Internet Sharing + MMS now working on AT&T 920 w/ USA T-Mobile SIM

vartanarsen

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Guys, this will not work if i have no access to APN settings in Celluar Network section. I am using ATT GoPhone Sim Card in an unlocked and unbranded Lumia 920. My ATT GoPhone Plan explicitly allows tethering while my unbranded & unlocked Lumia 920 does NOT!..what the heck?

rudypoochris

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a dev 920 and am wondering what the best ROM to swap to would be. Currently my ROM doesn't support manual APN settings. I know that the Rogers ROM does, but I get dropped calls on that ROM rather frequently. Should. Just flash over to ATT ROM and if so, I will still get the pentaband functionality with LTE? Thanks!

gkulman

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased an unlocked 1520.3 and put it on a T-Mobile account. I got the usual 611 when I tried to use internet sharing.

I enrolled the phone in the M$ Dev program and started the 8.1 update. The phone settings were changed in the registration update step and I was then able to use internet sharing. Internet sharing continued to function after the 8.1 update and the latest maintenance update to the 12397 level.

While 8.1 is so much better than 8.0, there are issues which may make it difficult for anyone who needs to have the phone as their only one, survive the frustrations of problem solving and having it usable for daily use.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased an unlocked 1520.3 and put it on a T-Mobile account. I got the usual 611 when I tried to use internet sharing.

I enrolled the phone in the M$ Dev program and started the 8.1 update. The phone settings were changed in the registration update step and I was then able to use internet sharing. Internet sharing continued to function after the 8.1 update and the latest maintenance update to the 12397 level.

While 8.1 is so much better than 8.0, there are issues which may make it difficult for anyone who needs to have the phone as their only one, survive the frustrations of problem solving and having it usable for daily use.
What oother issuesare tyouhaving. I am in the same situation though my ionlydaily driver issues is the sucky music app. also, what is the usual 611 I am not familiar with that term. Did you follow the instructions in the beginning of this thread or did you deter? I have yet to get internet sharing to work

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE :::

Quick history. Bought Lumina 920 developer edition and have been unable to use internet sharing. Even the fixes prescribed in this post wouldn't work. They all are in reference to ATT bought Lumina 920 that have been unlocked for tmobile use in the USA. Even though it wouldn't work (it would always prompt me to upgrade my tmo package and no matter how many times I did it wouldn't work.) I would always see the windows phone as a hotspot from any device I used to check for Wi-Fi. Even when I was certain no other windows devices were anywhere near

- updated to 8.1 with no change. Still not working. Still tried the methods in this thread
- bought new unlcoed 1520 still no change. Did not try all of the methods in this thread. Mainly the one involving the new micro sd card
- all of a sudden that WiFi network that usually had a windows phone ssid now had a Obnoxious Phone SSID (that's the name of my new obnoxious 1520) even still WiFi wouldn't work
- one day about a week later I tried it and for no apparent rhyme or reason it actually worked. Out of no where it started to work and has been working ever since. Approximately 3 weeks now

BTW, when I talked to tmo about this almost a year ago they were more than useless. Ultimately they said it is a proprietary issue and they will not address it for one phone. Or the hand full of developer l920's out there. It wasn't worth it to them. Sad thing is once upon a time it did work off and on. Then Nokia updated the apps and I'm sure you all no the store. Point is now its working and sorry to say I have no clue why. Just happy it does. By the way I am running 8.1 on the new 1520

Stefan Zutt

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Very good, you have just made my day. I am owning a Lumia 1020, produced and branded by ATT, unlocked and otherwise working since July 2013. And now I was facing an urgent need for getting tethering to work.

Had some 5 or 6 phone calls with T-Mobile and ATT first and second level support today. ATT did ultimately state that this is exclusively a T-Mobile issue. And T-Mobile technical support had nothing better than advising me to organize a Windows Phone developer license for a fee they said would be around $100 and then find my way towards unlocking everything and all on 1 smartphone of my choosing, warning about technical challenges. Told them that I am already part of the free MS frequent phone software update program for developers and get the latest pieces automatically applied - they insisted that this would not be the same.

After a successful application of your guideline I suggest 2 changes/additions in your great script:

- For the date setting under part II, the functioning range seems to be rather constrained. On my first attempt I did quickly key in something around the year 2070. Instead of suggesting a deinstallation I got the AP software complaining about missing SIM chip. A second go with a date around 2150 brought other issues. My third attempt with current month and day in 2113 did ultimately work. Save the reader some stress by leaving out “(or something ridiculous)”.
- You can add “Vodafone Germany prepaid” for SIMs that did do the trick.

PS: the unlocking seems to be permanent and independent from the specific T-Mobile subscription SIM. Could immediately use a different T-Mobile SIM chip and get it working as well without any extra action at all.

Thanks again,
Stefan

Last edited:

EKurt

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey,

When I was running my unlocked 1520 on T-Mobile on the wp8.1 dev preview I had used these settings and MMS worked just fine. Once I reset everything and updated to wp8.1 my settings got wiped and now my MMS doesn't work. I used all the old settings but can't get picture messages. Anyone else having this issue after updating to the official OS?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
didn't have to do any of this when I install a T-Mobile sim in my L920. everything just works.
I'm guessing the new access point app + WP 8.1 Update is seamless!

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I had same problem. There is a new setting in cellular + SIM for manual enter internet APN. After I switched to on everything was back to normal.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am using Lumia 920 developer edition on Tmobile USA.

I can't do internet sharing anymore since upgrading to Windows Phone 8.1 (now on GDR1). It used to work fine on WP 8.0 with the keyboard language trick. Nothing seems to work now. It keeps asking to "Add Internet Sharing". I know Tmobile doesn't care if you tether or not since my plan throttles to 2G after 3GB anyway. I know it's possible since I can put my sim card to the Lumia 710 and tethering works fine with that phone. It appears to be a software issue. This is the most frustrating part of owning this phone since I don't know when this feature would stop working after an update.

jbreese00

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I cannot alter anything in the SIM - the options are not there to do so. Does anyone have any suggestions? I may just have to return the phones.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
This seems to no longer work on Cyan. I cannot get internet sharing to work on an unlocked 1020 on T-Mobile. I previously had it working just fine but I went back to 8.0 and took the cyan upgrade, and now it ain't working.
It seems like some kind of auto-config is now built into the firmware, and there's no way to stop it from "helpfully" running and screwing up our phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi