Verizon has no intention of releasing WP 8.1

Maldias

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry, but none of this makes sense. You say you heard the iPhone 6 commercial over 8 dozen times. I was on hold today with verizon and happened to hear that commercial. Its around 15-20 seconds. Split by over 60-90 seconds of other commercials. This means you were on hold for over 2 hours. Hmm... that seems a little iffy to me.

So... I'm calling bogus on this "report".

The fact I never state a time spent on the phone with customer service and that also my topic is not the iPhone commercial does not devalue my statement that Verizon employees told me that WP 8.1 updates would not occur.

Read the topic.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Take it to Verizon and MS (only for leverage purposes, if they have any....) on Twitter, email, and Facebook. ******** about it here does nothing.

Maldias

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Take it to Verizon and MS (only for leverage purposes, if they have any....) on Twitter, email, and Facebook. ******** about it here does nothing.

Both have been notified, Verizon by my anger at their lack of support/update for WP (and I did spend almost 2 hours on the phone with their customer service this morning, mostly on hold, but on the phone). Bringing it here can do a lot. It bring this topic to the end user whom is getting screwed. These forums are most likely frequented by both Verizon and MS to see what is being said of them. It's when the end user lays down and dies that these companies are allowed to leave their promises unfulfilled. Microsoft announced it would update the phones from WP8 to 8.1. Verizon has refused to allow this.

The post here is to get more people to complain to both. It's a forum for WP users not just internet trolls.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I was under the impression that Verizon is on the good side when it comes to WP since they keep getting the best WP collection. I was considering them as an alternative to T-Mobile. That assumption led me to assume that they would then treat their customers right and push 8.1 to them. I guess AT&T is the only carrier doing right WP, somewhat.

One solution is that MS develops a Firmware DP... But that won't solve it for the majority of people that don't want to deal with DP...

It's too bad that some people out there paid $500 for a WP phone and are still stuck on 8.0. It hurts them and Windows Phone.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
At this point, Verizon Nokia users (and the few ATIV SE owners out there) could really make a difference by emailing and/or contacting customer support. And doing it often. WP users are a small user base at this point, and showing Big Red this user base is active will do 2 things:

1) Show WP users want updates, something Verizon is bad about regardless of OS.
2) Show WP users like their devices, hopefully resulting in more WP options in the future like what is there now. (And let's face it: Hardware wise, Verizon has easily the best options for WP right now.)

I see no downside to this. Communication is the only way to get across to these companies we do decide how we use our checkbooks based on how they treat us as users.

Heck, I might start a chat with a Verizon rep and inform them I am interested in moving from the Evil Empire (AT&T), but only if I get WP 8.1 on a Nokia and see what they say.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Verizon Tech Support...

I always take this with a grain of salt...Tech Support is something rarely, if ever, we use as a source. They say all sorts of half-truths and I would be cautious in believing this as they are not reliable. You are basically vouching for a stranger, not some spokesperson for the company.

Tech Support are just CS reps with a different badge. They are no more privy to the company plans than what they are told. They are not management, have no power, and are just cogs in a wheel (sorry, but true).

Microsoft and Verizon has been getting cozier lately, and let's not forget, it is Verizon who wanted/got the HTC One launch exclusivity. AT&T wasted no time to jump in saying they are getting it too (literally that night!).

If Verizon hates Windows Phone that much, I cannot see why they would commit resources to launching the One at all. Or launching the Icon. Or the Samsung ATIV SE. Or the Lumia 730 (in testing now). Are they doing enough for promotion and training sales reps? Of course not, but that is a different discussion than the updates.

No, the more likely, less dramatic explanation? They're just slow.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I always take this with a grain of salt...Tech Support is something rarely, if ever, we use as a source. They say all sorts of half-truths and I would be cautious in believing this as they are not reliable. You are basically vouching for a stranger, not some spokesperson for the company.

Tech Support are just CS reps with a different badge. They are no more privy to the company plans than what they are told. They are not management, have no power, and are just cogs in a wheel (sorry, but true).

Microsoft and Verizon has been getting cozier lately, and let's not forget, it is Verizon who wanted/got the HTC One launch exclusivity. AT&T wasted no time to jump in saying they are getting it too (literally that night!).

If Verizon hates Windows Phone that much, I cannot see why they would commit resources to launching the One at all. Or launching the Icon. Or the Samsung ATIV SE. Or the Lumia 730 (in testing now). Are they doing enough for promotion and training sales reps? Of course not, but that is a different discussion than the updates.

No, the more likely, less dramatic explanation? They're just slow.

Daniel, what are your thoughts on the "keeping WP8.1 exclusive to HTC for just a little while longer" line being touted in this thread?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, same here, Verizon WILL release 8.1/Cyan and I would bet Denim as well but, they are going to take their sweet time with it, as normal. Talk to the Android people with Samsung or LG phones, same thing, everyone else gets a update but, Verizon users with the same phone, a month or 2 later...Nothing new.

You can NEVER trust a CS, tech, or Sales person from Verizon regarding updates. They don't know anything, they never did, and never will, Verizon does not release that information to employees, only the people in the "inner circle" know about it and they would get in a lot of trouble (aka lose their job), if they leak anything.

If a Verizon employee seems to have a clue, it's because another employee told him/her, and that is like someone here telling me it's going to be released tomorrow, and I spread it as truth. They don't know till it's going to be released within a day or so (yea, if they say tomorrow, maybe)...

I just hope Verizon skips Cyan and goes right to Denim for at least my ICON....After the wait for Cyan, do you actually think I want to wait another 2-3 months to get Denim ?

Window Phone 9 is a whole different story....but, thank god for the Preview program :)

tajones65

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well..I did it...ported back to AT&T and activated my previously owned 1020. Had the newly activated phone check for updates. It immediately recognized updates available. Did the download & now running 8.1 on the phone. Been trying out the new features and all I can say is that this OS upgrade enables the Windows Phone OS to leapfrog over IOS & Android...what a great OS...I'm so impressed....

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a bridge for sale in New York for anyone who believes this BS. Anyone in VZW tech support who relayed any internal information would be fired the same day. About the only thing that you said which can be confirmed as true is the fact that you will get iPhone and Galaxy promos while on hold. On that front, so what? Apple, etc., pay for those spots. As to the subject of updates, VZW has been fast about some and slow about others. Since they are, for practical purposes, the only WP carrier not on GSM, VZW phones also really are not the same. Leaving everything aside though, is anyone really going to take seriously claims from someone who has never posted before and starts by claiming the most closed mouth tech people in the business "told them" their plans?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Both have been notified, Verizon by my anger at their lack of support/update for WP (and I did spend almost 2 hours on the phone with their customer service this morning, mostly on hold, but on the phone). Bringing it here can do a lot. It bring this topic to the end user whom is getting screwed. These forums are most likely frequented by both Verizon and MS to see what is being said of them. It's when the end user lays down and dies that these companies are allowed to leave their promises unfulfilled. Microsoft announced it would update the phones from WP8 to 8.1. Verizon has refused to allow this.

The post here is to get more people to complain to both. It's a forum for WP users not just internet trolls.
Often times, people don't send the flag up the right post, and instead just complain about it here. I just want to reiterate to people to focus their anger constructively and to the correct parties. I am a Verizon customer with an Icon, you are no more angry than I. Trust me.

With that said, don't forget about the Verizon forums also:
https://community.verizonwireless.com/community/windows

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Often times, people don't send the flag up the right post, and instead just complain about it here. I just want to reiterate to people to focus their anger constructively and to the correct parties. I am a Verizon customer with an Icon, you are no more angry than I. Trust me.

With that said, don't forget about the Verizon forums also:
https://community.verizonwireless.com/community/windows

Very nicely said. I agree.

That is not to say, that everyone with a legitimate honest opinion, shouldn't state it here, on these forums for our consideration.

I do my part by voting on UserVoice and now I'll contact the Verizon Community web site.

Contribute!

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Rather disappointing.

The only reason I'm with Verizon is because I have a family plan, and supposedly Verizon gets better coverage out here in the great plains, but I'm honestly debating if Sprint wouldn't be the better choice. Also I believe Verizon has the most expensive service plans of the major carriers and it doesn't offer an unlimited talk, text and data plan, or at least for family plans.

I'm quite happy with the Icon but it sounds to me like Verizon is hardly the most customer friendly carrier. Hopefully that'll change somewhere down the line.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I would always take what the tech support for carrier say with a massive bucket of salt as 90% of the time they do not know what they are talking about. This was more evident then ever recently when I was dealing with:
  • EE - my dad's 620 got his incoming calls blocked again.
  • O2 - my phone now sits most of the time with little to zero reception despite being on a 4g, my contract price went up from ?20 to ?26 and to add pour more salt onto the wound they removed my loyalty discount (which was supposed to be indefinite as I have been a long time O2 customer with various contracts & countless referrals).
  • Vodafone - my mate who I convinced to get a unlocked 1520 moved to Vodafone recently and has been having issues with them since.

They all were reading from android manuals! :grincry: even the escalated support were no more helpful than a roast chicken. In the end I had to exercise their right to cancel under the goods & services act / distance selling regulations to get any where. My O2 plan ends next month and I am moving from O2 to Three as I personally haven't had any bad experience with them.

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Verizon's favoritism wasn't bought by Apple or Google in the way you seem to believe, but by the fact that the iPhone and high-end Android phones have earned them billions of dollars and millions of customers. WP is unproven in terms of generating appreciable numbers in users or revenue for them, so which phones/OS's would YOU support more?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Daniel hears you, Daniel doesn't care.

Why are you speaking for someone else?

Daniel most likely does care if Verizon releases this update in a timely manner. He's the EiC of the biggest WP8 community in the world. He wants Windows Phone market share to expand, and receiving timely updates from the largest US carrier is part of market share expansion.

And we have on pretty good word that the reason that Verizon Lumias do not yet have WP8.1/Cyan is because of the exclusivity deal with HTC on the HTC One M8 for Windows.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Why are you speaking for someone else?

Daniel most likely does care if Verizon releases this update in a timely manner. He's the EiC of the biggest WP8 community in the world. He wants Windows Phone market share to expand, and receiving timely updates from the largest US carrier is part of market share expansion.

And we have on pretty good word that the reason that Verizon Lumias do not yet have WP8.1/Cyan is because of the exclusivity deal with HTC on the HTC One M8 for Windows.

Typesofpeoplewhousefacebook_zps7b97c320.jpg
I know it says facebook but it applies to forums too
add the meme guy to this, I hope this answer your question

gBBIX7k.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon