Internet Sharing + MMS now working on AT&T 920 w/ USA T-Mobile SIM

KongsPhone

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Same here. ATT unlocked 920, updated to 8.1, MMS works but internet sharing doesn't. "there's no cellular data connection to share right now"

Yes, same message here: "Connection not shared. Internet sharing isn't currently available".

Rogers Lumia 920, 8.1. MMS working but no Internet Sharing. Tried an AT&T USA SIM (cut down) which may be the problem. Will try an old Swiss Card I had lying around next.

At least I don't get the blasted upsell message anymore!

========================NM, fixed.

Vodaphone PayGo settings.
Cut down standard SIM with a cutter and no problems.
Think I got the SIM off Amazon for $4.99 shipped.

Thank you, OP!

Last edited:

zabto

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Unlocked AT&T 920 with DevPreview of 8.1 works with the vodafone sim (Amazon link to it somewhere in this thread.)

I had previously tried it (pre -8.1) with Telus and it didn't work.

FourT2

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
So can anyone with 1020 please confirm that starting with a working setup on 8.0, updating to dev preview of 8.1 will not cause an issue with internet sharing? I finally got it working and would rather not mess it up since I really need internet sharing and I would not be able to go back to 8.0.

bfyk

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
With Developer Preview 8.1, Telus 1020, and no Access Point installed, I could only ever get 4G internet sharing to work.

I just re-installed Access Point(deleted it a while ago) to try these steps. I googled(or bing if you prefer) access point and followed the link. I tried to push install, but it didn't work so Windowsphone sent me a link where I successfully installed Access Point.

Reinstalling access point screwed up my internet sharing!

But before it did, I just tried Internet Sharing right after the Access Point reinstall. Voila! LTE internet sharing worked....ONCE!

Then I got the Message Add Internet Sharing.

Uninstalled Access Point using by changing the year to 2113. However, now Internet sharing is not working at all. @#$@#$

Doing a reset to see if that will fix the problem.

bfyk

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Reset the phone to my auto backup that was from 2 days ago. I didn't have Access Point installed in that backup(and will never again install that app). Now internet sharing works with 4g.

Tried turning it on and off several times. Shut down and started up again. sending this mail through t-mobile. Still works. I did have to re-enter my apn and my mms settings.

If I switch from 4g to LTE and reconnect, I can sometimes get LTE speeds. Got 27.76 Mbps from speedtest.net(website). Not going to mess with it anymore. It seems like once you have internet sharing connection through 4g and switch to LTE, you might be able to get an LTE connection.

I don't know that my little experiment will help anyone though(although I'd be wary of Access Point). Telus 1020, WP 8.1 Preview, T-Mobile.

FourT2

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I have an unlocked AT&T 1020 that I use on T-Mobile. Everything is working perfectly now so I don't want to mess up my config by going to 8.1 dev preview. Though I really want 8.1 on my phone. Decisions, decisions...

Alpo714

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello WP fans! I can confirm that that the Mexico TelCel sim card works with the Lumia 1520 internet sharing hack. I completed the steps provided by user "Trooters" and it appears that Internet sharing is completed without a hitch. If any of you are curious, I purchased this inactive SIM card from the website below. Unfortunately you'll have to spend a hefty $20 USD + shipping, in order to obtain one of these.

Link for TelCel SIM Card
Telcel SIM | Mexico SIM Card - Keep in touch with your relatives and business while traveling to Mexico

Scott Brazinski

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm this worked on my Verizon lumia 822 with a T-Mobile plan. I could not send mms or use internet sharing even though my plan includes both.

I used the UK orange prepaid sim from amazon. Now I have to figure out how to send mms on 3G and higher speeds.

wvanellis

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been able to get this to work with the 8.1 update?

I was able to get it working on my 1520; however, after the 1520 update, it no longer worked.

​I can't go through this fix, because the cellular menu no longer allows you to manually define APN and MMS settings. See below:

wp_ss_20140427_0001[1].pngwp_ss_20140427_0002[1].png

Sheldon Botha1

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, just a thank you and a fyi.
Lumia 1520.3 worked out the box with 8.1 dev preview with tethering.

Lumia 1020 unlocked from att did not until I found this.
Now for the where do I get a working international sim...
Thank the lord for Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HP...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2510046

The German o2 sim worked perfectly on 8.1 dev preview I am happy to report.

You will find the apn settings under carrier and then sim settings.

Thanks again guys

Sheldon

maverickreloaded

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been able to get this to work with the 8.1 update?

I was able to get it working on my 1520; however, after the 1520 update, it no longer worked.

​I can't go through this fix, because the cellular menu no longer allows you to manually define APN and MMS settings. See below:

View attachment 64735View attachment 64736

That's odd, I am still able to see my APN settings right under "Automatic". Maybe if you install Access Point, apply the APN settings, then restart from step 1 it will work.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Interesting -

So I had done the above procedure months ago and Internet Sharing worked fine since.

Moved to Windows Phone 8.1 last week and figuring this had been the most fragile OS feature, tried it and it was still completely intact through the upgrade.

Thank God I kept my O2 Chip.

Today, I had read in some other threads that while hard resetting was not required for 8.1, some had noticed a good lift in performance - I can say that I have experienced this as well.

However, the Internet Sharing capability is gone. So was MMS, but I got that working by simply retyping the MMS settings manually. It went away again when I installed Access Point but came back when I deleted the latter using the date trick.

Also tried the above to get rid of Network +, but still no sharing.

So it appears that I will have to use the foreign SIM again when I get home tonight.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
OK,

I did restore Tethering after my 8.1 Update + Hard Reset.

Here is one difference though - before starting any of this, start by first manually inputting the Internet and MMS settings in Settings..Cell&SIM. Reason is when you get to the step where you delete the Access Point after booting up the foreign SIM, 8.1 unlike 8 will not let you tinker with those settings when there is no SIM card installed.

I knew there was a risk and that meant I had probably lost the tethering capability, but I found out when I did shut down, inserted my T-Mobile SIM, and booted up, while access point was indeed gone, I went into Cell and SIM settings, and the settings I made before were present and active. When I then went to Internet Sharing, I was pleased to find it completely operational again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon