Wireless charger chimes in the middle of the night after GDR2/Amber

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
The Wireless Charger stops charging when your phone gets too hot, best solution is to restart the phone so background processes stop looping and causing more heat. (also disable GPS at home. :) ).

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
It was, its just random, but just pick up the phone you'll see.

I know the phone may have gotten hot before Amber/GDR2 but that did not cause the chiming when sitting on the wireless charger.
Before Amber/GDR2 my phone never chimed while wirelessly charging unless the power dropped and came back.

anon7989605

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Subsuming this 3 pages: tons of people have this issue (+1 from me). Sounds like everybody is having it and a few of those have gathered here. It's obviously a software issue and Microsoft has done nothing about this? Then they don't care. It's been going on for months now.

I'm really not too happy with the Nokia D&S sale to Microsoft. But am already making plans which phone to move to. WindowsPhone is promising but has too many issues, this one here just adds to the list.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't see it as a Windows Phone software issue at all and until the companies are combined, it is not Microsoft's issue to fix. It's a Nokia firmware issue, possibly limited to the 920. Hopefully it will be fixed in the Black update. If anything, the combined company should help accelerate updates.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Huh I just thought my charging plate was dying. Well it probably is- I have two, and although both do this, one does it every 10 minutes. Hmmm

Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The Wireless Charger stops charging when your phone gets too hot, best solution is to restart the phone so background processes stop looping and causing more heat. (also disable GPS at home. :) ).

One issue that can cause it for sure, though I believe a bulk of the problem is an "allowed" discharge then Qi kicks in once the discharge reaches a certain point. Why wireless charging can't function like wired charging is beyond me.

anon7989605

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
So did any of you try a Software Reset (doesn't loose any data)?

* Turn off Lumia 920
* Press On|Off Button + loudness button to decrease volume for 10 seconds

Unsure if that helps or not. Has been working lately. Will closely observe this.

Last edited:

h_portal

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Activating Glance again seems to have solved my problem, now when it's 100% charged, the wireless charger blinks it's led as before, but phone doesn't chime, just like in GDR1. It's kind of weird as some people reported that turning off glance was the solution, but turning it on fixed it for me.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I turned glance off, and I am no longer getting the random sound. Odd. Guess I can't use glance. I am not going to touch it since all is better now. Hopefully an update can fix this issue. Wife is having the same problems so we will turn hers off too. Bummer, as I like the peek feature.

***Edit

Never mind. Started doing it again. This sucks. Guess I need to hunt down our plug in chargers. Can't stand being woke up 5-7 times a night!!

Last edited:

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't charge over night but don't get the random chime any more charging at my desk for a few hours when leaving about 1cm of the charger base sticking out from the bottom of the phone.

johnmcd8

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is the issue or not, but I was having the same problem using the original white charger that came with my phone; I use it at home downstairs in the entry way and it's plugged in 24/7. When I placed the phone on it it would chime every 10-15 minutes for an hour, then stop for a random period of time, then start again. However, I was traveling recently using a newer charging plate that I carry in my travel kit and never had the problem. I ended up ordering a new DT-900 (AT&T has them on sale for $25) and replaced the white one in my house and I haven't had the problem since. Maybe the charging plates go bad after a while and the timing just happened to roughly coincide with the Amber update?

Just a thought...

John

benwrk

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't really think so. My new Lumia 1520 works fine on a year old DT-900 plate that was bundled with my 920 back then. :shocked:

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Has Nokia been made aware of this issue?

I have contacted Nokia and they said (of course) they have not heard of this issue and will send me a replacement phone. I told them that it is not the phone, but the SW/FW update that caused this, and every phone will have the same issue. They assured me (sure...) that they would test the phone and send me a replacement, and I said fine. When we got the replacements (2) I knew it wouldn't chnage, but I went ahead and set one of the phone up anyway. It did not have GDR2 or Amber on it, so of course it worked perfectly. I then did the update to GDR3/Amber and as suspected, the bug/issue started up. This happens on 4 different 920's on 3 different wireless chargers.

We can no longer use the wireless charger at night because with two 920's charging, we are woken up numerous times. It is very frustrating, even to the point of just trashing the wireless chargers, which I have loved having since day one.

There is also a thread on Microsoft Answers Wireless charging issue since GDR2/Amber update - Microsoft Community

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes