a phone without hardware flaws.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using the original L900 I got. Nokia has always had stellar build quality. I never had issues with hardware of Symbian devices. That is one big reason why I chose a Nokia Windows Phone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the HTC Trophy for almost a year and a half, and I haven't had any issues with it, maybe I could say something about the burned software keys on the bottom, but that doesn't bother me too much. Overall, I'm happy with it and hoping for the best with next phone.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
.. Can be that you have to pay 999 $ like Apple charges to get a phone without hardware flaws.
Don't forget that of that $999, Apple gets about two thirds, and the retailer/third party manufacturer split the rest. So at the end of the day, the wholesale cost of the devices are about the same. But Apple is swimming in a boatload of cash because people like to give away their hard earned cash. Its all about marketing. Nothing to do with the product.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital