Tough Decisions

xacious

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Im not sure how it works or who is to blame but for the third time around top WP devices are restricted to att. In my area the cheapest plan is 86.98 before tax. That's for 450 minutes unlimited text and 300mb of 4g internet. Imo that's a horrible deal. All other carriers have some flagship/hero phone (iPhone or Android) meanwhile if I want one for my os I have to change carriers. I want WP to succeed but I dont understand how they will compete with the lopsided way the phones land at the carriers. I have a choice of the 8x or the Nokia lumia 810. While the 8x is no slouch I worry about the enclosed battery. My hd7 has to be charged twice a day sometimes I've replaced the phone and battery and still have the same problem. The Nokia lumia 810 has exchangeable battery and expandable memory but it reminds me alot of my current phone in the looks department and has the same screen resolution :(. I came to WP after web os tanked id like to stick around but I dont like being forced into choosing a watered down 920 and a questionable HTC... Decisions...decisions...sigh

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
$86.98 before taxes with only 450 talk minutes? Really?! Reminds me of why I would never switch to AT&T. Well, it's one of the reasons. :dry If you're on T-Mobile and get decent service, I would stick with that.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Im not sure how it works or who is to blame but for the third time around top WP devices are restricted to att. In my area the cheapest plan is 86.98 before tax. That's for 450 minutes unlimited text and 300mb of 4g internet. Imo that's a horrible deal. All other carriers have some flagship/hero phone (iPhone or Android) meanwhile if I want one for my os I have to change carriers. I want WP to succeed but I dont understand how they will compete with the lopsided way the phones land at the carriers. I have a choice of the 8x or the Nokia lumia 810. While the 8x is no slouch I worry about the enclosed battery. My hd7 has to be charged twice a day sometimes I've replaced the phone and battery and still have the same problem. The Nokia lumia 810 has exchangeable battery and expandable memory but it reminds me alot of my current phone in the looks department and has the same screen resolution :(. I came to WP after web os tanked id like to stick around but I dont like being forced into choosing a watered down 920 and a questionable HTC... Decisions...decisions...sigh
I would hardly consider the 8X as a "questionable HTC" but if you're coming from the point of view that it hasn't stood the "test of time" (plus has a non-removable battery) then I guess I understand, although that is true for all WP8s, right?

You might want to go with the 810. It'll be a less expensive route to all the goodness of WP8 and although it's not your favorite in the "looks" department, you DO get a removable/swappable battery option AND expandable storage.

$86.98 before taxes with only 450 talk minutes? Really?! Reminds me of why I would never switch to AT&T. Well, it's one of the reasons. :dry If you're on T-Mobile and get decent service, I would stick with that.
Good advice, Metalchick.

xacious

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
My current HTC battery isn't that great which is why im worried about an enclosed battery with the 8x. From my understanding Nokia batteries are great so im not as worried. My larger point was the majority of the top tier phones continue to go to att and its been that way for a while. We still dont know where the 8s is going or who is going to have the Samsung. When att got the 900 and the titan my options were the radar and the lumia 710. It would be nice to have options I guess I shouldn't complain though it could be worse, I could be on sprints network.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
My current HTC battery isn't that great which is why im worried about an enclosed battery with the 8x. From my understanding Nokia batteries are great so im not as worried.
I see. To be honest I haven't owned a phone with a non-removable battery and I would worry about that, too. For example, my Focus had horrible battery life but putting a 1800mah one (instead of the 1500mah) gave it new life. That won't be an option with non-removable batteries :(.

My larger point was the majority of the top tier phones continue to go to att and its been that way for a while. We still dont know where the 8s is going or who is going to have the Samsung. When att got the 900 and the titan my options were the radar and the lumia 710. It would be nice to have options.
That's unfortunate because from my point of view T-Mobile has been more diligent in selling/promoting/supporting Windows Phone than AT&T has. BTW, we know that Verizon is getting the Samsung Odyssey, we just don't know if the Odyssey and ATIV S are the same. Well, at least I don't know :p.

I guess I shouldn't complain though it could be worse, I could be on sprints network.
Well if you're looking at it that way, absolutely. Must suck to be a WP fan stuck on a contract with Sprint.

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
there is the option to put a locked 920 on Straight Talk for $45 per month for unlimited talk, unlimited text and 2GB of data. at least that's what i intend to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon